Spotrac's projected QB extensions based on calculated market value; What is Dak's?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you think the QB was justified by throwing it anyway?
8 years in the league, he should've audibled. Or, at least go to his next read, who was wide open.
Good question. Agreed. Dak has some responsibility for that pick-6. 8 years in the league and already experienced the same bad effect in recent previous playoff losses, Dak certainly should have audibled out of it or called a timeout. As well, this play design should never have been allowed in the playbook. It obvious the Packers did their film study homework and understood there might be a chance the Cowboys might run this same failed play again from previous playoff mistakes. Right on cue, it happened.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're saying $50 million paid in 1 year....yes, count it...1 year....is not enough for any player from any sport? Is that what you're truly saying, G?
No, I’m saying they should pursue what the market bears like any entertainer or artists.

Why should athletes be any different than a Rock Star, Leading Actor or any widely popular celebrity .

We don’t seem to have a problem with an entertainer making that kind of money. Why an athlete?

The NFL is entertainment just like any other programming broadcast on TV. The money is there.

conner01

Reaction score
I hear and agree with @Reality and @CowboysFaninHouston . I truly believe the NFL needs to put a cap on the amount paid for franchise QBs. That might help every team keep more talent and make the game more competitive.
That would be a hard sell. The players would have to agree to it and even though the majority of players would benefit financially from it, players aren’t likely to agree to a cap within the cap on any position

conner01

Reaction score
As much as I love the idea. I'm not for making rules to save you from yourself. How about they don't count QB contracts against the cap? They won't do that because it will cost them more.
And players aren’t gonna agree to capping any positions since their position could be next. It’s a non starter.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, I’m saying they should pursue what the market bears like any entertainer or artists.

Why should athletes be any different than a Rock Star, Leading Actor or any widely popular celebrity .

We don’t seem to have a problem with an entertainer making that kind of money. Why an athlete?

The NFL is entertainment just like any other programming broadcast on TV. The money is there.
Ok, then don't complain or blame Jerry or Stephen Jones for the Cowboys not able to reach any kind of championship game in the playoffs. If you're all for the players getting as much money as they can, don't complain or blame the Cowboys front office anymore.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Last time I checked I haven’t seen any Rock Stars giving a discount so more fans can afford it. Why , cause they can sell out current price.

It’s the same for Leading Actors. They are the main act and drawing card and can demand top dollar.

QB’s in the NFL are like Leading Actors and Rock Stars.

Not sure why we have an issue with athletes making whatever the market will bear?

It’s up to the organizations to manage their budgets not the players. I don’t recall an actor or artist saying , I’ll take a little less in order to bring in some more talent.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That would be a hard sell. The players would have to agree to it and even though the majority of players would benefit financially from it, players aren’t likely to agree to a cap within the cap on any position
Well, the players' greed (along with their agents and the NFLPA) is what has caused this Cowboys franchise to reach any championship game for the past 29 years and counting.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ok, then don't complain or blame Jerry or Stephen Jones for the Cowboys not able to reach any kind of championship game in the playoffs. If you're all for the players getting as much money as they can, don't complain or blame the Cowboys front office anymore.
It’s up to each organization to manage their own budget. If they misevaluate talent or overpay then we can hold their feet to the fire.

Not sure why we are ok with owners and networks making billions and yet upset with players , the main actors in the business and product for pursuing their share, which the owners are more than willing to pay.

You can’t have it both ways. These players are the product which generate the billions of dollars for everyone involved and why the owners are willing to shell it out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Last time I checked I haven’t seen any Rock Stars giving a discount so more fans can afford it. Why , cause they can sell out current price.

It’s the same for Leading Actors. They are the main act and drawing card and can demand top dollar.

QB’s in the NFL are like Leading Actors and Rock Stars.

Not sure why we have an issue with athletes making whatever the market will bear?

It’s up to the organizations to manage their budgets not the players. I don’t recall an actor or artist saying , I’ll take a little less in order to bring in some more talent.
Funny you brought up Hollywood, the film making business and their budgets. Have you ever worked in the film making business, G? Do you understand there are budgets in every movie made? Even there you have to determine how to slice up the pie, how many slices to distribute to whom and which actors can be afforded. You can have one of the highest paid actors as your lead, but if you can't afford good supporting actors, your film is not going to be very good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, the players' greed (along with their agents and the NFLPA) is what has caused this Cowboys franchise to reach any championship game for the past 29 years and counting.
No, it’s the mismanagement of our franchise which has caused it. Other franchises have figured it out. Even if for a brief time.

The Cowboys are one of a handful of teams this era which haven’t been at least reach a championship game setting historic NFL futility marks.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s up to each organization to manage their own budget. If they misevaluate talent or overpay then we can hold their feet to the fire.

Not sure why we are ok with owners and networks making billions and yet upset with players , the main actors in the business and product for pursuing their share, which the owners are more than willing to pay.

You can’t have it both ways. These players are the product which generate the billions of dollars for everyone involved and why the owners are willing to shell it out.
THERE IS A SALARY CAP IN EFFECT

It's not that hard to understand.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny you brought up Hollywood, the film making business and their budgets. Have you ever worked in the film making business, G? Do you understand there are budgets in every movie made? Even there you have to determine how to slice up the pie, how many slices to distribute to whom and which actors can be afforded. You can have one of the highest paid actors as your lead, but if you can't afford good supporting actors, your film is not going to be very good.
Yes but that’s not preventing Leading Actors to pursue top dollar. In many cases those personalities is what draws fan in.

We have to come to terms that the NFL has become an entertainment entity like others broadcast to the public , not just a football league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans continue placing winning championships above the greed of the league, networks , sponsors and the players.

It’s why players are more than willing to bolt for other teams for bigger contracts. Winning is not as high a priority for most players.

This is sports entertainment at the highest level. These players aren’t just athletes or football players.

They are entertainers and the core product which generates billions each year and the league is more than willing to share half of their revenue with them.

It’s up to each organization not the players to manage it,

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Rather than placing a dollar limit on a specific position, there could be a percentage limit for any single player. For example: "no player may account for more than 25% of the salary cap".

This would benefit the majority of players in the league. This type of rule is really not much different than the salary cap in general, franchise tags, rookie wage scales, etc...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rather than placing a dollar limit on a specific position, there could be a percentage limit for any single player. For example: "no player may account for more than 25% of the salary cap".

This would benefit the majority of players in the league. This type of rule is really not much different than the salary cap in general, franchise tags, rookie wage scales, etc...
I’d be in favor of setting Cap amounts or percentages per position. But I can’t imagine the owners or players agreeing to it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Fans continue placing winning championships above the greed of the league, networks , sponsors and the players.

It’s why players are more than willing to bolt for other teams for bigger contracts. Winning is not as high a priority for most players.

This is sports entertainment at the highest level. These players aren’t just athletes or football players.

They are entertainers and the core product which generates billions each year and the league is more than willing to share half of their revenue with them.

It’s up to each organization not the players to manage it,
You come out in full support for the players to seek and get as much money as they can, meanwhile you berate the Jones when they cave but are unable to create a team strong enough to reach a championship game. Hey, it's all for entertainment purposes. What does it matter as long as the players get as much money as they can?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You come out in full support for the players to seek and get as much money as they can, meanwhile you berate the Jones when they cave but are unable to create a team strong enough to reach a championship game. Hey, it's all for entertainment purposes. What does it matter as long as the players get as much money as they can?
You’re missing or unwilling to accept the overall or broader point here. Probably cause it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Yes, it is for entertainment purposes. It’s a business first. And yes it’s a football league as well . It’s all intertwined.

And business at hand on the field is building a good of team as possible within the rules. Like I said earlier most teams have figured it out this Cap era to at least reach a championship game.

The reasons we haven’t can be argue but we can still hold our management responsible.