News: ST: Witten: 'Jon is poised. Jon is real. Jon is authentic.' But will he be good for Dak Prescott?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This team seems to give away leverage far easier than they should. Or not use it at all when they have it.

But, they were just words, and those words haven't translated into actions yet.

Jerry isn't the poor soul to negotiate contracts but I can picture Stephen working his tail off in overtime to get a reasonable contract.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd say any time a QB improved, there's a good chance coaching was responsible.

I think so, too. Oftentimes, proper coaching can put the impetus into a QB's mind to implement what has been suggested. Of course, the coach can't actually do what needs to be done by the QB to change his habits but with Dak having the work ethic that he does, it's not too difficult to see where the spoken word can be a valuable tool for the right person. I think Dak might well be greatly relieved to get to work with Jon and Kellen. Both are well liked and said to be very knowledgeable by those who know them.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think so, too. Oftentimes, proper coaching can put the impetus into a QB's mind to implement what has been suggested. Of course, the coach can't actually do what needs to be done by the QB to change his habits but with Dak having the work ethic that he does, it's not too difficult to see where the spoken word can be a valuable tool for the right person. I think Dak might well be greatly relieved to get to work with Jon and Kellen. They're both well liked by those who know them.
The spoken word and repetition. Commit the lessons to muscle memory and there's less chance that the QB will revert to old habits when the pressure is on.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Actually, he played for a pretty tough coach in Mullen at Miss St., so he's not running from being coached. Because of the nature of the sport, I think most players respond well to tough coaching and prefer it. The question I have is will he be able to do what he needs to do when playing and not revert to instinctive play?

If Kitna can just have success with Prescott with vision and knowing when to throw it away to avoid the negative plays. It has been puzzling to watch the surprise in his eyes when he realizes they're right on him. Can he not see them coming?
Hum well if you watched that Atlanta game the prior season, then the answer is no, when it's from your backside or blind side. Also, do this during a game, take a stop watch and the sec the ball is snapped start the clock...that right there will tell you why he had a lot of his negative plays I sacks. Not all mind you, just as many or even more were due to Dak holding the ball. Now was that due to confusion on his part, or the routes called taking to long to develop? It's never as easy as "just throw the ball away", a lot of times a D player just gets through the block, or it's totally wiffed/missed or the play is to long developing or............

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry isn't the poor soul to negotiate contracts but I can picture Stephen working his tail off in overtime to get a reasonable contract.

Yeah, Stephen is definitely "bad cop".

latest

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But most do give credit to Parcells.
But we were talking about QB coaches?
Is the discussion now HC’s?

And I always thought Romo basically was credited for his own personal instincts and improv over coaching?

This is all conflicting to me in properly evaluating the circumstance or situation. It appears it leaves it open for those to use to fit their opinion or narrative. Not directed at you but your thought spurs mine.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But we were talking about QB coaches?
Is the discussion now HC’s?

And I always thought Romo basically was credited for his own personal instincts and improv over coaching?

This is all conflicting to me in properly evaluating the circumstance or situation. It appears it leaves it open for those to use to fit their opinion or narrative. Not directed at you but your thought spurs mine.
What's the difference whether it was a HC or QBC? The fact remains that he improved with guidance. I'd also point out that he dropped out of Pebble Beach to attend Wade Wilson's funeral, so he obviously respected the man, which would lead one to believe Wade had at least some influence.

As for Romo being responsible for his own improvement, I think you know that was the ramblings of the "anti Garrett and any coach under him" crowd.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What's the difference whether it was a HC or QBC? The fact remains that he improved with guidance. I'd also point out that he dropped out of Pebble Beach to attend Wade Wilson's funeral, so he obviously respected the man, which would lead one to believe Wade had at least some influence.
I understand and agree to a point .

It’s amazing how questioning something is assumed disrespecting or belittling. Obviously Romo had a great relationship with Wade but he wasn’t generally credited with developing Romo, neither was Garrett which I had often suggested they had assisted in his development. More wanted to credit Payton and in this case Parcells. Most likely everyone contributed.

I think the bigger question is who contributed what specifically and to what extent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And to follow up with the original thought of Kitna, what exactly can we expect him or hope to develop with Dak that Wilson and Moore failed in?

Are we going to see greater technics, reading defenses, passing abilities and accuracies? And is this new development going to open up the playbook? Curious exactly what improvements we can look for?

Or is this more of just positive propaganda to promote hype and hope with Dak moving forward ?

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And to follow up with the original thought of Kitna, what exactly can we expect him or hope to develop with Dak that Wilson and Moore failed in?

Are we going to see greater technics, reading defenses, passing abilities and accuracies? And is this new development going to open up the playbook? Curious exactly what improvement we can look for?
I think Kitna will focus solely on mechanics, where (I have no proof, just my personal opinion) Moore was mostly about reading defense and the mental aspects.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Kitna will focus solely on mechanics, where (I have no proof, just my personal opinion) Moore was mostly about reading defense and the mental aspects.
Appreciate your input and honest assertion.

This will be our 3rd QB coach in consecutive seasons.

I’d like to think if we’re counting on a a former QB to make the strides we’re looking for with Dak we’d either bring in a more proven ex QB or at least a QB or Coach with experience in Daks limited skill sets.

If Wilson, Moore and Garrett hadn’t improved his technique and ability not sure why we think Kitna will?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Appreciate your input and honest assertion.

This will be our 3rd QB coach in consecutive seasons.

I’d like to think if we’re counting on a a former QB to make the strides we’re looking for with Dak we’d either bring in a more proven ex QB or at least a QB or Coach with experience in Daks limited skill sets.

If Wilson, Moore and Garrett hadn’t improved his technique and ability not sure why we think Kitna will?
Not all teachers can reach all students. There needs to be a chemistry sometimes. Maybe he'll have better chemistry with Kitna. There's also the theory that's been mentioned, and I agree, that having had to be taught by Martz, Kitna may may be in a better position to understand what Dak needs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Romo said that David Lee was the biggest influence for him and turned him into a Pro QB.

Lee was the Cowboys QB coach in 2005-2006.

I think Tony has also said that Tony improved Tony throughout his career, and Tony only really figured out how to play in 2013.

I'd love to see Tony put that "figured it out" to the test and try to train other QBs in a QB camp in the offseason.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Tony has also said that Tony improved Tony throughout his career, and Tony only really figured out how to play in 2013.

I'd love to see Tony put that "figured it out" to the test and try to train other QBs in a QB camp in the offseason.

Yes, I think Romo would be terrific training QBs.

I don't think Aikman would be good at it.