Stafford vs Romo

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stafford hadn’t won a single playoff game in his 12 seasons with Detroit, but in his first year with the Rams, he went 4-0. There isn't a person on the planet that can tell me he's elite. What it does tell me, the Rams coaching staff is elite.

Romo has had an interesting 13 year career as a quarterback. He is the only starting QB to have more losses than wins in the playoffs, & he’s also won two road playoff games which no other starting QB has accomplished before. Like it or not, the 4x pro bowler will be in the hall.
To be fair...and just my opinion....but I think Stafford would've won a ton of playoff games if he was the Dallas QB from 2014 thru 2021

Then again, a healthy Romo would've too.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
come on granny, stafford on a bad day is still better than the scared gimp dak. sheesh.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a no-win decision in reality. If you benched Dak after the way he stepped in and grabbed the moment— and the team was behind him— we likely have a rusty Romo and a loss of momentum and likely a loss in the playoffs

Stay with Dak and you get what we got lol… easy to second guess the decision, but I am fine with the way they played it.

I liked Romo as a player— and would have loved to see him play with Zeke— but the guy’s body was just breaking down at that point
"Rusty"...what? You didnt see romos final drive?
Amazing what coming back healthy (finally!) can do.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should've been All-Pro in 2014....imo.
All_Pro is so tough though as only 2 in the entire league get it. Rodgers was great too that year, but not sure who else should've been ahead of him.

He made second team all-pro in 2014. He just doesn't have a HOF resume. At no time was Romo considered among the best of his generation. He never lead the league in anything but INTs one year. His NFL trophy case is empty. He had HOF talent but the numbers and accolades just aren't there to justify a HOF selection.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He made second team all-pro in 2014. He just doesn't have a HOF resume. At no time was Romo considered among the best of his generation. He never lead the league in anything but INTs one year. His NFL trophy case is empty. He had HOF talent but the numbers and accolades just aren't there to justify a HOF selection.
He did lead the league in passer rating in both regular and post-season one year....and no QB had ever done that.
But true that he was never considered the best of his generation or even close to it.

Fwiw, I have never said Romo deserves HOF consideration
Have always said he needed 3-4 more great years to even be in the conversation, especially without a SB appearance.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did lead the league in passer rating in both regular and post-season one year....and no QB had ever done that.
But true that he was never considered the best of his generation or even close to it.

Fwiw, I have never said Romo deserves HOF consideration
Have always said he needed 3-4 more great years to even be in the conversation, especially without a SB appearance.

His passer rating is impressive. I just don't think he can get in based mostly on that stat. We agree overall. I really thought 2016 was his year and we were loaded. He could have pulled a Mat Stafford and changed the narrative of this career.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Semi no Look filthy throw with game on line is a difference

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Time and Place....Both had bad time and place for most of their career, big diference is one got to change his place one time and the other did not

Detroit = no thank you
Dallas during the "Jerry's way" years = no thank you
Rams with McVay and a all in group of free agents = SB

Can't knock Stafford for this as he took advantage of his change...we will never know what Romo could've done with a GM fighting for his job.

Loso86

Reaction score
Both of them similar qbs posting big numbers in regular season and choking in post season or win to get into playoff games.

Put a team around them like Rams have now, we are seeing Stafford punch his ticket to half of fame.

We did a disservice to Romo in 2016 when we had the best oline and RB drafted to support Romo.
Romo would be first ballad if he played for the Packers or Pats or so

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Romo would be first ballad if he played for the Packers or Pats or so

There are some QB's for sure who would've done good things in that Patriots machine...not knocking TB12 either as he obviosly was the main part and for sure got the most out of it..

Creeper

Reaction score
I wonder what people would be saying about Stafford if the Rams didn't get those 3 penalties late in the game and wound up losing to the Bengals. The Rams didn't win because of Stafford. In fact, there is a case to be made the Rams won despite Stafford. The Rams won because their defense pretty much stifled the Bengals offense most of the game and particularly on that last drive when the Bengals only needed a FG to tie.

Given all the star caliber players the Rams accumulated for this season they should have blown out the Bengals.