Stafford decides not to max out new deal. Still big $$

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
It is about hate. Playoff results fall on a team, not just one player. Let's be real, you guys hate Dak. Period.

First off all I don't hate Dak. Second of all, while there are plenty of haters, pretending that anyone who dares say anything bad about Dak is a hater is just annoying as those who refuse to acknowledge anything good about Dak.

The simple fact is, no matter how you wanna twist it, Stafford Beat the Cardinals (Who Dak lost to), beat The bucs (who Dak lost to), beat the 49er's (who Dak lost to) and won a SB. Playoff results may fall on a "team" but the 40 million dollar QB leads the team, and the Leaders are the ones who get the blame. No one is gonna go complain to Cedric Wilson that he didn't do enough, they are gonna go to Dak.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
First off all I don't hate Dak. Second of all, while there are plenty of haters, pretending that anyone who dares say anything bad about Dak is a hater is just annoying as those who refuse to acknowledge anything good about Dak.

The simple fact is, no matter how you wanna twist it, Stafford Beat the Cardinals (Who Dak lost to), beat The bucs (who Dak lost to), beat the 49er's (who Dak lost to) and won a SB. Playoff results may fall on a "team" but the 40 million dollar QB leads the team, and the Leaders are the ones who get the blame. No one is gonna go complain to Cedric Wilson that he didn't do enough, they are gonna go to Dak.
Stafford didn't win those games by himself. His team did. Dak didn't lose those games by himself. His team did.

Flamma

Reaction score

I'm not one that wanted to give Dak that contract. I think the Jones boys screwed that up after Dak's 3rd season. That said, even though everything you said is true, Matt Stafford wouldn't have done any better on the Cowboys. You can say the Rams wouldn't win it all with Dak, that's fine. I don't think so either. But Stafford wouldn't have done squat on the Cowboys. We had OL problems and Matt is as immobile as a tree. Matt is a product of his team. Trying to compare the two when they play with totally different players isn't proving anything.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Stafford didn't win those games by himself. His team did. Dak didn't lose those games by himself. His team did.

Doesn't change what i said. There is a reason QB's are paid the most out of any other position on the team, and its not because they are just as important as the other 10 guys on the offense.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I'm not one that wanted to give Dak that contract. I think the Jones boys screwed that up after Dak's 3rd season. That said, even though everything you said is true, Matt Stafford wouldn't have done any better on the Cowboys. You can say the Rams wouldn't win it all with Dak, that's fine. I don't think so either. But Stafford wouldn't have done squat on the Cowboys. We had OL problems and Matt is as immobile as a tree. Matt is a product of his team. Trying to compare the two when they play with totally different players isn't proving anything.

Maybe, but at the end of the day. Stafford works for the Rams and how they are built, Stafford won a SB and then got his contract, which is why people don't have a problem with it. Dak didnt make the playoffs in 2019, and then broke his ankle in 2020, and then was handed a huge contract for a single playoff win in 5 years. People didn't like the contract not because the way it was structured, but because they felt he hasn't had the success that a QB paid that much money should have. you can argue its a team sport, and make all the excuses you want to. But at the end of the day, with his contract he should do more then lose a wildcard playoff game at home while leading the offense to score 17 points.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Doesn't change what i said. There is a reason QB's are paid the most out of any other position on the team, and its not because they are just as important as the other 10 guys on the offense.
Ok, then don't complain for Dak's $40 million/year contract.

Flamma

Reaction score
Maybe, but at the end of the day. Stafford works for the Rams and how they are built, Stafford won a SB and then got his contract, which is why people don't have a problem with it. Dak didnt make the playoffs in 2019, and then broke his ankle in 2020, and then was handed a huge contract for a single playoff win in 5 years. People didn't like the contract not because the way it was structured, but because they felt he hasn't had the success that a QB paid that much money should have. you can argue its a team sport, and make all the excuses you want to. But at the end of the day, with his contract he should do more then lose a wildcard playoff game at home while leading the offense to score 17 points.

You do realize Stafford got big contracts before he won a super bowl, right? He got a huge extension in Detroit, and he didn't win anything. Carr just got a big contract. Remind me of his success? Herbert will get a huge contract after this year regardless of how well the Chargers play. Prior success is not what get QBs extensions. How good they are and what the team thinks he's capable of is what gets them extensions. That's why Dak got an extension. Although I didn't agree with it.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
You do realize Stafford got big contracts before he won a super bowl, right? He got a huge extension in Detroit, and he didn't win anything. Carr just got a big contract. Remind me of his success? Herbert will get a huge contract after this year regardless of how well the Chargers play. Prior success is not what get QBs extensions. How good they are and what the team thinks he's capable of is what gets them extensions. That's why Dak got an extension. Although I didn't agree with it.

You are correct, they did and im not saying that Dak didn't deserve his contract or the others deserved theirs. What am i saying, is that people are unhappy with Dak's contract because he has had little to no success. There were fans in Detroit who didn't like Stafford getting his contract when he hadn't done anything. Same thing with Carr. I'm not saying that Dak shouldn't have gotten his contract, but merely stating the simple fact:

People are mad over Dak's contract because he didn't have playoff success before the contract, and he still hasn't had playoff success after it. IF Dak turns around this year and wins multiple playoff games and even a superbowl, the fans will be fine with the contract.

People aren't mad over Stafford's new contract because he just won a SB. If Stafford flops and turns into Joe Flacco 2.0 those same fans will turn against that contract.

At the end of the day success is what will change people's mind. If you win playoff games, and win SB's no one will care how much you get paid. Blindly labeling people haters just because they don't like something, is just as weak as blindly labeling people homers just because they like something.

I, unlike what a certain person believes, actually likes Dak. I think he can be elite QB. But his biggest flaw his is inability to force defense's to bend to his will. If he can take the next step the cowboys can easily dominate the NFC east, and contend for multiple SB's. But at the same time, he's running out of time and excuses for losing.

kumizi

Reaction score
Same exact contract that Dak got. Same thing. Yet, Dak gets blasted while Matt gets applauded.

The personal hatred is clear as day for some.

What does Matt Stafford’s contract have to do with Dak’s?

Stafford is clearly in another tier.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What does Matt Stafford’s contract have to do with Dak’s?

Stafford is clearly in another tier.
Yeah, Matt Stafford is clearly in another tier that he didn't accomplish anything prior to coming to L.A. and being surrounded by the best talent last season.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, Matt Stafford is clearly in another tier that he didn't accomplish anything prior to coming to L.A. and being surrounded by the best talent last season.

If I had a nickel for every time someone called Matt Stafford a bum prior to going to LA. I could retire.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every time someone called Matt Stafford a bum prior to going to LA. I could retire.
I hear you. Heard it for years while Matthew Stafford played for the Lions. As talented as Stafford has been, he wasn't enough to carry the Lions to much success.

Different story once he left to the Rams (and all of the talent on that team) last year. Totally different. This proves you can have the most talented QB in the league, but you're not going to win much if you don't have the team and coaching staff along with it.

Flamma

Reaction score
I hear you. Heard it for years while Matthew Stafford played for the Lions. As talented as Stafford has been, he wasn't enough to carry the Lions to much success.

Different story once he left to the Rams (and all of the talent on that team) last year. Totally different. This proves you can have the most talented QB in the league, but you're not going to win much if you don't have the team and coaching staff along with it.

Right. Look at Watson in that mess at Houston. What were they, 4-12? And he had a great year statistically. And Matt Stafford now isn't the player he used to be.

A team has to have the pieces in place for a good QB to succeed.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Right. Look at Watson in that mess at Houston. What were they, 4-12? And he had a great year statistically. And Matt Stafford now isn't the player he used to be.

A team has to have the pieces in place for a good QB to succeed.
Amen. Very evident.

It's hard with today's salary cap to have an all worldly team in place. I say if you maintain a very good Oline AND Dline, your team's chance for success is very high. In my opinion, it all starts in the trenches.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man, those are some dumb people. They should prolly just give up on football, they don't get it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There were a lot
:laugh:

The classic test of not knowing football right there.
Probably 95% of NFL players and coaches knew Stafford was great.

However, those wondering if he could lead a team all the way? Well, that's always a legit and theoretical question until it actually happens.

But for sheer talent and moxy?
That was not disbutable

kskboys

Reaction score
There were a lot
:laugh:

The classic test of not knowing football right there.
Probably 95% of NFL players and coaches knew Stafford was great.

However, those wondering if he could lead a team all the way? Well, that's always a legit and theoretical question until it actually happens.

But for sheer talent and moxy?
That was not disbutable
3-4 years ago, there was discussion among my football crowd if Stafford was the 3th best QB in the NFL behind Brady/Rodgers. Mahomes busted out in 18, and then we were thinking he was 4th.

However, one of the primary traits of millennials is that they are mentally lazy. Since they don't want to use their thought processes to evaluate and assess, they simply assign greatness to super bowl winners. Very lazy.

Flamma

Reaction score
3-4 years ago, there was discussion among my football crowd if Stafford was the 3th best QB in the NFL behind Brady/Rodgers. Mahomes busted out in 18, and then we were thinking he was 4th.

However, one of the primary traits of millennials is that they are mentally lazy. Since they don't want to use their thought processes to evaluate and assess, they simply assign greatness to super bowl winners. Very lazy.

It's not just Millennials. Although they're probably worse. Back in the 80s, long before any social media, there was chatter about Elway not being able to win the big one. Which is right up there with the best of clueless comments. Those Denver teams never had a chance.

The SB with Denver VS Washington. The Broncos were 3 point favorites. I entered some beer raffle to predict the score and get free tickets to the next SB. I predicted Washington 42-10. I knew the Broncos had no chance, I just predicted a blowout. I thought I was going to the SB. Little did I know more people predicted that score and I wasn't picked as the winner. Or they just said that and lied to everyone. Remember, no social media back in 1987. But you can see how dumb gamblers were at the time. Thinking just because Elway was quarterback, they were going to beat the Redsk!ns.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's not just Millennials. Although they're probably worse. Back in the 80s, long before any social media, there was chatter about Elway not being able to win the big one. Which is right up there with the best of clueless comments. Those Denver teams never had a chance.

The SB with Denver VS Washington. The Broncos were 3 point favorites. I entered some beer raffle to predict the score and get free tickets to the next SB. I predicted Washington 42-10. I knew the Broncos had no chance, I just predicted a blowout. I thought I was going to the SB. Little did I know more people predicted that score and I wasn't picked as the winner. Or they just said that and lied to everyone. Remember, no social media back in 1987. But you can see how dumb gamblers were at the time. Thinking just because Elway was quarterback, they were going to beat the Redsk!ns.
Yup.

And you know the line is based strictly on how many are betting on each team. People were simply betting on Elway, period. DEN wasn't anywhere near the team WASH was.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yup.

And you know the line is based strictly on how many are betting on each team. People were simply betting on Elway, period. DEN wasn't anywhere near the team WASH was.

Let me tell you a cool story. I was 20 years old for that SB. I was at a SB party at one of my friends house. I gave him 20 points and bet him 20 bucks. Obviously I won it. But his mother was there too. I will always remember this. His mother told me that no way was that blank quarterback beating John Elway. I swear to you on my mothers grave this is true. This is what she said to me. I was 20 and ignorant, so I didn't know how to respond. Who would? I'll always remember it because that game and the SB against the 49ers were two games I won a boatload of money on. I no longer gamble like that.