News: ST: Witten: 'Jon is poised. Jon is real. Jon is authentic.' But will he be good for Dak Prescott?

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Agree.

Even without adding any new players, they could be significantly better.

They are a young team and young players improve with experience.
Gallup
Connor Williams
La'el
All the TEs.
Dak.

They get Frederick back and have Cooper all off-season.

Moore can't be any worse than Linehan and might be much better.

It sounds like this would be a good draft for STs.

conner01

Reaction score
First questions first: Did Kitna have good footwork in the NFL?

If not, it's reason to worry if he'll make Dak's feet better.
You think Andy Reid or Bill bellicheck had good footwork
Coaching is not about what they did but what they can teach and who they can motivate

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First questions first: Did Kitna have good footwork in the NFL?

If not, it's reason to worry if he'll make Dak's feet better.
Kitna said he improved when Mike Martz taught him better footwork.

The fact that he had to learn better footwork is probably better than a player that just naturally had it. Players with natural ability often struggle to teach others "Just do it like I do" does not work well in coaching.

The great baseball player Ted Williams went into coaching when he retired and became a manager. His method of coaching was to take some swings himself and then tell the players "Do it like that". He would get very angry when players could not do what he did. Few players that ever lived could do what he did which made for a bit of a problem for him as a manager.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kitna said he improved when Mike Martz taught him better footwork.

The fact that he had to learn better footwork is probably better than a player that just naturally had it. Players with natural ability often struggle to teach others "Just do it like I do" does not work well in coaching.

The great baseball player Ted Williams went into coaching when he retired and became a manager. His method of coaching was to take some swings himself and then tell the players "Do it like that". He would get very angry when players could not do what he did. Few players that ever lived could do what he did which made for a bit of a problem for him as a manager.
I was thinking the same thing regarding Kitna having to learn good footwork. He'll probably incorporate the same teachings that Martz gave him, along with anything else he's learned along the way.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking the same thing regarding Kitna having to learn good footwork. He'll probably incorporate the same teachings that Martz gave him, along with anything else he's learned along the way.
Kitna's main point in the speech I saw was about making it a priority saying that Martz made him practice 3 weeks on footwork before he picked up a football.

Dak has worked with the QB mechanics experts from the Tom House group. I'm certain they"ve shown him proper footwork.

The key is for the coaches to continually make the fundamentals a focus like the Martz example.

The Rams out executed the Cowboys. That comes from coaches making players repeat the plays and techniques until they perfect them in practice.

Kitna looks like a drill sargent. Maybe that's a good sign.

Moore probably is a creative play caller but he'll need assistant coaches to be the hard-arses.

It would be fun to see Moore screaming Jimmy-style at 6-5 325 La'el Collins.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One more story...

I saw an interview years ago with a well know coach (I think it was Parcells) talking about going to a Vince Lombardi coaching clinic way back in the day.

He said they spent 8 hours learning the details of one play.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
'Jon is poised. Jon is real. Jon is authentic.' But will he be good for Dak Prescott?

image.jpg

Former Cowboys tight end Jason Witten believes new quarterback coach Jon Kitna will be good for Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott. He says he will have the same impact that Tony Sparano had on him early in his career.

Read Full Story
Who cares what a wash up thinks? Written, tell Jay Novacek I sent you to his aluminum roofs.

exciter

Reaction score
For me, it's even more reason as to why I would be in no rush to get a contract extension done now. Everything is lining up in his favor, he should have the best season of his career. And prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is, in fact, this team's franchise quarterback. If he does, I have no problem in paying him at the high end of quarterback salaries. He will have earned it.
Other than people on this board advocating paying him early, has there been anyone from management saying so because I sure haven't seen it. I would much rather pay more and be sure than pull a raider and 49 sinking millions into a bad contract!

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One more story...

I saw an interview years ago with a well know coach (I think it was Parcells) talking about going to a Vince Lombardi coaching clinic way back in the day.

He said they spent 8 hours learning the details of one play.
There is a video clip floating around showing Lombardi at the chalk board diagramming the blocking assignments for the famous Packer "sweep". Some reported caught up with Max McGee after practice and asked why the repetition on a play the team has run for years. His response provided some insight to Lombardi's quest for perfection, "because we haven't done it right yet".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Id like to see some examples around the league where QB coaches turned a QB skill sets or weaknesses around?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And what exactly do we expect Jon to do for Dak?

Will he begin making the throws he hadn’t been consistently? Will he begin reading defenses better? And will he begin sensing the pressure more?

I’m assuming these weaknesses can be tweaked by better coaching?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other than people on this board advocating paying him early, has there been anyone from management saying so because I sure haven't seen it. I would much rather pay more and be sure than pull a raider and 49 sinking millions into a bad contract!

Jerry Jones made some comments about it that made people nervous, yes.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry Jones made some comments about it that made people nervous, yes.

He sure did and while reading it, it caused me to squirm in my seat a bit.

Leave it to Jerry to say something that'll cost him dearly at contract time.

I could easily picture Dak's agent getting wind of that and smiling widely.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He sure did and while reading it, it caused me to squirm in my seat a bit.

Leave it to Jerry to say something that'll cost him dearly at contract time.

I could easily picture Dak's agent getting wind of that and smiling widely.

This team seems to give away leverage far easier than they should. Or not use it at all when they have it.

But, they were just words, and those words haven't translated into actions yet.