Spotrac projects a 3 year, $180M extension for Dak Prescott

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
All this for a choke artist, and folks wonder why the Cowboys suck the last 28 years, signing scum like Dak is a prime example
I am no Dak fan, but he is not scum. Dude works hard, plays hard, and doesn't get into trouble. He was the Walter Payton man of the year.. so he gives back to his community. And for 90% of the games he plays he is average to well above average. Now the 10% he is bad, are usually the times we need him to play better and I would not sign him to a new deal at all because of it but dude is not scum.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The 40 mil per or 60, etc are all talking points. The nuts and bolts of the contract are Cap hits.

For example the Cap hits for 40 mil per year were 17.19 and 26 mil so far which didn’t really strap us Cap wise. We could easily argue Dak was worth those Cap hits.

He’s not worth 59 mil cap hit and why the need to resign him to another deal. The back end of these deals is always the poison. The rest is huge signing bonuses which have no impact on Cap.
Sort of but not necessarily true. Yes you can manipulate the cap hits to some extent, but a $60m per salary is going to come with higher cap hits than a $40M per. The 17,19, and 26M hits are days of the past for Dak, and I would argue they did strap the Cowboys financially, because with all the backloaded money you couldn't sign free agents to long term deals. I knock Jerry all the time for not making plays in free agency, but the root cause there is the inability for this team to move on from players or at least not give them exactly what they demand....Dak, Zeke, Martin....soon to be Ceedee and Micah. Constantly signing shorter higher value deals never allows a team to get ahead of the cap. In the proposed scenario Dak resigns this year and still hits the Cowboys with $41M against the cap despite paying him up front bonus money of $76M. That cap hit goes up to $81M the following year and we are in cap hell all over again. This would be a nightmare contract situation for the Cowboys.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I am no Dak fan, but he is not scum. Dude works hard, plays hard, and doesn't get into trouble. He was the Walter Payton man of the year.. so he gives back to his community. And for 90% of the games he plays he is average to well above average. Now the 10% he is bad, are usually the times we need him to play better and I would not sign him to a new deal at all because of it but dude is not scum.
Well said. I'm all for finding alternatives to Dak, but fans are rough. This guy should be super easy to root for from a human standpoint.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sort of but not necessarily true. Yes you can manipulate the cap hits to some extent, but a $60m per salary is going to come with higher cap hits than a $40M per. The 17,19, and 26M hits are days of the past for Dak, and I would argue they did strap the Cowboys financially, because with all the backloaded money you couldn't sign free agents to long term deals. I knock Jerry all the time for not making plays in free agency, but the root cause there is the inability for this team to move on from players or at least not give them exactly what they demand....Dak, Zeke, Martin....soon to be Ceedee and Micah. Constantly signing shorter higher value deals never allows a team to get ahead of the cap. In the proposed scenario Dak resigns this year and still hits the Cowboys with $41M against the cap despite paying him up front bonus money of $76M. That cap hit goes up to $81M the following year and we are in cap hell all over again. This would be a nightmare contract situation for the Cowboys.
Actually the Cowboys had ample Cap space these last 3 years they simply chose not to use.

I’m not sure most would argue 17, 19 and 26 mil Cap hits prevented Cowboys from signing anyone? And Dak arguably is at least a middle tier QB worthy of those cap hits.

And we will see what the new cap his are with new contract. They are usually back loaded with huge signing bonus . Obviously this years 59 mil Cap hit would be stifling and why they will resign a new contract.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The OP who stated that is though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well said. I'm all for finding alternatives to Dak, but fans are rough. This guy should be super easy to root for from a human standpoint.
While most fans would welcome a heir apparent or even a completely fresh start , our owners appear still All In on Dak.

John813

Reaction score
That is bending over the Jones's, again, unless his 29 mil base from this year would be included in that total, as part of new guarantees, but I doubt it

Brax

Reaction score
But, he's your choke artist....you may not be wondering why we have sucked for 28 years, but he's still your QB.
Yes he’ll be around a few more years was in the cards as soon as Jerry resigned him. Sad to such ineptitude running the team. You know it’s worth seeing the pain that self inflicted on Jerry’s face every time the choker fails, as they say priceless just priceless.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Its a guess
How does this lower the cap hit?
The guess is their market rate analysis. Based on his age, performance and just general franchise QB value.

It lowers cap hit because the money will be doled out yearly as a massive roster bonus.
The 75M they theoretically hand him this year (which NYJ handed Rodgers last year BTW) will be split by 4.
Because he is owed 34 in base plus roster bonus
This will reduce that number by 16-18M.
Thus saving about 16-18M on the cap in 2024.
..........for massive future hits.

Each year they will add a void year for empty bonus calculation.

Brax

Reaction score
So you like to get rid of him and suck for a decade.
They sucked for 8 years going on 9, a decade, do you even know what that is. 10 years of Garrett and now Dak catching up, let’s let go 4 more years, just so you know that will be more than a decade of Dak’s disaster's and your ok with that. Strange to say the least.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It was worst timing for the league to have a down year in terms of QB performances that got Dak into the MVP conversation. Now he has that as leverage.

Whatever. Dak will be 31 so he has 4-5 years left with us before we move on to someone else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They sucked for 8 years going on 9, a decade, do you even know what that is. 10 years of Garrett and now Dak catching up, let’s let go 4 more years, just so you know that will be more than a decade of Dak’s disaster's and your ok with that. Strange to say the least.
There’s been one constant throughout this down era . Until he’s gone the frustration and disappointment will likely continue regardless who our QB and HC are.

Brax

Reaction score
Nobody knows what he is, it’s the public face you see, what’s behind the mask no one knows. He’s great at PR, it’s all about appearance. When all you crave is attention for your good deeds it’s it rings hollow, that’s just how I look at it, but we’ve all seen numerous times the PR public face isn’t the real face.