Spotrac's projected QB extensions based on calculated market value; What is Dak's?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I just watched the first one and I don't see how that's not Dak's fault. If the play fake slowed you down too much, don't throw it. That WR, Lamb I think, needed to be hit on his break, not 3 steps later. Quick 5 yard slants shouldn't be picked off by a S starting out 15 yards off the LOS.
So you think it was a good play design.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
This is up to the discretion of the GM.

So 2020 the salary cap was just under $200M. How did KC sign Mahomes to a $45M 10 year deal? That is 22.5%.
You are correct. It is up to the discretion of the GM.

My point is that usually a union negotiates contracts. Take a teacher's union for example. A teacher that has 10 years of experience with a master's degree makes X. A teacher with 5 years experience and a master's degree makes less than X. Each individual teacher does not negotiate their salary. It is done collectively.

With that said, it makes sense to me for the NFL player's union to say that a QB with 5 years experience makes X. A QB with 5 years experience and an MVP (or whatever metric) makes a little more than X. This would ensure the money is divided up more or less equally amongst all the players which is who the NFL player's union represents.

I don't have a lot of experience with unions that allow workers to negotiate salary individually, though I am sure they do exist.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I just watched the first one and I don't see how that's not Dak's fault. If the play fake slowed you down too much, don't throw it. That WR, Lamb I think, needed to be hit on his break, not 3 steps later. Quick 5 yard slants shouldn't be picked off by a S starting out 15 yards off the LOS.
The only thing Dak is guilty of is not confronting his O-Coordinator, head coach, QB and WRs coaches about this play. It's a quick hitting play. Play-action should have NEVER been included on such a quick hitting play. Kurt Warner made this clear. This play-action does nothing but slow down your QB. Plus, the twin set WRs should have never been made to run the same 5 yard depth before both slanting inside. All that did was allow the Safety from 15 yards out to run up and cover both receivers at the same time, thus ending in an easy pick-6.

This same play ended with the same result during the playoffs loss at San Francisco before. Kurt Warner broke it down and mentioned its drawn up mistake the same way back then, but clearly, this coaching staff never picked it up or correctly changed the play design.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is very similar to what one agent projected for Dak ($52M average) and my guess is this close to the range of Jerry's offer
I agree. Dak and his agent are likely asking for much more, hence why the delay in not signing a new contract extension. I don't blame Jerry for standing firm.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
They’re both his fault, although the first was less his fault and was also a good play by the CB too, who beat Cook to the ball, which Dak threw a bit too late and too far out in front of him, so the receiver could not shield the ball and make the defender go through him which would’ve been a PI. The second was just an awful read, a stare down of CeeDee when Cooks was wide open.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s two types of teams in the NFL. One with a Franchise QB( not necessarily elite) and those looking for one .

Teams often spend excessive amount of draft capital trading away picks and players to move up with about half becoming a bust or under achieving .

It’s the highest risk position in the NFL. So when you think you one you tend to pull out all of the stops to retain him which includes over paying. Because the alternatives aren’t as attractive starting over looking for another Franchise QB.

The league this era under Salary Cap has never been more dependent on the QB position especially in a more pass happy league. Without at least an average Franchise QB your likelihood of making the playoffs are slim depending on the rare generational defense to carry you.

NFL is an entertainment business by their own definition now and the QB is their leading actor for most franchises. It’s really difficult to promote your product and hype your brand without one as they can be driving force for marketing and sponsorship.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Very fair point. If that's the case they reap what they sew.

Unfortunately for us, our owner struggles with it while others find a way to work around it.
Ironic since our owner was one of the biggest supporters of it.

Arrogance at its finest.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s no doubt that the percentage of Cap space a QB is costing teams definitely is a hinderance in building a quality roster throughout.

But there’s entirely too much equity and importance for the QB position not only in the pursuit of success on the field but what it means for franchises to have a QB which makes the team a relevant playoff contender.

Of course the greater the QB is makes it easier to build around but like our owner has often said the initial priority is being relative . And nothing worse for teams is continually looking for another QB which can directly link to years of struggle missing the playoffs.

It’s why once you find one you’re willing to back up the truck. Rarely do we see teams walk away from a playoff caliber QB. Some fans are SB or Bust but not owners. A consistent playoff contender is much more lucrative despite whatever frustration and disappointment come along.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’d say all of those are low. And I’d expect them to be higher especially based on Goff’s recent contract.
True, but Dak could do the team right by accepting $50 mil/season. That would be $5 - $7 million discount per season the team needs and could use to help keep or bring in another weapon. Dak would also look good among Cowboys Nation. The ball is in his court.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True, but Dak could do the team right by accepting $50 mil/season. That would be $5 - $7 million discount per season the team needs and could use to help keep or bring in another weapon. Dak would also look good among Cowboys Nation. The ball is in his court.
It’s really unreasonable for us to expect Prescott the take less than the market will bear. Most of his detractors wouldn’t pay him 40 much less 50. It just becomes a talking point.

Players careers can end on the next snap. And they can be released basically at any time . I’m all for them pursuing the most they can. Ultimately it’s up to the owners and GM’s to manage the budget not the players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue the ball is in the Cowboys FO court. Dak holds all of the cards here. Either pay me now or I’ll move on.

His only risk is injury which could hinder his value in FA next year.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Raw talent is not results. Trance most likely has more raw talent. QB is an intellectual position first and foremost. See Tom Brady.
Ok, an intellectual would understand there is more than one receiver on a route during the play.

RoboQB

Reaction score
"Kurt Warner said.... Kurt Warner said..."
My goodness. I wonder what Linda Warner says.

"Hey, this is a terrible play call against this defense.
What do I do. Check out of it pre-snap? Jump to my 2nd read? Nah, I'll just throw it. Kurt Warner will save me and
some nut bag on a message board will claim it to be
what "really" happened."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue with the Cap ever increasing each season over 10% this year to a quarter billion, that saving 5 or 6 million isn’t buying you much.

Much more critical to secure a QB who can take you to the playoffs. What’s our alternative? All unknowns.

Despite whatever disappointment and frustrations we have had with Prescott I can’t imagine our FO walking away.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Seems like all NFL teams are currently caught up in a merry-go-round. They are all gleeful riders. The name of the ride is "Overpay the QB." GM types must pay their guy more than the last like QB made. The next guy to sign will get a few million more than the last. And the merry-go-round keeps spinning.

I say it is an out of control ride and border line insanity.

The smart thing to do is to offer any player what he deserves based on past performance. Avoid high priced contracts to guys who do not deserve them. Do not extend players too early. In the best interest of the club avoid "cap hell" if at all possible.

Posters here argue with me that Prescott must be extended with an enormous contract. NO. He needs to be offered a fair contract in line to his value based on his past performance. It is not about what Jalen Hurts or Kirk Cousins or Trevor Lawrence get. It is about Dak and his value to the Cowboys.

Folks here say Dak will not sign that "value" contract. Perhaps not but he just may in the end. If not people argue that then he walks and we do not get our comp picks or anything else. So, Duh. Give me the cap room to sign quality FAs rather than unproven mid to low round comp picks in the draft.

Bad contracts have plagued the Cowboys for a long time now. IMO offer Prescott what he is worth TO THE TEAM. Offer Lamb what he is worth knowing that the franchise tag is out there and with it an additional year to work on an extension. Tell Parson it is way too early to talk an extension; perhaps at the end of the 2024 season; perhaps longer.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s really unreasonable for us to expect Prescott the take less than the market will bear. Most of his detractors wouldn’t pay him 40 much less 50. It just becomes a talking point.

Players careers can end on the next snap. And they can be released basically at any time . I’m all for them pursuing the most they can. Ultimately it’s up to the owners and GM’s to manage the budget not the players.
You're saying $50 million paid in 1 year....yes, count it...1 year....is not enough for any player from any sport? Is that what you're truly saying, G?