Stafford vs Romo

DFWJC

Reaction score
Matt Stafford and Eli Manning punching their tickets to HOF before Romo hurts my heart. :(
I hear you

fwiw
Stafford light years better than Eli Manning.
Just so much better in every way.

• Better Passer Rating in Regular season
  • Better Passer Rating in Postseason
  • Better TD to Int ratio Regular Season
  • Better TD to Int ratio Postseason
  • Higher Completion % Regular Season
  • HIgher Completion % Postseason
  • etc

In every way, he has been better....just stuck in Detroit 12 years

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Though Roesliberger got to the AFC championship game, wouldn't be a huge stretch to think Dak could have gone a game or two farther.
Anything is always possible.
No wild card team ever got to the SB until Dallas did it.
No team had lost the first two games of the season and won the SB until Dallas did it.
No team had ever had the NFL regular season rushing champion and won the SB until Dallas did it.
All true. Also true for each is Troy Aikman being the veteran quarterback.
Records are set and broken all the time...
True. The record of rookie quarterback-led teams reaching and/or winning the Super Bowl remains unbroken after 56 Super Bowls, which includes the 2016 season ending Super Bowl LI.

More NFL rookie quarterback-led team trivia:

Five additional rookie quarterbacks besides Ben Roethlisberger led their teams to conference championship appearances. Coincidentally, Joe Flacco (2008/Baltimore Ravens), Shaun King (1999/Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and Pat Haden (1976/Los Angeles Rams) immediately elevated up the depth chart due to injury. Flacco started his rookie season out the gate after injuries to starter Kyle Boller and backup Troy Smith. King was a midseason replacement for Trent Dilfer after he broke his right collarbone. Haden got his nod after starter James Harris and backup Ron Jaworski were both hurt by the second game of the season.

Dieter Brock was technically an NFL rookie but had played ten prior seasons in the CFL. Mark Sanchez was named the starter by Rex Ryan after beating out Kellen Clemens in training camp. Their teams' conference championship losses:

• Ravens lost to the Steelers, 23-14
  • Buccaneers lost to the Rams, 11-6
  • (Haden led) Rams lost to the Vikings, 24-13
  • (Brock led) Rams lost to the Bears, 24-0
  • Jets lost to the Colts, 30-17

DandyDon52

Reaction score
“both qb's done something dak will never do”

Hmm, simpleton? Hey genius, you posted this above before anything I posted. And never answered my question. You were implying Romo did something. So what exactly did he do? Rack your brain on that.
Just in case you’re not smart enough to figure it out, I can answer it for you, but I’ll let you try to pull something out of your butt, first.
Romo made the cowboys fun to watch and the games interesting.
Before him cowboys were a pain to watch, even in the 10-6 QC at qb.
Romo instantly made cowboys exciting and fun to watch, for me and most other fans and media people.

He was great for Jerrys Circus too, made it more famous than ever. At one point I would bet everyone who watched football at all and even some
who didnt knew who tony romo was.

Tony was fun to watch, win or lose, and since he left, I have got less interested in cowboys each year.
Not everything is about winning a SB. that requires a good team, and coaches, not just a good qb.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Was grossly obvious.. But it’s not swayed by the refs.. They will look and say yeah it was a flag. But the whole game they never call anything.. AT ALL…
yep, that D word that doesn't stand for discrepancy, discretion.
Would be entertaining for current officials to define such terms, probably would have to ask for definition first.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Both of them similar qbs posting big numbers in regular season and choking in post season or win to get into playoff games.

Put a team around them like Rams have now, we are seeing Stafford punch his ticket to half of fame.

We did a disservice to Romo in 2016 when we had the best oline and RB drafted to support Romo.

Romo did a disservice to himself by running in a preseason game after an injury.
He knew his back was already on borrowed time why risk it in a meaningless game.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Zeke was specifically drafted to complement Romo. Unfortunately we never got to see it. Romo would've flourished with Zeke and vise versa.Cowboys don't go 13- 3 without Zeke and made Dak look good enough to fool half this forum to think he was elite.

There is no guarantee that Romo wouldn't have done what he wanted to do and opted out of the running plays so he could pass the ball and play the way he wanted to play

Garrett let him get away with this. Dak did what he was told followed the game plan and let Zeke carry much of the load.

Romo's love for passing the ball outweighed his desire to win and share the ball with a running back.

Hardline

Reaction score
There is no guarantee that Romo wouldn't have done what he wanted to do and opted out of the running plays so he could pass the ball and play the way he wanted to play

Garrett let him get away with this. Dak did what he was told followed the game plan and let Zeke carry much of the load.

Romo's love for passing the ball outweighed his desire to win and share the ball with a running back.
DeMarco Murray and Darren McFadden disagree

Blackrain

Reaction score
Romo made the cowboys fun to watch and the games interesting.
Before him cowboys were a pain to watch, even in the 10-6 QC at qb.
Romo instantly made cowboys exciting and fun to watch, for me and most other fans and media people.

He was great for Jerrys Circus too, made it more famous than ever. At one point I would bet everyone who watched football at all and even some
who didnt knew who tony romo was.

Tony was fun to watch, win or lose, and since he left, I have got less interested in cowboys each year.
Not everything is about winning a SB. that requires a good team, and coaches, not just a good qb.

All true Tony was such a breath of fresh air after having to watch statue Drew Bledsoe get abused weekly.
He was a lot of fun to watch to begin with and gave us much hope.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Tony Romo was a great passer and that's what he loved to do more than anything else.

He was also a gambler that left us heartbroken more than a time or two

I believe if he had his priorities straight in his prime, strong coaching instead of his friend Garrett , a true playmaker on defense and didn't have to overcome Jerry.
A super bowl was possible for him but that's a lot of ifs.

Stafford he just got lucky to be thrown into the perfect storm of the Rams team, he was given enough downs by the refs inside the five yard line to get it touched down after he had thrown a couple interceptions and tried to give the game away.

Make no mistake Aaron Donald won that super bowl on his pure will and refusal to be denied Stafford just rode along on his coattails

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo was a great passer and that's what he loved to do more than anything else.

He was also a gambler that left us heartbroken more than a time or two

I believe if he had his priorities straight in his prime, strong coaching instead of his friend Garrett , a true playmaker on defense and didn't have to overcome Jerry.
A super bowl was possible for him but that's a lot of ifs.

Stafford he just got lucky to be thrown into the perfect storm of the Rams team, he was given enough downs by the refs inside the five yard line to get it touched down after he had thrown a couple interceptions and tried to give the game away.

Make no mistake Aaron Donald won that super bowl on his pure will and refusal to be denied Stafford just rode along on his coattails

I liked Romo. He had everything you want in a QB, but Jerry rarely put a team around him capable of helping him. Romo gambled a lot b/c the entire offense was on his back. Garret ran one of the most stale and predictable offenses in the NFL. Its a testament to Romo's talent that he was able to take garrets junk offense and make the team competitive.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well does a player have to win a SB to get in?? I dont think so, many great players never won a SB.

Romo did win the SB of life though, and I think he is happy with that.

Romo was never considered a great player like marino or fouts. He only played in 4 pro bowls and was never an AP all-pro and had a 2-4 career playoff record. You can't make a strong case based solely on his passer rating. I don't even think he's going into the ROH.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo was never considered a great player like marino or fouts. He only played in 4 pro bowls and was never an AP all-pro and had a 2-4 career playoff record. You can't make a strong case based solely on his passer rating. I don't even think he's going into the ROH.
He should've been All-Pro in 2014....imo.
All_Pro is so tough though as only 2 in the entire league get it. Rodgers was great too that year, but not sure who else should've been ahead of him.

DFWJC

Reaction score

:facepalm:

By 2014, Romo had completely taken over the offense. He just did not trust Garrett and crew by then.

The result was Murray having a monster, career year and Romo using that run game to lead the league in passer rating in both eh regular season and playoffs....first QB in NFL history to pull that off.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Stafford hadn’t won a single playoff game in his 12 seasons with Detroit, but in his first year with the Rams, he went 4-0. There isn't a person on the planet that can tell me he's elite. What it does tell me, the Rams coaching staff is elite.

Romo has had an interesting 13 year career as a quarterback. He is the only starting QB to have more losses than wins in the playoffs, & he’s also won two road playoff games which no other starting QB has accomplished before. Like it or not, the 4x pro bowler will be in the hall.

Blackrain

Reaction score
well does a player have to win a SB to get in?? I dont think so, many great players never won a SB.

Romo did win the SB of life though, and I think he is happy with that.

That is very true Tony managed to get out of the game with his health as I think anyone who was a true cowboy fan feared in the end that something tragic could happen with his back if he continued.

I also believe this entered into Jerry's decision to let Dak play even though Tony was cleared as he believed in his heart that Tony's future was in jeopardy.

Tony was one of Jerry's ultimate pet projects and no one wanted to see him win a super bowl more than Jerry but I think his better judgment prevailed and he couldn't live with seeing him paralyzed either.

That's said Tony seems completely happy with his accomplishments and what he's doing now as an analyst. I tune into all his games and love to hear him broadcast as I feel he is the absolute best broadcaster out there.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Stafford hadn’t won a single playoff game in his 12 seasons with Detroit, but in his first year with the Rams, he went 4-0. There isn't a person on the planet that can tell me he's elite. What it does tell me, the Rams coaching staff is elite.

Romo has had an interesting 13 year career as a quarterback. He is the only starting QB to have more losses than wins in the playoffs, & he’s also won two road playoff games which no other starting QB has accomplished before. Like it or not, the 4x pro bowler will be in the hall.

Romo won't sniff the hall of fame. Ever. It's called the hall of fame for a reason. It's not the hall of pretty good. Or the hall of what ifs.