Spotrac projects a 3 year, $180M extension for Dak Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was worst timing for the league to have a down year in terms of QB performances that got Dak into the MVP conversation. Now he has that as leverage.

Whatever. Dak will be 31 so he has 4-5 years left with us before we move on to someone else.
I’m not sure the timing matters. Our owner is still “All In” on Dak.

Brax

Reaction score
There’s been one constant throughout this down era . Until he’s gone the frustration and disappointment will likely continue regardless who our QB and HC are.
You are correct and that’s why in a reply post I said it’s almost worth it to see Jerry in the box after another season end

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are correct and that’s why in a reply post I said it’s almost worth it to see Jerry in the box after another season end
Yep, a double edged sword. On one side we still root us on for 60 minutes each game but there is some satisfaction watching him squirm. No doubt a mixed bag of emotions.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes he’ll be around a few more years was in the cards as soon as Jerry resigned him. Sad to such ineptitude running the team. You know it’s worth seeing the pain that self inflicted on Jerry’s face every time the choker fails, as they say priceless just priceless.
If it makes you happy, more power to you. At least you're enjoying something.

Redline360

Reaction score
If Dak gets extended I dunno man. It's getting hard to support and watch this team anymore.

Entire league and fan base knows Dak is "not it". Well besides the few members on here that most be related to Dak

narcissism

Cowboys93

Reaction score
Has there ever been a situation as jarring as Dak when it comes to contract value? Serious question. Cousins is really the only comparable situation but even that is a little more straight forward imo

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Actually the Cowboys had ample Cap space these last 3 years they simply chose not to use.

I’m not sure most would argue 17, 19 and 26 mil Cap hits prevented Cowboys from signing anyone? And Dak arguably is at least a middle tier QB worthy of those cap hits.

And we will see what the new cap his are with new contract. They are usually back loaded with huge signing bonus . Obviously this years 59 mil Cap hit would be stifling and why they will resign a new contract.
I wont keep beating the dead horse going around and around on the semantics of this, but I will simply say that I disagree on the conclusion that Daks previous cap hits weren't that much. These were still among the highest cap hits in the league, including last year when Dak was top 5 among all cap hits in football and come with the massive issues on the back end which you've acknowledged. Plus when an extension happens it doesn't mean that the existing cap hits that have been deferred just go away entirely. The 3 year/180 projection in the link comes with $275M in cap hits among the length of the contact.

I just hope the Cowboys find a better solution than what was proposed here.

jgboys1

Reaction score
That number makes no sense. Why bother extending him if his hit will only go up? The talk about a need to extend him is based largely on reducing this years cap number. If thats the case I'm not even considering it.
Agree, but the reason they are extending him is because of Jerry's all in comment.

They are going to try and run it all back next season.

Once that blows up in Jerry's face, then Jerry will realize what a terrible mistake he made.

Reactions: CWR

MikeT22

Reaction score
Agree, but the reason they are extending him is because of Jerry's all in comment.

Once that blows up in Jerry's face, then Jerry will realize what a terrible mistake he made.
No, Jerry will just express his annual “shock” and vow to look in the mirror and do better.

CWR

Reaction score

I'm not sure Jerry will realize anything though. Hes not proven to learn from his mistakes, not often at least.

rambo2

Reaction score
They sucked for 8 years going on 9, a decade, do you even know what that is. 10 years of Garrett and now Dak catching up, let’s let go 4 more years, just so you know that will be more than a decade of Dak’s disaster's and your ok with that. Strange to say the least.
Lol, you think having a top qb and winning 12 games is sucking. Talk about strange. Totally crazy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, Jerry will just express his annual “shock” and vow to look in the mirror and do better.
Exactly. Deflection is a common narcissist tactic. It would not be unlike his repeated defense for not putting Jimmy Johnson in the Ring: "You know, Tex Schramm used to say..." :rolleyes:

The franchise has been banging its head against a glass ceiling on the field for three decades. Medium and large companies address progress obstacles from top-to-bottom. Top-level managers are often pink-slipped as well as folks down the chain.

The practice is commonly followed in the NFL. Trent Baalke was the 49ers' general manager when San Francisco were Super Bowl runner ups in 2012. The team later went with John Lynch as GM and returned to the Super Bowl twice. Not sure when Lynch will either retire, move on or get fired but it will happen in a reasonable timeframe.

Both men are examples of a franchise seeking different managerial oversight of football operations. Jerry Jones is the antithesis of what should be done in order to try achieving different results.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wont keep beating the dead horse going around and around on the semantics of this, but I will simply say that I disagree on the conclusion that Daks previous cap hits weren't that much. These were still among the highest cap hits in the league, including last year when Dak was top 5 among all cap hits in football and come with the massive issues on the back end which you've acknowledged. Plus when an extension happens it doesn't mean that the existing cap hits that have been deferred just go away entirely. The 3 year/180 projection in the link comes with $275M in cap hits among the length of the contact.

I just hope the Cowboys find a better solution than what was proposed here.
I didn’t mean to conclude those Cap hits weren’t that much. They were about 10% of team Cap. Last season of course was a tad higher. The bigger point I was making is it’s not anywhere near the talking points on the face value of the 40 mil per contract.

And it didn’t prevent us surrounding more support as we had cap space we simply chose not to use.