Star Trek: Discovery Season 3

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is anyone but me watching this show? It's friggin' amazing! The character development is outstanding, as are the acting and costume, set, and alien creature designs.

In the first season, there were only a couple of characters I felt anything toward. Then in Season 2, there were a few characters I thought had potential. But in this season, almost every one of the ship's crew is someone I'd miss, if they were to be written out..........as one was in this week's episode.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are five episodes into season three. This year has not had the 'glitz' of the first two seasons but these five episodes have been spectacular so far in my opinion. They have the truest Star Trek essence. I am simply in awe. Great great show.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We are five episodes into season three. This year has not had the 'glitz' of the first two seasons but these five episodes have been spectacular so far in my opinion. They have the truest Star Trek essence. I am simply in awe. Great great show.
I agree. This is starting to become possibly my favorite Star Trek series. The first two seasons, it was all about Michael for me, but now there are so many interesting characters, and the storyline is fantastic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. This is starting to become possibly my favorite Star Trek series. The first two seasons, it was all about Michael for me, but now there are so many interesting characters, and the storyline is fantastic.
Yep. In typical Star Trek series fashion, everybody shines in the spotlight but this show seems a cut above the rest in that way. Even limited guest stars have strong presence like the Admiral's lieutenant in the latest episode.

I do know this. Michelle Yeoh is rocking her opportunity as ultra villain but Michael's fierce protector. She has made me almost forget her initial role on the show as good guy federation captain lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep. In typical Star Trek series fashion, everybody shines in the spotlight but this show seems a cut above the rest in that way. Even limited guest stars have strong presence like the Admiral's lieutenant in the latest episode.

I do know this. Michelle Yeoh is rocking her opportunity as ultra villain but Michael's fierce protector. She has made me almost forget her initial role on the show as good guy federation captain lol.
I love the exchange between her and the interrogator. I have a feeling he did something to her, judging by her actions at the end, when Michael was talking to her. I'm actually glad it's a weekly show, so I get to look forward to it every week, rather than blowing right through it in a weekend.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love the exchange between her and the interrogator. I have a feeling he did something to her, judging by her actions at the end, when Michael was talking to her. I'm actually glad it's a weekly show, so I get to look forward to it every week, rather than blowing right through it in a weekend.
Agreed.
I think it happen when he allowed Phillapa to examine his communicator badge. I also think he belongs to Starfleet's 30th century version of Section 31.

catiii

Reaction score
Is anyone but me watching this show? It's friggin' amazing! The character development is outstanding, as are the acting and costume, set, and alien creature designs.

In the first season, there were only a couple of characters I felt anything toward. Then in Season 2, there were a few characters I thought had potential. But in this season, almost every one of the ship's crew is someone I'd miss, if they were to be written out..........as one was in this week's episode.
I watched this show the first season (when it was FREE) and liked it. I don't watch it OR Picard now because they charge to stream it now :(..I just have a problem paying to watch what used to be free TV over the airwaves just because I'm watching on a computer. They still get their advertising so charging for it on top of that is robbery. Hollywood don't deserve it anyway. o_O We got our own shows down here on Robicheaux Bayou thats free like "Gator Jumpin" "Crap Pot Justine" "Adventures of the Shrimp Trawlers" and the like.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched this show the first season (when it was FREE) and liked it. I don't watch it OR Picard now because they charge to stream it now :(..I just have a problem paying to watch what used to be free TV over the airwaves just because I'm watching on a computer. They still get their advertising so charging for it on top of that is robbery. Hollywood don't deserve it anyway. o_O We got our own shows down here on Robicheaux Bayou thats free like "Gator Jumpin" "Crap Pot Justine" "Adventures of the Shrimp Trawlers" and the like.
I had a hard time paying for another streaming service too, but Discovery and Picard are so good, I think it's worth it.

BTW, Discovery: S3 is much, much better than the first 2 seasons.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Repetitive storyline
Some viewers prefer episodic/segmented type of series over serial shows like Star Trek Discovery. In the franchise itself, both The Original Series and The Next Generation were mainly the former. The four following series--Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, and Discovery--make up the latter with difference ways they were presented.

DS9 was mostly segmented, which centralized on Bajor and connected elements. The series became more serial with the introduction of The Dominion in the series' latter half. ST:V tracked similarly to DS9 with the Borg after Seven of Nine's introduction. Enterprise's seasons were more like Discovery's format but the primary Xindi and Temporal Cold War story arcs were more disjointed in their presentation in my opinion.

Discovery's seasonal story arcs have been more contained and concise. Although the first season intertwined the Klingons and the Mirror Universe, they were both connected seamlessly into one. Ditto for Season Two's Red Angel/Control season long narrative. This season 'The Burn' storyline is shaping up really well.

Are you more of a fan of episodic/segmented series, which have different, sometimes totally disconnected plots, populating any particular season? Most television shows are constructed in that way.
annoying characters,
Which characters? Stamets? Tilly? Those are the only two I can think of that I kinda see may rub some viewers the wrong way (they can be whiny at times). Or is it all the characters?
lazy writing.
Did not see this one coming. Totally disagree.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Some viewers prefer episodic/segmented type of series over serial shows like Star Trek Discovery. In the franchise itself, both The Original Series and The Next Generation were mainly the former. The four following series--Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, and Discovery--make up the latter with difference ways they were presented.

DS9 was mostly segmented, which centralized on Bajor and connected elements. The series became more serial with the introduction of The Dominion in the series' latter half. ST:V tracked similarly to DS9 with the Borg after Seven of Nine's introduction. Enterprise's seasons were more like Discovery's format but the primary Xindi and Temporal Cold War story arcs were more disjointed in their presentation in my opinion.

Discovery's seasonal story arcs have been more contained and concise. Although the first season intertwined the Klingons and the Mirror Universe, they were both connected seamlessly into one. Ditto for Season Two's Red Angel/Control season long narrative. This season 'The Burn' storyline is shaping up really well.

Are you more of a fan of episodic/segmented series, which have different, sometimes totally disconnected plots, populating any particular season? Most television shows are constructed in that way.
Which characters? Stamets? Tilly? Those are the only two I can think of that I kinda see may rub some viewers the wrong way (they can be whiny at times). Or is it all the characters?
Did not see this one coming. Totally disagree.

Keep in mind, it's been over a year since I last watched it and I haven't seen any of S3. Serialized narratives are pretty much a thing of the past these days. I don't really have a preference, TBH. The problem with Discovery is that there's very little meaningful plot development.

Annoying characters:

Michael - Personality of a wet paper sack
Tilly - Intentionally annoying
Yeoh - Asian version of Michael
Stamets - Over the top
Pike - Not a fan of the actor playing him, either

I just couldn't get behind any of the characters, really. I found myself just wanting them to end each episode I watched.

The Season 1 Klingon plot was plodding and boring. Season 2 was unnecessarily convoluted, with too many unfocused plot lines running and too much cliche. That's why I said it was lazy writing. I didn't make it to the ending of Season 2, but read that it was pretty bad, too, and just kind of erased everything they had done up until that point.

I really wanted to like it. The cinematography is amazing.

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Do you have netflix? If so do you have a VPN?

I say this because if you can use a VPN to make your computer look like it's connected in the UK...They have Star Trek Discovery on the UK server of Neflix. Even showing the current season episode by episode.

I do not see this as cheating the system or piracy at all. I pay for netflix, I should be able to access all that netflix has to offer. And since they have some other shows on other countries servers, I take advantage of it with my VPN.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Love this show. I tried watching the Picard series but only made it half way. I have been told it gets better but just could not get into it.
I like Picard a lot as well. I almost forget I'm not watching a movie when I watch it. Though I have to admit, I wasn't crazy about the whole android civilization vs. life theme last season.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Keep in mind, it's been over a year since I last watched it and I haven't seen any of S3. Serialized narratives are pretty much a thing of the past these days. I don't really have a preference, TBH. The problem with Discovery is that there's very little meaningful plot development.

Annoying characters:

Michael - Personality of a wet paper sack
Tilly - Intentionally annoying
Yeoh - Asian version of Michael
Stamets - Over the top
Pike - Not a fan of the actor playing him, either

I just couldn't get behind any of the characters, really. I found myself just wanting them to end each episode I watched.

The Season 1 Klingon plot was plodding and boring. Season 2 was unnecessarily convoluted, with too many unfocused plot lines running and too much cliche. That's why I said it was lazy writing. I didn't make it to the ending of Season 2, but read that it was pretty bad, too, and just kind of erased everything they had done up until that point.

I really wanted to like it. The cinematography is amazing.
I really don't see why you feel that way about Michael or Yeoh. I think they're both deep characters, and the woman who plays Michael is a phenomenal actor, IMO. She speaks whole sentences with a look.

To each his own, but I don't see it at all.