'Star Wars: Episode VII' Cast Announced

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Wrong.

The Wrath of Khan was released in North America on June 4, 1982. It was a box office success, earning US$97 million worldwide and setting a world record for first-day box office gross. Critical reaction to the film was positive; reviewers highlighted Khan, the film's pacing, and the character interactions as strong elements. Negative reaction focused on weak special effects and some of the acting. The Wrath of Khan is generally considered to be the best film of the entireStar Trek series and is credited with the creation of substantial renewed interest in the franchise.

Despite crappy effects. The "complete" movie sucked you in.

Yeah...that's what I had heard, but upon viewing it, I discovered that all of that was rubbish. The Khan character was laughable.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
It's an emotional scene (if I'm allowed to say that about a Trek movie), but it's not an overwhelming one for me. One of my favorite scenes is Kirk getting his revenge by repeatedly kicking the Klingon captain in the face until the guy drops into the lava.

My vote for trouble-making-it-through Trek movie goes to The Final Frontier. That's got to be (in my opinion) the worst of the series. Having Nichelle Nichols do a fan dance in shadow..? That's just one of a number of scenes I can only shake my head at.

Would have been better back in the 60's during TOS original run

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yeah...that's what I had heard, but upon viewing it, I discovered that all of that was rubbish. The Khan character was laughable.

actually there was considerable speculation that Montalban might get a Academy Award nomination for that role. Never happened of course but there was a fair amount of talk in those that speculate on that.

visionary

Reaction score
Scarlett Johansson and Joss Whedon have done an excellent job with the Black Widow character. She is as deadly on screen as she is in the comics.

Scarlett johansson is right in my book 'largely' due to her special talents
Deadly is an accurate description

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Watched the original trilogy over the weekend. Sadly, I only had the 2004 DVD Special Editions on hand as I had loaned the 2006 DVD with the original theater versions to my mother. Seeing Hayden Christensen and his dumb expression at the end of Return almost ruined my weekend.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Watched the original trilogy over the weekend. Sadly, I only had the 2004 DVD Special Editions on hand as I had loaned the 2006 DVD with the original theater versions to my mother. Seeing Hayden Christensen and his dumb expression at the end of Return almost ruined my weekend.

Return?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Expressions aside, I like how George Lucas edited out Sebastian Shaw and superimposed Christensen in his place at the end. Anakin Skywalker was a true Jedi (despite his relationship with Padme) until his desperation allowed the Emperor to break him. It's like Obi-Wan Kenobi stated to Luke Skywalker:
Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.
Technically, Anakin Skywalker redeemed himself by killing the Emperor. However, his actions returned him to whom he once was and not someone totally new in his final moments of life. Purists do not like the editing, but I prefer the young Anakin Force ghost over the old one.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Expressions aside, I like how George Lucas edited out Sebastian Shaw and superimposed Christensen in his place at the end. Anakin Skywalker was a true Jedi (despite his relationship with Padme) until his desperation allowed the Emperor to break him. It's like Obi-Wan Kenobi stated to Luke Skywalker:Technically, Anakin Skywalker redeemed himself by killing the Emperor. However, his actions returned him to whom he once was and not someone totally new in his final moments of life. Purists do not like the editing, but I prefer the young Anakin Force ghost over the old one.

My biggest gripe is that Luke would have no idea what his young father looked like.

burmafrd

Reaction score
My biggest gripe is that Luke would have no idea what his young father looked like.
which is why in the original he was aged. Amazing how many here miss the logic.

Yoda and Obi Wan were shown as the age where they died. So why would not Anakin be the same?

DanteEXT

Reaction score

I should also note that I prefer the Ewok Celebration song as compared to what replaced it. (Full disclosure - I've owned Ewok Celebration on 45 since I was a kid)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A Jedi would not be bound to sight alone. The Force would confirm for him who his father was. Luke did not know who his sister was, but his connection to the Force allowed him to know that it was Leia.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I should also note that I prefer the Ewok Celebration song as compared to what replaced it. (Full disclosure - I've owned Ewok Celebration on 45 since I was a kid)
I agree with that. Additionally, I do not agree with all the edits Lucas employed. For example, I thought the galactic celebration scenes (i.e. Coruscant, etc.) running in conjunction with the Ewok Celebration was too much. The battle was won on the Ewoks on Endor and the film's climatic celebration could have remained isolated to Endor only.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I agree with that. Additionally, I do not agree with all the edits Lucas employed. For example, I thought the galactic celebration scenes (i.e. Coruscant, etc.) running in conjunction with the Ewok Celebration was too much. The battle was won on the Ewoks on Endor and the film's climatic celebration could have remained isolated to Endor only.

I agree. He went overboard at times.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

I did like the desert, ice planet and then forest themes. 4, 5 and 6 movies respectively.