Spotrac's projected QB extensions based on calculated market value; What is Dak's?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You come out in full support for the players to seek and get as much money as they can, meanwhile you berate the Jones when they cave but are unable to create a team strong enough to reach a championship game. Hey, it's all for entertainment purposes. What does it matter as long as the players get as much money as they can?
I’m also not necessarily advocating for Dak to pursue his market value but speaking in a broader sense for all players.

And yes, these are very difficult decisions Mgmt must make. Is this player great enough to warrant the investment and what are effects if we don’t . It’s much to decipher .

But regardless the decision we can hold their feet to the fire. I could make an argument for either side.

Your intention AC are good. I get it . But my point stands it’s not the player’s responsibility to manage the Cap.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the new vogue of the NFL will have teams switching to really strong overall teams with rookie QBs or cheap QBs, with the rare exception of Mahomes level of QBs.
they have to. unless you luck into a Mahomes, that's the only option. Mahomes is generational.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't think any of those guys are worth those projected amounts.

Jordan Love might be worth it next season if he has a great 2024 season, but not after one season of starting.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing more and more teams start moving on from most quarterbacks after their rookie contracts.

Many NFL quarterbacks (all positions really) are not worth tying up that much cap space when they are an injury away from being done for the season.

At some point, when a player requires you invest more than 15% of the salary cap in them, it makes more sense to throw numbers at the position rather than gamble that 1) the player will perform as or better than expected and 2) they will avoid injuries and be able to play at their expected level all season.
+15% was always the money you had to invest into QBs. Its not something you all of a sudden have to manage nowadays. teams always did it.
QBs salaries climb as the salary cap climbs. yearly around 7-8%

Troy Aikman 18.8% when he signed in 1999.
Steven Young 18.1 in 1997
Brett Favre 17.1 in 2001
P. Manning 17.4 in 2004

just to name a few examples.

Flamma

Reaction score
So you think it was a good play design.
No. Just an ill advised pass. There was no time to fake a handoff and hit CD as he's making his break. So either don't do it, or don't throw it. I would like to think in most cases Dak has to recognize that. But I didn't watch the entire video. I will shortly.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
+15% was always the money you had to invest into QBs. Its not something you all of a sudden have to manage nowadays. teams always did it.

Brett Favre 17.1 in 2001
P. Manning 17.4 in 2004

That's true, but back then quarterbacks were the main position taking a chunk out of the salary cap.

Now though, non-QB positions are getting a larger percentage of the salary cap than they did back then so that either has to be offset through lowering the quarterback salary cap hit or by severely limiting the rest of the player pool by replacing veterans with rookie-contract players as much as possible.

For example, right now the salary cap in 2024 is set to be around $255 million. At 15%, the means the quarterback should be averaging $38.25 million per year.

Instead though, projections are showing around $50 million which is close to 20% and is too high when you have to pay star players in non-QB positions $25+ million unless you want to field a mostly recently-out-of-college rest of the team.

As I said in an earlier post though, I am okay with 15% or even a little higher if the quarterback 1) makes players around him much better, and 2) has proven he can win Super Bowls for you (ex: Mahomes).

All four of those you listed above won Super Bowls, three of which I believe won before they got those contracts. Peyton Manning was one of the rare exceptions but he ultimately won two Super Bowls.

To be clear, my comments are not really about Dak but rather all quarterbacks not named Mahomes at this point.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That's true, but back then quarterbacks were the main position taking a chunk out of the salary cap.

Now though, non-QB positions are getting a larger percentage of the salary cap than they did back then so that either has to be offset through lowering the quarterback salary cap hit or by severely limiting the rest of the player pool by replacing veterans with rookie-contract players as much as possible.

For example, right now the salary cap in 2024 is set to be around $255 million. At 15%, the means the quarterback should be averaging $38.25 million per year.

Instead though, projections are showing around $50 million which is close to 20% and is too high when you have to pay star players in non-QB positions $25+ million unless you want to field a mostly recently-out-of-college rest of the team.

As I said in an earlier post though, I am okay with 15% or even a little higher if the quarterback 1) makes players around him much better, and 2) has proven he can win Super Bowls for you (ex: Mahomes).

All four of those you listed above won Super Bowls, three of which I believe won before they got those contracts. Peyton Manning was one of the rare exceptions but he ultimately won two Super Bowls.

To be clear, my comments are not really about Dak but rather all quarterbacks not named Mahomes at this point.
I think that’s what’s going on with Dak and Cee Dee. Jerry trying to reset the market.

plymkr

Reaction score

Brett Favre 17.1 in 2001
P. Manning 17.4 in 2004

Nice work. I could live with 15%. I feel that’s reasonable. Getting upwards to 20%+ is starting to cripple teams.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that’s what’s going on with Dak and Cee Dee. Jerry trying to reset the market.
It's quite possible that's his goal, but unless all of the other teams collude to drive the price down (which is illegal of course), I don't see how that will work.

I have been saying all offseason that I believe the Cowboys are trying to reset their salary cap situation, so I think that's playing into their decisions, and lack thereof.

That said, I also think in Jerry's case, he has seen some of his deals backfire on him in recent years (Elliott, Gallup, etc.) so he's likely wanting to be more patient and wait closer to the expiration dates of current contracts before acting (or deciding against acting) on them.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's quite possible that's his goal, but unless all of the other teams collude to drive the price down (which is illegal of course), I don't see how that will work.

I have been saying all offseason that I believe the Cowboys are trying to reset their salary cap situation, so I think that's playing into their decisions, and lack thereof.

That said, I also think in Jerry's case, he has seen some of his deals backfire on him in recent years (Elliott, Gallup, etc.) so he's likely wanting to be more patient and wait closer to the expiration dates of current contracts before acting (or deciding against acting) on them.
Could be one of those decisions made with others over dinner and Johnny Walker Blue.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No. Just an ill advised pass. There was no time to fake a handoff and hit CD as he's making his break. So either don't do it, or don't throw it. I would like to think in most cases Dak has to recognize that. But I didn't watch the entire video. I will shortly.
So it was a dumb play design. Got it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Do you think the QB was justified by throwing it anyway?
8 years in the league, he should've audibled. Or, at least go to his next read, who was wide open.
So you are answering a question with a question.

Everyone knows it was a dumb play design.

RoboQB

Reaction score
So you are answering a question with a question.

Everyone knows it was a dumb play design.
An 8 year veteran QB should be able to read defenses,
pre-snap. If you can’t agree with this common fact,
I don't think we can continue.

Also, the play design, good or bad, doesn't suggest to throw regardless of coverage. In fact, it is BASED on
the coverage. Dak was a little late. He should've used that as a positive and immediately jump to his next read.
Which was probably Cooks, who was wide open standing
in the middle of the field.

Hey, it happens. QBs throw picks. The timing couldn't have been worse. It will haunt Dak until he gets to that point again and succeeds. I personally doubt that will
ever happen. He's just not a Championship QB.

Blaming the play design suggests the QB isn't smart
enough to recognize the defensive scheme. So, either
way, you're implying Dak is too dumb to audible out of the play or progress through his reads.

Thing is, if Dak was on time, Lamb would've been leveled by the guy who made the pick. Seems like a rookie QB play no matter what. Throw late, get your WR "killed" or throw a pick-6. All while already down 20.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
This is why draft picks have become more valuable. The rookie wage scale has ensured that these players come cheap. This is how a team beats the cap.

When will we see Dallas start to trade expensive vets for picks that will yield cheap players? Other teams do this so much more often than Dallas.

Both Super-Bowls teams held a Dallas draft pick. That speaks volumes.

Chasing6

Reaction score
An 8 year veteran QB should be able to read defenses,
pre-snap. If you can’t agree with this common fact,
I don't think we can continue.

Also, the play design, good or bad, doesn't suggest to throw regardless of coverage. In fact, it is BASED on
the coverage. Dak was a little late. He should've used that as a positive and immediately jump to his next read.
Which was probably Cooks, who was wide open standing
in the middle of the field.

Hey, it happens. QBs throw picks. The timing couldn't have been worse. It will haunt Dak until he gets to that point again and succeeds. I personally doubt that will
ever happen. He's just not a Championship QB.

Blaming the play design suggests the QB isn't smart
enough to recognize the defensive scheme. So, either
way, you're implying Dak is too dumb to audible out of the play or progress through his reads.

Thing is, if Dak was on time, Lamb would've been leveled by the guy who made the pick. Seems like a rookie QB play no matter what. Throw late, get your WR "killed" or throw a pick-6. All while already down 20.
My last comment was ending the conversation.

Flamma

Reaction score
Do you think the QB was justified by throwing it anyway?
8 years in the league, he should've audibled. Or, at least go to his next read, who was wide open.
I was a garbage decision to throw that ball. I don't care what the play design was. Bad play design and a QB making a dumb throw because playoffs make him nervous are two totally different things.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
(In  bold ^^^): How would teams not benefit from the middle years of a contract where a great player is not getting top of the market pay if a cap or % limit is set for a QB?
1. I don’t want a cap mandated by the league, it’s a crutch for poor front offices. Teams can certainly negotiate contracts that way if they choose to.
2. When a QB signs a contract for top of the market, in year 3-4 they are typically no longer top of the market due to other contracts surpassing theirs. If a team tied a salary to % of the cap that saving wouldn't occur at near the same level because the QB would be getting a raise with each cap increase.

Chasing6

Reaction score
1. I don’t want a cap mandated by the league, it’s a crutch for poor front offices. Teams can certainly negotiate contracts that way if they choose to.
2. When a QB signs a contract for top of the market, in year 3-4 they are typically no longer top of the market due to other contracts surpassing theirs. If a team tied a salary to % of the cap that saving wouldn't occur at near the same level because the QB would be getting a raise with each cap increase.
Just because our GM has no clue does not mean we need to change rules to over compensate for his incompetence.