Spotrac projects a 3 year, $180M extension for Dak Prescott

CWR

Reaction score
I am not gonna react till it actually happens.

I am still hoping Jimmy is really back in his inner circle.
I can't wrap my head around the urgency to get him signed if it's only going to INCREASE his cap number.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's Jerry's selection and that doesn't translate to the fan base accepting his inept @@@!
If you blindly follow and agree with everything Jerry does well good for you big guy!
Its a free country after all...............
Of course you accept it, you're still here, aren't you. Get it through that tiny skull, none of your constant whining is gonna change anything.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Who is Sportrac and I want verification that this indeed is the deal?
Can they provide the proof?
NO...........next, please.
How can you not be aware of this site?

It and over the cap are the two primary resources for player contract details.

It’s all just a projection anyway. It’s not an announcement of a deal.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
That number makes no sense. Why bother extending him if his hit will only go up? The talk about a need to extend him is based largely on reducing this years cap number. If thats the case I'm not even considering it.
That was my thought, I didn't say it because I don't care enough about the game anymore to keep up with the financial end.

But I agree with you, makes no sense to me.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's Jerry's selection and that doesn't translate to the fan base accepting his inept @@@!
If you blindly follow and agree with everything Jerry does well good for you big guy!
Its a free country after all...............
I don't agree with Jerry on many things when it comes to his GM duties, but I accept them. One, I can't do anything about it and two, it's not worth me getting worked up over. I've grown up quite a bit during my 7 years of retirement. Keeping things in perspective is a good thing.
Gotta go, taking my 88 year old dad to lunch. He doesn't even know who Jerry Jones or Dak Prescott are.....what a great life! Lol

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I hate every part of that projection. Honestly if you're going to extend Dak you might as well shoot for something longer, maybe 6 years + 2 void years and get some actual flexibility with the cap. This would be the exact same problems from the current contract duplicated. If you're going to pay the guy #1QB money, give him a full no trade clause, give make the deal nearly completely guaranteed you should at least get the benefit of not having to reup the guy again in two years when QB salaries are 70m+. Had Daks current deal been $40M per at 6 years instead of 4 this team would be so much better off.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Of course you accept it, you're still here, aren't you. Get it through that tiny skull, none of your constant whining is gonna change anything.
Neither is constantly playing hall monitor.

You out of all folks on here know how emotional football can be. I learned to just enjoy the parts I can 20 years ago, but a lot of these folks live and breathe Cowboys. I'm at the stage when I can go shooting with my girls and granddaughters during the game. And I'm a lot happier because of it.

But I get the people who go nuts over this stuff, I was there for many years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Who is Sportrac and I want verification that this indeed is the deal?
Can they provide the proof?
NO...........next, please.
It’s just a projection based on his age, performance, and contemporary NFL quarterback salaries/signings. They’re probably not far off, though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hate every part of that projection. Honestly if you're going to extend Dak you might as well shoot for something longer, maybe 6 years + 2 void years and get some actual flexibility with the cap. This would be the exact same problems from the current contract duplicated. If you're going to pay the guy #1QB money, give him a full no trade clause, give make the deal nearly completely guaranteed you should at least get the benefit of not having to reup the guy again in two years when QB salaries are 70m+. Had Daks current deal been $40M per at 6 years instead of 4 this team would be so much better off.
The 40 mil per or 60, etc are all talking points. The nuts and bolts of the contract are Cap hits.

For example the Cap hits for 40 mil per year were 17.19 and 26 mil so far which didn’t really strap us Cap wise. We could easily argue Dak was worth those Cap hits.

He’s not worth 59 mil cap hit and why the need to resign him to another deal. The back end of these deals is always the poison. The rest is huge signing bonuses which have no impact on Cap.

CWR

Reaction score
That was my thought, I didn't say it because I don't care enough about the game anymore to keep up with the financial end.

But I agree with you, makes no sense to me.
May as well wait and see if Lance can do something in that case. Isn't that why we traded for him in the first place?

Bunston10

Reaction score
$60m average over 3 years for a slightly better than average QB??!!
As least the Cowboys will probably be named the most valuable franchise for a couple of more years.
That's what matters isn't it Jerry?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s just a projection based on his age, performance, and contemporary NFL quarterback salaries/signings. They’re probably not far off, though.
Yea, with Cap increasing to over a quarter billion the new market price for QB is expected to reach 60.

But a big chunk will be paid in signing bonus with much less Cap hits until back end much like his current contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Daks cap hits last 3 seasons were 17, 19 and 26 million.

These big contracts are just talking points. We won’t be paying him 60 mil per year in Cap hits.