Stafford vs Romo

RonWashington

Reaction score
Lion fans must be thinking had this guy a decade and not one coaching staff personnel director could do anything with him one yr in LA it’s SB win .
And the Bengals at 0-3 are inching towards Vikings Bills 0-4 SB territory .

Of course Lion fans would settle for one trip at all. Off the top of my head can’t think of too many franchises that haven’t been other then what Cleveland and Detroit.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
With no run game at all and down two of your top 3 receivers against a D playing well, not many QBs could've led their team on a 79 yard, 15 play, late 4th quarter, game-winning drive anytime…..let alone in a Super Bowl

That was an epic drive led by Matt Stafford

Why I love your posts. Realistic without agenda

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
With no run game at all and down two of your top 3 receivers against a D playing well, not many QBs could've led their team on a 79 yard, 15 play, late 4th quarter, game-winning drive anytime…..let alone in a Super Bowl

That was an epic drive led by Matt Stafford

Lions fans and others who've followed him have watched him do this many times. Its one of the reasons he was, and still is, very popular in Detroit.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/09/29/matthew-stafford-detroit-lions-29-comebacks/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We did a disservice to Romo in 2016 when we had the best oline and RB drafted to support Romo.
Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett gambled they would make history. No rookie quarterback-led team had ever contended for or won a Super Bowl.

That specific Super Bowl appearance or win did not happen. It still has not happened in the NFL. It will eventually happen. Heck. There were 54 Super Bowls that the home team never hosted. There have been two straight Super Bowls now that it did. All things materialize in time.

On the other hand, Super Bowl opportunities can be fleeting most of the time. Odds may not be good. They may be slim-to-none. Only thing anyone should do is play all the cards you are dealt. Or don't. It is always a matter of choice.

Next season is a new one. And the team will have an established veteran quarterback. That is a good thing for... beating the odds.

Go Cowboys.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both of them similar qbs posting big numbers in regular season and choking in post season or win to get into playoff games.

Put a team around them like Rams have now, we are seeing Stafford punch his ticket to half of fame.

We did a disservice to Romo in 2016 when we had the best oline and RB drafted to support Romo.

I agree. Romo should have got his job back when he got healthy. That said Stafford has a generational kinda arm and always had a higher ceiling than Romo. 2016 wasn't Romo's only missed opportunity to put the team on his back in the postseason.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Of course. Most QB's if not all need a great overall team to win a SB. Except Brady. That guy just wins.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No rookie quarterback-led team had ever contended for or won a Super Bowl.

Though Roesliberger got to the AFC championship game, wouldn't be a huge stretch to think Dak could have gone a game or two farther.

No wild card team ever got to the SB until Dallas did it.
No team had lost the first two games of the season and won the SB until Dallas did it.
No team had ever had the NFL regular season rushing champion and won the SB until Dallas did it.

Records are set and broken all the time...

DFWJC

Reaction score

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I agree. Romo should have got his job back when he got healthy. That said Stafford has a generational kinda arm and always had a higher ceiling than Romo. 2016 wasn't Romo's only missed opportunity to put the team on his back in the postseason.
Of course. Stafford was a #1 pick. Just like Aikman. Just like Burrow.

Two have SBs now and the latter is likely to have one in the future.

Even with Stafford's arm, the Rams had to "sell the farm" to win a SB this year.

Romo exceeded all expectations for his draft status and he was still robbed of an opportunity in 2016 for the work he put in for an organization and coach that claimed to be about meritocracy after they just lucked into him. I think that is what most Romo supporters have issue with. IMO, 2016 was one of the most idiotic decisions in history of the JJ's management of the franchise (which was based on pure fantasy with a rookie QB and the defense ranking) and they've made a lot of dumb decisions. Compared to Romo, Dak was given a silver platter.

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Of course. Stafford was a #1 pick. Just like Aikman. Just like Burrow.

Two have SBs now and the latter is likely to have one in the future.

Even with Stafford's arm, the Rams had to "sell the farm" to win a SB this year.

Romo exceeded all expectations for his draft status and he was still robbed of an opportunity in 2016 for the work he put in for an organization and coach that claimed to be about meritocracy. I think that is what most Romo supporters have issue with. IMO, 2016 was one of the most idiotic decisions in history of the JJ's management of the franchise (which was based on pure fantasy with a rookie QB and the defense standing) after just lucking into Romo, and they've made a lot of dumb decisions. Compared to Romo, Dak was given a silver platter.

Cap era NFL is a fickle beast...Odds are actually greater that Burrow never makes it back, good news is Cinci going actually shows that odds eventually come around and we will hopefully be the blind squirrel eventually even with the owner plotting to ruin it.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Stafford has always had talent and is a good QB. But he’s lucky his defense balled out in that second half and shut down Cincy after he threw those 2 INT’s. He looked pedestrian for the most part that half. His Defense and the Refs sealed his legacy.

shabazz

Reaction score
Stafford is lucky his defense balled out after throwing those 2 INT’s. He looked pedestrian that second half. His Defense and the Refs sealed his legacy.

That game really showed his level of talent. Stafford can make some great throws and can read defenses well but he has lapses that could have cost the game. If Rodgers or Brady was in place of Stafford, I believe the game wouldn’t have been that close.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That game really showed his level of talent. Stafford can make some great throws and can read defenses well but he has lapses that could have cost the game. If Rodgers or Brady was in place of Stafford, I believe the game wouldn’t have been that close.
I don't think the 3rd and14 bomb into the endzone cost his team anything.
It goes down as pick on the stat sheet but it was basically a punt.

The other pick was on the rookie WR subbing for injured OBJ...the coach and everyone else has said the same.
He did throw for 3 TDs

He played slightly better than Mahomes did vs the Bengals. Hard to do it without any run game at all.
But that 15 play, end-of-game, Super Bowl-winning drive was somewhat historical.

shabazz

Reaction score
I don't think the 3rd and18 60yard bomb into the endzone cost his team anything.
It goes down as pick on the stat sheet but it was basically a punt.

The other pick was on the rookie WR.

He played slightly better than Mahomes did vs the Bengals. Hard to do it without any run game at all.
But that 15 play, end-of-game, Super Bowl-winning drive was somewhat historical.

……the refs made it historically questionable. I didn’t have a dog in this fight so it didn’t matter to me. Just hard to enjoy the game when the flags start flying all at once

Nexx

Reaction score
Romo should have had his moment much like Dirk did to wash away all the narratives. Fortunately, Dirk didn't have Jerry to overcome. Anyone who thinks Romo didnt have the skill set to be a Super Bowl winning QB is dead wrong imho.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Matt Stafford and Eli Manning punching their tickets to HOF before Romo hurts my heart. :(