Sport DFW - 5 FA DTs that the Cowboys should target

Cowboyny

Reaction score
https://sportdfw.com/2021/02/10/dallas-cowboys-5-free-agent-defensive-tackles-target/

• Dalvin Tomlinson 6'3" and 317 lbs
  • Shelby Harris 6'3" and 300 lbs
  • Johnathan Hankins 6'2" and 325 lbs
  • DaQuan Jones 6'4" and 322 lbs
  • Poona Ford 5'11 and 311 lbs (my least favourite of the ones listed)
  • Bonus - Hassan Ridgeway 6'3" and 305 lbs
What do you all think of these options? I'd personally love to get Tomlinson in FA and Tufele and/or Tederrell Slaton (Floridda) in the draft at DT.

I think DaQuan Jones is next after Tomlinson. Surprised Lawrence Guy or Abry Jones didn't make their list.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://sportdfw.com/2021/02/10/dallas-cowboys-5-free-agent-defensive-tackles-target/

• Poona Ford 5'11 and 311 lbs (my least favorite of the ones listed)
What do you all think of these options? I'd personally love to get Tomlinson in FA and Tufele and/or Tederrell Slaton (Floridda) in the draft at DT.

I know a few posters/fans have Tomlinson on their radar but I'm guessing he's way out of price range. He's looking to get paid..

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know a few posters/fans have Tomlinson on their radar but I'm guessing he's way out of price range. He's looking to get paid..
Im skeptical Tomlinson maintains his pass rush production elsewhere. You sign him, you probably end up with the same thing you get with Jones or Hankins

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather draft some quality so we have it for a few years.

Hill and Gallimore are here. Woods is potentially the bubble if we bring in lots of guys. McCoy seems lined up to be a cheapo vet option.

I'd rather draft a DT or two high and play them, instead of playing a short timer vet who will keep us from drafting more DTs and putting the young ones we have on the field.

Lots of NTs/1Ts starting around round 3 too.
The only problem I see with your logic is the D needs so many players, at least four starters. It will be very tough to draft four starters. I think they will have to bring in a quality FA or two.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The only problem I see with your logic is the D needs so many players, at least four starters. It will be very tough to draft four starters. I think they will have to bring in a quality FA or two.

I want a basically all defence draft. However, we do need at least a bridge FA or two while they develop. JJ Watt would be good if we can get him. One or two of these FAs would be good too.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want a basically all defence draft. However, we do need at least a bridge FA or two while they develop. JJ Watt would be good if we can get him. One or two of these FAs would be good too.
I love JJ Watt, but don't feel DE is a position of need right now, starter wise anyway. I'd be in favor of bringing in D Tomlinson, the DT from the Giants or a great free safety.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I love JJ Watt, but don't feel DE is a position of need right now, starter wise anyway. I'd be in favor of bringing in D Tomlinson, the DT from the Giants or a great free safety.

Wouldn't JJ Watt be more of a 3T DT in the 4-3? I'd prefer Tomlinson or a great safety for a FA, but, since Jerry likes his bargain deals, JJ Watt would, imo, at least potentially give us a 3T that can serve as a bridge.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Wouldn't JJ Watt be more of a 3T DT in the 4-3? I'd prefer Tomlinson or a great safety for a FA, but, since Jerry likes his bargain deals, JJ Watt would, imo, at least potentially give us a 3T that can serve as a bridge.
He was moved all over with the Texans except maybe NT. I don't know if he's got the burst for playing 7 technique like Randy Gregory types anymore but 3T DT, 5T End, and 6T End should still be expected.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

• Poona Ford 5'11 and 311 lbs (my least favourite of the ones listed)

What do you think their contracts will look like? That plays a big part of which ones I'd want.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'd rather draft some quality so we have it for a few years.

Hill and Gallimore are here. Woods is potentially the bubble if we bring in lots of guys. McCoy seems lined up to be a cheapo vet option.

I'd rather draft a DT or two high and play them, instead of playing a short timer vet who will keep us from drafting more DTs and putting the young ones we have on the field.

Lots of NTs/1Ts starting around round 3 too.

i wouldn't be surprised if McCoy didnt make it out by final rostercut. Don't expect him to be healthy enough over that troublesome quad that team
even contract claused. and dunno how much he even has left. and he's making too much in a 2 year term to just be a rotation backup
( but we said same thing about Crawford)

i want to see what Hill and Gallimore has and give them every opportunity in 3 tech role vs a progress stopper.

With the 1 tech, a true stud vet would be the fastest path to instant improvement and impact, but we know how Stephen refuses to go that
path of seeking top notch vets in FA. i'd love Dalvin Thompson, but he's out of Stephen's market price.

Guarantee Stephen will ask McClay for the most cheapest street agent (ala Covington, Richard Ash, etc) and continue that route instead of
buying a Thompson or spending relatively high pick on a regarded 1 tech in the draft.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What do you think their contracts will look like? That plays a big part of which ones I'd want.

I'd guess that Tomlinson will be the most expensive of the bunch because he's the youngest. Given Jerry's tight purse strings, Tomlinson is probably out. JJ Watt, not on the list of course, is the most likely that we could afford imo IF Jerry can sell the Cowboys and why the Cowboys will be contenders to JJ Watt. Mainly because I think Watt will likely be the cheapest but most effective help we could get on defence that would fit what Jerry wants. The next most likely that the Cowboys would probably be able to get would probably be Shelby Harris because he's in his 30s, and probably would like to be better known. I don't think his asking price will be that much.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He was moved all over with the Texans except maybe NT. I don't know if he's got the burst for playing 7 technique like Randy Gregory types anymore but 3T DT, 5T End, and 6T End should still be expected.

Well yes, and that's my point tbh. He played in a 3-4 in Houston. We run a 4-3. So, I'm not so sure he'd be on the end anyway. I think he'd be a bit more inside on the DT spot, but may occasionally kick out to the end I suppose.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Well yes, and that's my point tbh. He played in a 3-4 in Houston. We run a 4-3. So, I'm not so sure he'd be on the end anyway. I think he'd be a bit more inside on the DT spot, but may occasionally kick out to the end I suppose.
Despite being in a 3-4 base, most teams still line up in a 4 man line in pass rush situations. So he has played those positions that the Cowboys use. Even Quinn's 4-3 uses some 3-4 type alignments where the left end is a 5T and their is a standup LB as the edge rusher on the other side.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Despite being in a 3-4 base, most teams still line up in a 4 man line in pass rush situations. So he has played those positions that the Cowboys use. Even Quinn's 4-3 uses some 3-4 type alignments where the left end is a 5T and their is a standup LB as the edge rusher on the other side.

Hmm, well, in that case, then I think JJ Watt may be EXACTLY what we need. He's not got the burst that he used to have, but he can be a nice bridge for us while what should be a lot of rookies develop. Plus, Jerry would enjoy this because it gives him more jersey sales and another player he can chalk up in the HOF for the Cowboys.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i wouldn't be surprised if McCoy didnt make it out by final rostercut. Don't expect him to be healthy enough over that troublesome quad that team
even contract claused. and dunno how much he even has left. and he's making too much in a 2 year term to just be a rotation backup
( but we said same thing about Crawford)

i want to see what Hill and Gallimore has and give them every opportunity in 3 tech role vs a progress stopper.

With the 1 tech, a true stud vet would be the fastest path to instant improvement and impact, but we know how Stephen refuses to go that
path of seeking top notch vets in FA. i'd love Dalvin Thompson, but he's out of Stephen's market price.

Guarantee Stephen will ask McClay for the most cheapest street agent (ala Covington, Richard Ash, etc) and continue that route instead of
buying a Thompson or spending relatively high pick on a regarded 1 tech in the draft.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillTr00.htm
Hill will be in his 3rd year, and he at best still only flashed, while more consistently being awful, and is coming off of injury. He has 333 career snaps. His Missed Tackle rate is around 30%, both years. I don't think I've ever seen someone over 15%. He's in his 3rd year and have never been more than a bad looking rookie. I'm not counting on him even competing as a starter. I want a younger DT who might have more promise. I see him as rotational pass rush at 3T.
Gallimore already has more snaps, and his Missed Tackle rate was 3.4%. He didn't see the world on fire either, but I think he's looking like a rotational player. I kind of like him as a balanced run/pass 1T. Seems stout, and his straight line speed and hustle will let him get a few sacks running down QBs.

Lots of 2-5 round DTs this year. We have comp picks in 3, 4, 5. I'd like to draft a presumptive run/pass *starter* at 3T over what we have, and a run stuffing developmental 1T behind Woods and Gallimore.

I agree about McCoy. I think he's a guy to consider a bonus if he can play. Not a guy to count on. He's fighting for a roster spot with Woods and Hill. Woods is RFA this year. His first season with us was his best PFF. Looks like he is what he is. I'll take cheap rotation when we have a solid starter, but he's pure progress stopper for developmental guys. I'd rather start Gallimore over Woods at 1T. Getting the picks I want, and no one getting injured, Woods is outta here. Could end up on our PS again if we cut him.

Go with 5, even with McCoy. We have to develop players. McCoy seems like a good guy to at least have around for camp, as he was reported to have been mentoring Gallimore. We could use one accomplished vet to set an example for the young guys.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Are they bare minimum cheap? Cheap being the key word. Add est and that is a bonus. We want the cheapest players allowed. Talent not required. Salary cap impact does.