News: ST: Cowboys QB coach Wade Wilson takes personal leave

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Interesting to see how this develops. If Wade can't return, I think it would up the odds of a vet mentor-type backup. Of course, that only works if we get Showers or Dak onto the PS.

Another possibility is that we bring in a consultant type to help with the QBs.

Whatever we do, with young guys on the roster we really need someone who can give them enough attention

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jesus Christ. A human being leaves for personal reasons - likely medical - and you guys are like sharks sniffing out blood.

You should all be absolutely ashamed of yourselves, but this is CowboysZone, so I'm not surprised.
1153359.jpg

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Interesting to see how this develops. If Wade can't return, I think it would up the odds of a vet mentor-type backup. Of course, that only works if we get Showers or Dak onto the PS.

Another possibility is that we bring in a consultant type to help with the QBs.

Whatever we do, with young guys on the roster we really need someone who can give them enough attention

And therein lies the delema, with the two young guys, plus Romo coming off sugery. Romo cannot spend most of his time mentoring the young guys. Garrett or
Linahan (sp) have other duties and cannot give enough time to the rookie and 1st year player.
My views on Wilson as a coach are not my views on him as a person, if he is having ongoing medical problems I hope he gets thru it and can have a healthy, productive life.
But the timing of this is absolutely terrible, it just adds to everything thats already gojng on.
This team needs a QB coach, now more than ever. If the FO plan is to develope at an accelerated pace, the two QBs and not bring in a vet - who the hell is doing the developing ?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys have some strong feelings about Wilson without a shred of actual evidence how he coaches or how that compares to other teams.

Other than Tony, indeed. Last I checked, Tony's a pretty good QB. Oh, wait, that's right. He was only coached by other coaches no longer on the roster, because that makes a lot of sense and fits the narrative you've ginned up better.

I have no real idea whether or not Wilson really is a good coach, but I wish him the best with the health problem.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade Wilson didn't groom Romo. That's not an opinion. It's a fact. It's also a fact that Romo credits David Lee with his development. Ya know, the coach that was actually there when Romo arrived. Not the coach who showed up his 5th year in the league.

In fact, the group responsible for finding and developing Romo began that journey by not retaining Wade Wilson as the QB coach.

It reeks of desperation to attach Wilson to Romo. It's also wrong.

TNT

Reaction score
“Certainly we think Weeden has really progressed. As [Cowboys quarterbacks coach] Wade Wilson said, he’s just not the same guy that we had last year. He’s progressed that much. He said that before we had this issue with Tony. I think we all feel good about what we got.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/22/jerry-jones-you-wont-see-a-more-gifted-passer

Early in the game commentator John Lynch shared a conversation he had with Cassell, in the conversation, Cassell shared with Lynch that the week he was named starter he couldn't find a coach to coach him. Did anyone find that comment disturbing? He must've shared that with Lynch for a reason. Maybe it's a non-issue because he's a vet, but I always presumed that if someone wanted to get coached up a coach would be available.

Matt Cassell couldn't find a coach to coach him

So don't say people's opinion on him is baseless.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He'll be back....probably.
Wade Wilson didn't groom Romo. That's not an opinion. It's a fact. It's also a fact that Romo credits David Lee with his development. Ya know, the coach that was actually there when Romo arrived. Not the coach who showed up his 5th year in the league.

In fact, the group responsible for finding and developing Romo began that journey by not retaining Wade Wilson as the QB coach.

Romo has a good relationship with Wilson and speaks highly of him. While Lee and Payton had a lot to do with his development, saying he learned it all, by himself, by year five of which he didn't even play that entire time. It's dismissing most of the last decade. Romo gets most of the credit for the hard work but dismissing any of his mentors is unjustified.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There's a difference between grooming and coaching, and nobody said Wilson groomed Tony.

Romo's respect for David Lee is well documented and brought up in each of these threads. As is the fact that players work on their games continuously throughout their careers as Romo does.

It doesn't change the fact that everybody hates Wilson without a clue as to what he actually does or doesn't do or how well he does or doesn't do it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Certainly we think Weeden has really progressed. As [Cowboys quarterbacks coach] Wade Wilson said, he’s just not the same guy that we had last year. He’s progressed that much. He said that before we had this issue with Tony. I think we all feel good about what we got.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/22/jerry-jones-you-wont-see-a-more-gifted-passer

Early in the game commentator John Lynch shared a conversation he had with Cassell, in the conversation, Cassell shared with Lynch that the week he was named starter he couldn't find a coach to coach him. Did anyone find that comment disturbing? He must've shared that with Lynch for a reason. Maybe it's a non-issue because he's a vet, but I always presumed that if someone wanted to get coached up a coach would be available.

Matt Cassell couldn't find a coach to coach him

So don't say people's opinion on him is baseless.

Which are you basing yours on? You don't think Weeden improved v. the prior year? Or you're suggesting Wade should have been working with Cassel and not Weeden the week Cassel came into town? Assuming that poster's paraphrased comment re what Cassel reportedly said to Lynch was accurate and complete?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He already is the OC since he has to change all the plays at the line

Notice when plays not changed we lose every game
Audibling out of whatever play Linehan has call to be run does seem to be the way to win. Our backup QBs don't do it so there you go... last year in a nutshell.