News: ST: The Cooper effect. How an unsatisfied Amari Cooper has improved the Cowboys offense

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dez the decoy bad.

Cooper + the first round pick the decoy good.

I hate the idea of spending resources on players that we can't use.

That's why I was one of the handful on here who was happy with LVE over Ridley.

We can actually use LVE. Ridley or any WR is just a waste. I'd rather have a TE .

We don't need to spend a first rounder on a guy to run off coverage. Dak's still a 200 yard passer.

The problem with Dez is that he ceased to be an effective decoy.

But I agree about the TE. That's a better place for us to spend resources than WR. Even with Swaim out, and only the JV squad to put in his place, we kept putting TEs on the field. Our offense is still playing personnel like we've got Witten from the 2000s. "Next man up".

TE is a guy we'll always play, and good ones can have great longevity because they spend their careers getting tackled by players smaller than they are.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
unless dak really picks up his play the cowboys are not superbowl contenders they may make the playoffs and with garrett as head coach that is doubtful unless they beat Washington then they aren't going to the playoffs

Blackrain

Reaction score
Because it's fools gold and the easily impressed like yourself don't get that

Yea well Im going to appreciate progress when I see it and if we can some how win the division and make the playoffs that's great . I will be impressed when we get a real coaching staff so we can win if we do make the playoffs . Till then I will try to cheer the progress I see made by our players in spite of the coaching

Blackrain

Reaction score
I find it amusing you guys have these debates and heated discussions every week, and have been for years (been lurking awhile :p). None of the arguments about players or drafts matter, because I'm going to tell you something you can take to the bank:

As long as Garret is the coach and Linehan is running the offense, this team will never go to a super bowl.

That is a given, making the playoffs is all we can hope for with this coaching staff

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He has made a difference for quarterback Dak Prescott, running back Ezekiel Elliott as well as the team’s efficiency on third down.

Before the trade, the Cowboys were 29 of 91 (31.9%) on third down to rank 29th in NFL. After the trade, they have been 20 of 40 (50%), ranking 8th in NFL.

“It seems like he kind of was the missing piece, just because when he got here this offense started rolling,” Elliott said of Cooper. “It’s great having him. He’s a phenomenal player. He’s going to have a great future here.”

Cooper’s presence has had a huge impact on Elliott, who is coming off back-to-back games of 151 and 122 yards rushing against the Eagles and Falcons. The coverage of Cooper on the outside has loosened things up for Elliott on the ground.

“Definitely. I’d say so. We’ve talked about that for a couple weeks now,” Prescott said. The way teams are playing us and the way they’re playing Amari [Cooper] and adjusting their coverages has given us favorable boxes. The offensive line is doing a great job of taking advantage of that. [Ezekiel Elliott] Zeke’s finding holes and making people miss.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article221944725.html#storylink=cpy

I think Cooper is making difference, now where we have to make it pay off is redzone, Dallas is settling for too many FG and this team has to kick it up a notch and put it in the endzone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think it's false to suggest any team completely ignores needs and goes with best player available regardless of how much better that player is than someone who fills a position of greater need, or regardless of whether the team is already well set at the position that player plays. For example, it doesn't matter if the best player available when the Rams pick in the 1st round is a QB or RB, they are not going to take a QB or RB. The reality is need is a factor for every team.
I don't no disagree. I'm not knocking the Cowboys approach to the draft. I'm knocking those that think there wasn't a possibility that the Cowboys would've taken a receiver in the first round next year.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Third down Conversion %:

Before Cooper = 31%, (29th in the league)

(last three games) 50% (7th in the league)

The impact on Prescott:

His completion percentage before Cooper’s arrival was 62.1. It has been 69.7 since.

His quarterback rating was 87.4 before and is 96.4 after.

He averaged 202.4 passing yards per game before and is at 240.3 after.

His yards per attempt has gone up from 6.9 to 7.3.

And of course, the Cowboys have a 2-1 record.

The main difference has been Zeke (indcluding Dak's numbers. He's averaging an additional 30 yards receiving a game).

The offense, except for Zeke (and OL) hasn't really been any better.

Lots of dump offs and screens (WRs and RBs).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't no disagree. I'm not knocking the Cowboys approach to the draft. I'm knocking those that think there wasn't a possibility that the Cowboys would've taken a receiver in the first round next year.

I think had we not traded for Cooper there was a very high possibility we would have taken a receiver. Obviously we can't say that is certain, but even if another position would have been the choice, we can't knock the choice made if Cooper can make a big difference. There is value in having a level of knowledge that he can play in the NFL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not entirely accurate.

For example, Smith was absolutely a BPA pick. Cowboys had a first round draft grade on him even after the knee injury (FWIW, they had Jack rated right behind him in the first round). Elliott was also the BPA on their board when they drafted 4th. In fact, he was their top rated prospect in the entire draft. So he was as much BPA as need.

Gregory was also BPA. They also had a first round grade on him and when he fell due to drug issues, he was an easy selection for them.
They were also needs. You guys are getting off track. This was about whether or not the Cowboys would take a receiver in the first next year and as of now? It's too early to tell either way but knowing their needs...it the bpa is a tight end or receiver they would take them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think it was likely Dallas would have gone WR in the 1st rd pending on who would be on the board. Cooper a 4th overall pick is going to cost via the contract but talent wise we have an outstanding player in Cooper and given his age I see no reason he will not be here for a good while.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Yea well Im going to appreciate progress when I see it and if we can some how win the division and make the playoffs that's great . I will be impressed when we get a real coaching staff so we can win if we do make the playoffs . Till then I will try to cheer the progress I see made by our players in spite of the coaching
I get it you're easy to impress so this is so awesome to you on offense. Go ahead be a cheerleader for avg play. I just stated you're easily impressed by avg stuff. I will be impressed when we get a real qb to go along with the real coaching staff. Until then all of this is fools gold.

Sydla

Reaction score

No one has ever suggested that the Cowboys would never take a WR in the first round. What people have said is that it's bogus that people are suggesting it's OK we traded a 1st round pick for a WR because we were going to use our first round pick on a WR anyway.

Sydla

Reaction score
They were also needs. You guys are getting off track. This was about whether or not the Cowboys would take a receiver in the first next year and as of now? It's too early to tell either way but knowing their needs...it the bpa is a tight end or receiver they would take them.

LOL.

This is what people have been saying. That when people justify the trade for Cooper by suggesting we were going to use the first round pick on a WR anyway, that's a bogus claim because no one has a clue, what the Cowboys would have used their 1st round pick on. It could have been a WR. Or a S. Or a DT. Or a DE. We just don't know.

So you can't justify the trade by saying we were taking a WR anyway so it's all a wash.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'd bet strength of competition has been the biggest difference in the games since he got here. Tennessee was pretty decent; Philly was below average trending down (we all saw that Saints game) and Atlanta has been abysmal. Atlanta is one of the worst defenses in the league.

Sure, he helps some, but it's way too soon to say he's been a huge difference maker. Jury is still very out on if he was worth that first.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it you're easy to impress so this is so awesome to you on offense. Go ahead be a cheerleader for avg play. I just stated you're easily impressed by avg stuff. I will be impressed when we get a real qb to go along with the real coaching staff. Until then all of this is fools gold.

Don't be a jerk. He's a fan, and it's nonsense to be a jerk to a fan simply because he cheers for the team even when things are down. Isn't cheering for the team to succeed the very basis of what a fan is?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Punctuation can be your friend. And the friend of the reader.
,,,er,,,well,ya know there @OmerV?,,, Some folks,seemingly, just don't groove to that whole forum vibration of the punctuation,I'm thinking? ,,,and,,,well? I'm pretty peachy in a genuine Jim Dandy degree sorta' way ,,,ah,,, with that, on most accounts of general consideration,that is.o_O

:starspin::lmao2::starspin:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The Cowboys had 323 total yards against a porous Atlanta defense.

I am extremely confused by this thread. Is that good? Someone explain it to me.

Atl average is allowing 405 yard per game, so in that respect obviously not.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather they use their first round pick on the best player available at that pick, which is what they likely would have done if you follow their draft patterns of the last few years.

You guys have bought hook, line and sinker this lame rationale that it's OK we traded a first for Cooper because we were going to definitely use our first round pick on a WR next year. Despite not having a clue where we would be picking in the first round, what WRs would be in the draft in 2019, etc.

If there was no salary cap, all probabilities favor trading for Cooper.

If you could put the exact 2018 version of Cooper in college football, he would easily be a top 10 pick in 2019 and more likely top 3.

The highest probability is that the Cowboys finish about where they finished last year or slightly better.

The ONLY legit issue is that a draft pick would be on a rookie contract for 5 years including the 5th year option.

Cooper will require significantly more cap Dollars over those 5 years than a draft pick.

There is some offset in that most draft picks, especially WRs are limited contributors as rookies while Cooper (currently 24 years old) will be at his very peak in that time frame.

They also saved some cap dollars as compared to the scenario where they signed a free agent WR like Watkins prior to this season. They get 1.5 years of Cooper for less than 15M vs 36M for 2 years of Watkins.

I was not in favor of giving up even a 2nd for Earl Thomas based on cap issues and his age, but getting a legit #1 WR at 24 years old is a very valuable asset, especially considering the fail rate of WRs in the draft and the lack of availability of legit #1 WRs in free agency.

There is also the timing of everything. They really needed a #1 WR to have any way to judge Dak's future. They still don't have a legit TE and their #2 outside WR is a rookie, but Cooper gives Dak a chance to succeed which he didn't have to start this season.

They would basically be throwing away the 2018 and possibly the 2019 seasons if they didn't acquire a #1 type WR. As you said, WR might not line up with their pick in 2019 and counting on a rookie WR has proven to be a bad plan for NFL teams in general.

They could shell out a mega-contract for a free agent WR in 2019 but they're stuck with whoever happens to be available. This season that would have been Watkins if they wanted to over-over pay in a bidding war to get him.

Summary: In terms of risk/reward the trade is reasonable risk vs high reward.

Sydla

Reaction score
He has made a difference for quarterback Dak Prescott, running back Ezekiel Elliott as well as the team’s efficiency on third down.

Before the trade, the Cowboys were 29 of 91 (31.9%) on third down to rank 29th in NFL. After the trade, they have been 20 of 40 (50%), ranking 8th in NFL.

“It seems like he kind of was the missing piece, just because when he got here this offense started rolling,” Elliott said of Cooper. “It’s great having him. He’s a phenomenal player. He’s going to have a great future here.”

Cooper’s presence has had a huge impact on Elliott, who is coming off back-to-back games of 151 and 122 yards rushing against the Eagles and Falcons. The coverage of Cooper on the outside has loosened things up for Elliott on the ground.

“Definitely. I’d say so. We’ve talked about that for a couple weeks now,” Prescott said. The way teams are playing us and the way they’re playing Amari [Cooper] and adjusting their coverages has given us favorable boxes. The offensive line is doing a great job of taking advantage of that. [Ezekiel Elliott] Zeke’s finding holes and making people miss.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article221944725.html#storylink=cpy

I think Cooper is making difference, now where we have to make it pay off is redzone, Dallas is settling for too many FG and this team has to kick it up a notch and put it in the endzone.

And yet our scoring per game has gone up only a point.

People are trying way too hard to justify the trade at this point digging up stats that have improved that show he's making a big impact but ignoring others that show he's had little impact (one being arguably the most important stat, scoring).

Also, if you go to some advanced stats, the impact seems minimal. From Week 9 to Week 10, for example, the Cowboys Offensive DVOA actually went down from 25 to 26 (they haven't updated through Week 11 yet). Their pass offense per Football Outsiders also dropped.

I think what it's telling us is that while on the surface adding a talent like Cooper at WR should/could help, there are more issues at play here to our offensive mediocrity than who was playing WR.