CFZ Stabs at the 2023 Runningback Rotation

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a reason those leagues fail. I believe I said that back when we hung on to Emmitt for too long, and people hated me for it. At least they realized it this time rather than dragging out the end of his career, like Emmitt.
What bothers me more is lack of preparation. For example, if Elliott had been willing to take a major paycut (let's say to $2 million), I would have seen no problem with holding on to him instead of signing Ronald Jones II and then trying to find a replacement in the draft. However, the team has problems handling the sentimentality of such a move. You allow Elliott to compete for a spot on the team but be willing to cut him if several backs look like they are better.

When we finally cut ties with Emmitt, we ended up starting his backup because of poor planning. We didn't have another option in place. Not sure we haven't done the same to some extent with Elliott. Pollard is clearly a good player and better player at this point than Elliott, but he's coming off a broken leg and needs someone to share the load anyway. Does a cheap vet, sixth-round pick and some UDFAs provide a sound option for that?

kskboys

Reaction score
Our RB group and situation suck. PERIOD.
Now that is taking into account we have no idea about Pollard right now, until he is 100%, if he will be.

Even if he is, the RB situation is not all that good. Another stupid blown situation by the FO in Jerry and Son, Inc.

If they are relying on Pollard as the bell cow, I hope they are right. But how many times have we seen them do this before at other position groups.
I love Polly, but too many touches will get him hurt again.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm excited/anxious to see how this plays out. There are a lot of "if's" with this group.

Pollard: Coming back from injury, although expected to be fully ready by training camp
Davis: Has shown he belongs in the NFL, but the sample size is too small to have a good feel for how he would do in a larger role
Jones: Was very good in TB a couple of years ago, but has had reduced roles since. Hard to know what to think
Vaughn: Great college production, but undersized. Maybe role player at best.
Luepke: Potential to serve as both solid RB depth and FB when needed, but FCS background makes him hard to judge

Zeke: I'll throw this in as a wild card since Zeke is still unsigned & Cowboys have said they aren't opposed to the idea of bringing him back under the right deal

At this point Pollard is the only one I'm even sure will be on the active roster. I assume at least one will be kept between Davis and Jones. Vaughn and/or Luepke could make the roster or end up on the practice squad. If Zeke were signed that would change everything.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RB1 when healthy- Pollard
RB2 Luepke FB and short yardage
RB3 Vaughn probably used similar to pollard his 1st couple years maybe 1-3 touches a game

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RB1 when healthy- Pollard
RB2 Luepke FB and short yardage
RB3 Vaughn probably used similar to pollard his 1st couple years maybe 1-3 touches a game
I don't see anyway they don't keep at least one between Davis and Jones. They will want someone that has shown at least some proficiency at the NFL level.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't see anyway they don't keep at least one between Davis and Jones. They will want someone that has shown at least some proficiency at the NFL level.
I almost kept Davis as the #2 but in order to keep all 4 either go short somewhere else, maybe TE or WR or Pollard is still not field ready. That's assuming these rooks can play at this level.

Sydla

Reaction score
Some of the biggest news this offseason for Dallas has been the release of Ezekiel Elliott, who is the latest big player to prove the NFL stands for what have you done for me lately.

With that said, it's exciting to think about the rotation coming up in 2023. I feel like one combination can be Luepke and Pollard. The player I really liked, as an NFL prospect, was Noah Gindorff, simply because he's basically a lineman who can go out for a pass, and might be good on those swing passes. I have to say, the title FB, made my evaluation on him (Luepke), well, non-existent: I just didn't think even McCarthy would add a full-back. But I do have visions of Hunter Luepke and Duece Vaughn in the same backfield, and then 2 TE sets with Pollard when he's in. There's a lot we can do there, especially if Luepke ends up being a good blocker, and at least 2 of our TEs take a step in their blocking game. It can happen.

I think we keep 4RBs. I think it's Pollard, Jones, Luepke, Vaughn. And, Vaughn can also be your 5th, 6th, emergency WR. Yes, he can do that, especially in a WCO. The path for Vaugh is to adapt to being a two-role player. He has it in him.

The other thing is that Schoonmaker is actually better than people think. Yes, he is older. But there's a reason they went up to get him in the 2nd round. They wanted to improve at TE, instead of staying the same, because they already have 2 guys who are on the level of those remaining, aside from guys like Josh Whyle, who I think was under-scouted as a pass-catcher.

So, Jones and Pollard, can both be WRs, and are marginally good at blocking. Meanwhile, the Pollard/Vaughn, and Pollard Luepke combinations could be interesting. For whatever reason, I don't think they like or trust Malik Davis. They pulled him in the San Fran game, and just never gave him another chance all while Zeke blew it, in large part becasue we became so predictable handing it off to Zeke. We shall see. As for Zeke, my kudos go out to him. We all know RBs have short careers, and not many can outrun Zeke. He's a top 5 Cowboys back in my book, and that's among a history of having nothing but the most elite backs in Dallas.
I am getting a 2018/2021 WR vibe from this current RB group. Meaning, that in 2018 and 2021 it was pretty clear we were short at WR yet the front office believed WR by committee would succeed. It didn't.

Are they doing it again at TB? IMO, they should have gone RB earlier in the draft and they should have signed a better vet than Jones.

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
I think between six RBs two will rise to the top. "Steel Sharpens Steel" -MM. Luepke and Vaughn are also plus pass catchers which helps. Schoon will be part of a big improvement in the run blocking.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
#ZekeHaters got their wish.

Now the RB rotation is jacked up and we got scrubs at RB2-RB4.

Only reason we are going with 4RBs is because we don’t have a true RB1/RB2 combo.

RJones is probably RB2.

Jerry will see if the short kid is a replacement for Pollard, who is UFA again.

No way Pollard gets Zeke like money.
Zeke haters were proven to be 100% right.

Whatever the RB room is, its better without Zeke getting most of the carries. The fact that your hero not only got cut, but cant even find a job should be evidence enough how wrong you have been about him.

All the scrubs you mention are better than the old and slow, delusional Zeke. Those are the facts. Deal with it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Our RB group and situation suck. PERIOD.
Now that is taking into account we have no idea about Pollard right now, until he is 100%, if he will be.

Even if he is, the RB situation is not all that good. Another stupid blown situation by the FO in Jerry and Son, Inc.

If they are relying on Pollard as the bell cow, I hope they are right. But how many times have we seen them do this before at other position groups.
Its much much better without the horrid Zeke. That much is clear. For you it will be come even clearer as you seem to be a very very slow learner. I look forward to you rooting for the Bucs next year. LOL

If your hero can even find a job.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am getting a 2018/2021 WR vibe from this current RB group. Meaning, that in 2018 and 2021 it was pretty clear we were short at WR yet the front office believed WR by committee would succeed. It didn't.

Are they doing it again at TB? IMO, they should have gone RB earlier in the draft and they should have signed a better vet than Jones.
What most need to figure out is that its more about the Oline than the RB's. A great Oline can open up holes for all kinds of backs.

But just the fact that Pollard will be getting more carries and Zeke wont, already makes this run game more dangerous and better.

Now if Pollard goes down what will happen? I have doubts as well. But what happened last year when Pollard went down? With Zeke our run game was non existent. So it cant be as bad as that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its much much better without the horrid Zeke. That much is clear. For you it will be come even clearer as you seem to be a very very slow learner. I look forward to you rooting for the Bucs next year. LOL

If you hero can even find a job.
My stalker strikes again with useless info.
RB group is worse regardless. At least Zeke can get TD's and 1st downs and protect a QB. The current QB can't do it on his own, nor can Pollard protect him as well.

I know the truth hurts, but I am just telling you what others have not. Your above the top Zeke hate and above the top Dak love does not phase me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My stalker strikes again with useless info.
RB group is worse regardless. At least Zeke can get TD's and 1st downs and protect a QB. The current QB can't do it on his own, nor can Pollard protect him as well.

I know the truth hurts, but I am just telling you what others have not. Your above the top Zeke hate and above the top Dak love does not phase me.
Oh yah, and you would know right? LOL

Since you have completely nailed the RB's here in Dallas over the past few years. :lmao::lmao::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love to hear you rant because its just another bumbled analysis that will blow up in your face.

Zeke can get TD's eh? ONly if you give it to him at the 1 yard line. BWAAAA!!!

I guess you missed Pollards 12 TD's last year when he made the pro bowl? And most of those werent from the one my little Zeke apologist.

Zeke was actually soo bad at short yardage that they started going to Dak on many 4th and shorts.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yah, and you would know right? LOL

Since you have completely nailed the RB's here in Dallas over the past few years. :lmao::lmao::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love to hear you rant because its just another bumbled analysis that will blow up in your face.

Zeke can get TD's eh? ONly if you give it to him at the 1 yard line. BWAAAA!!!

I guess you missed Pollards 12 TD's last year when he made the pro bowl? And most of those werent from the one my little Zeke apologist.

Zeke was actually soo bad at short yardage that they started going to Dak on many 4th and shorts.
Didn’t read it. Not wasting my time.