Video: Star Crossed: The Carter-Romo Story

Plankton

Reaction score
This shows what an epic disaster this organization was before Parcells walked in the door.

Lacewell: We thought that Troy was going to play forever.

You mean the guy who had to take shots in his back starting in 1997 just to get on the field? I swear, the idiocy in the organization in that era is positively mind boggling. Thank god that things have changed.

Aven8

Reaction score
This shows what an epic disaster this organization was before Parcells walked in the door.

Lacewell: We thought that Troy was going to play forever.

You mean the guy who had to take shots in his back starting in 1997 just to get on the field? I swear, the idiocy in the organization in that era is positively mind boggling. Thank god that things have changed.

Have they when it comes to QB??? Looks like we think Romo will play forever currently!

Aven8

Reaction score
Because as their paths crossed, their fates also crossed.

Yep. And now watching the 3 videos Romo was not going to get cut even if Qcar had not failed another drug test. Woody and Parcells both knew that he had something. Remember the tale of had Qcar not failed that test during camp Romo was probably the one getting cut is what I'm referencing.

Eddie

Reaction score
I remember watching ESPN News back in the day and Dennis Green was on and he said that if the Cowboys passed on Quincy Carter they were gonna take him with their next pick. He said he wanted someone that could back up Dante Culpepper at the time and they really liked Carter.

Jerry panicked. He got wind that Al Davis wanted QC.

Plankton

Reaction score
Have they when it comes to QB??? Looks like we think Romo will play forever currently!

I don't think that they have passed up anyone in recent years that would come back to haunt them. Besides, that guy would never play, anyway.

Right now, with the salary commitment, they will ride Romo till he can't go anymore. Then, they will look for the replacement. Might not be the most optimal, but that will be the outcome.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Had the team not traded away its first round pick in the Joey Galloway deal, would it have meant trading up for Michael Vick in 2001?

Or stay put at #9 overall and select Drew Brees, who was the top pick in round two (32nd overall)?

Would they have tried trading down, if possible, to select Brees?

I believe that Michael Vick was all the rage back then and it got into Jerry's psyche in wanting a QB just like Vick. Thus came about the selection of Carter.

Just my opinion but I feel that was the case then. Jerry like to chase after the next big thing and the selection of Carter seems to have been the case.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't think that they have passed up anyone in recent years that would come back to haunt them. Besides, that guy would never play, anyway.

Right now, with the salary commitment, they will ride Romo till he can't go anymore. Then, they will look for the replacement. Might not be the most optimal, but that will be the outcome.

Which isn't anything they did differently when Aikman started to hang them up.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I agree that Carter's downfall was Carter. It seems to come across from Carter himself that he was his own worst enemy. And the thing that has made Romo what he is is something that you can't teach. Romo sees the whole field and processes it just like a great point guard sees the whole court.

What I came out from that video was how humble Tony was and that he really didn't believe that he was talented enough to make it to the NFL based on the competition back then.

On the other hand, it seems that Carter felt he was entitled to everything. Call it arrogance if you want. But when he stated that he was upset with the signing of Chad Hutchinson and he could believe that the team did that, it just shows how insecure and immature he really was at that time.

Plankton

Reaction score
I've not been pining for us to take a QB. However looking at our depth I think every QB on the roster not named Romo should be canned. My point is we are doing the same thing we did when Aikman was here.

No offense, but I think the point is to complain for the sake of complaining.

Romo hurt his back at the end of 2013. This means that they have had two offseasons to identify a potential replacement, or try to go for it while he still can play, and while Jason Witten is still a viable player.

They have chosen to go for it, and add resources to try and win a Super Bowl. To a team that is largely young everywhere else but QB.

When Aikman was there, from 1997, when his back required shots to get on the field, until his end after the 2000 season, the Cowboys were going for it, but with a far worse roster, and far more age at critical positions.

The situations really aren't the same, except for the QBs with back issues.

Aven8

Reaction score

Romo hurt his back at the end of 2013. This means that they have had two offseasons to identify a potential replacement, or try to go for it while he still can play, and while Jason Witten is still a viable player.

They have chosen to go for it, and add resources to try and win a Super Bowl. To a team that is largely young everywhere else but QB.

When Aikman was there, from 1997, when his back required shots to get on the field, until his end after the 2000 season, the Cowboys were going for it, but with a far worse roster, and far more age at critical positions.

I'm sorry, I'm not complaining. My stance has always been that I want to be entertained. When Romo doesn't play, or comes out in the PS and we cannot even move the freaking ball against 3rd and 4th stringers there is a problem. Romo is my favorite player on this team. But should he go down, it would be nice to not write off the season completely. At least with a Orton we had a chance. We have loads of talent now, why throw it all down the tubes??

Hoofbite

Reaction score
In the past, I've heard Bryan Broaddus on the radio recall the draft room in 2001.

He said Jerry Jones ordered everyone out of the room except Larry Lacewell before the Carter selection was made and that the scouts wanted ILB Kendrell Bell.

It's not surprising Broaddus didn't mention that nugget, and perhaps wasn't allowed to, but I've heard the story a couple of time along with the great debate in '98, Randy Moss vs Greg Ellis.

Broaddus said the room was split and became very heated, in the end, Jerry sided with his new head coach, Chan Gailey, any passed on drafting Moss.

Broaddus has mentioned this on twitter as well. He said the scouts were dead on in their assessment but it didn't matter. Jerry cleared the room and made the pick himself.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Broaddus has mentioned this on twitter as well. He said the scouts were dead on in their assessment but it didn't matter. Jerry cleared the room and made the pick himself.

I remember when the Quincy Carter selection was announced, I was in shock staring open mouthed at the TV.

But at least there was a huge need at QB.

I was even more crushed when the Carter selection was followed a few picks later in round two by the selection of Alabama safety Tony Dixon.

That really had me reeling.

That was as mad as I've become watching the draft. Passing on Jason Witten in round two in 2003 for C Al Johnson is a close second.

I know OL > TE, but I couldn't believe Wit was still on the board.

How the Vol lasted until our pick in round three I will never know.

I do remember hearing after the fact that San Francisco called while we were on the clock about to select Witten wanting to trade into our spot.

Their target? Witten, of course.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

I was saying last year that Bridgewater was gonna be the best QB we'd have a chance at grabbing in a while. We drafted Martin instead. You can't complain about drafting the most NFL ready interior OL in the draft who ended up being a rookie All Pro and solidifying the offense. But you have to admit that taking Martin over Bridgewater was rolling the dice on Romo. And this was coming off an off-season where Romo's future was really in question. I think it'll pay off and I'm glad we're doing all that we can to win one in the Romo era. But I don't see us having a chance at another Bridgewater.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I remember when the Quincy Carter selection was announced, I was in shock staring open mouthed at the TV.

But at least there was a huge need at QB.

I was even more crushed when the Carter selection was followed a few picks later in round two by the selection of Alabama safety Tony Dixon.

That really had me reeling.

I remember the Tony Dixon selection too. Cowboys got a lot of heat for taking him. I think he was rated around the 5th or 6th round at the time.

cej757

Reaction score
I remember Keyshawn Johnson saying Romo was terrible in practices and he was about to get cut. He said he would throw the ball anywhere and was being careless with the football. Funny how Darren Woodson had a different opinion. I'm sure Keyshawn was in Parcells ear at the time so I believe him if he said Tony was about to get cut. Plus they had just signed Vinny Testaverde so I'm assuming the depth chart at the time before Quincy's failed drug test was.

1 Quincy Carter
2 Vinny Testaverde
3 Drew Henson
4 Tony Romo