State of the Franchise

T-RO

Reaction score
Here is where the Cowboys sit:

-They have are 22-10 over the past two season.
-The Boys sit with one of the younger teams in the league. Lots of players are just entering their prime years.
-We aren't cap rich, but we probably sit better w/the cap than in previous years
-Final payment on Romo ($9 mil) will be paid soon
-We draft close to the middle of the first round, not at the end of rounds
-We have 3 bonus draft picks acquired because of prudent thinking in last season's free agency
-The secondary is looking really promising
-We have one of the best pass rushers in the game
-Zeke has no more suspensions hanging

If folks can't find a few positives to talk about...they are running from them because of their own bad attitude.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

-The Boys sit with one of the younger teams in the league. Lots of players are just entering their prime years.
-We aren't cap rich, but we probably sit better w/the cap than in previous years
-We have 3 bonus draft picks acquired because of prudent thinking in last season's free agency

If folks can't find a few positives to talk about...they are running from them because of their own bad attitude.
I think people will get a little more positive as we get further into the off-season. Everyone has to realize that the Cowboys' off-season started a month ago, and right now we are not only watching other teams still playing, which means being reminded constantly the Cowboys season is over, we are also watching the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl with a back-up quarterback.

It's not realistic to expect fans, many of whom dislike the current coaching staff, to be happy or look on the bright side while all of this is going on. This was the first season in a while where there was no big excuse to lean on for the end of the season. No bad referee call. No starting quarterback out for most of the season. While there was an excuse waiting to be used with the Elliott suspension, that all went out of the window when the Cowboys couldn't even beat the Seahawks at home when Elliott returned.

Right now, it's probably the worst feeling for most fans in several years given the scenarios that have unfolded this season. I think fans' attitudes will get better and a little more positive as the off-season progresses, but right now, I fully expect people to be disappointed in general, angry and unhappy with the team, and a little mentally exhausted from the ups and downs of this season including the will-he-won't-he Elliott soap opera during the middle of the season.

Personally, I'm over the season. I'm not down about where the team is talent wise because I still think we have a good team, but I'm not overly excited about next season just yet either, especially with the playoffs so far working out the way they have. I want to see the team maybe sign one or two really good free agents, which they haven't been doing lately, and I want to see us get some really good picks in the draft that can possibly help us next season. If and/or when those things happen, I'll start getting more excited about next season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve got a lot of things going right. But we do need to add 4-5 players to the roster who can actually play at a high level. And one or two of those need to be actual impact defenders. It’s doable, but not something we can just bank on.

And that’s before any possible FA losses like Cooper or Hitch.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I love threads like this.

There are so many positives to talk about like the original poster stated.

So many.

But there are zero that matter in a true sense beyond hope and faith.

Now if you told me that Jerry Jones perished, Jason Garrett was fired, we were flush with cap room and got a couple extra premium draft picks, I might actually be all excited and stuff.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
We’ve got a lot of things going right. But we do need to add 4-5 players to the roster who can actually play at a high level. And one or two of those need to be actual impact defenders. It’s doable, but not something we can just bank on.

And that’s before any possible FA losses like Cooper or Hitch.
Yep.

Just four or five guys. That's all.

Just that. Get that all is good.

And cross your fingers we don't lose Hutchins. Oh no, that would be just devastating.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I think people will get a little more positive as we get further into the off-season. Everyone has to realize that the Cowboys' off-season started a month ago, and right now we are not only watching other teams still playing, which means being reminded constantly the Cowboys season is over, we are also watching the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl with a back-up quarterback.

It's not realistic to expect fans, many of whom dislike the current coaching staff, to be happy or look on the bright side while all of this is going on. This was the first season in a while where there was no big excuse to lean on for the end of the season. No bad referee call. No starting quarterback out for most of the season. While there was an excuse waiting to be used with the Elliott suspension, that all went out of the window when the Cowboys couldn't even beat the Seahawks at home when Elliott returned.

Right now, it's probably the worst feeling for most fans in several years given the scenarios that have unfolded this season. I think fans' attitudes will get better and a little more positive as the off-season progresses, but right now, I fully expect people to be disappointed in general, angry and unhappy with the team, and a little mentally exhausted from the ups and downs of this season including the will-he-won't-he-Elliott soap opera during the middle of the season.

Personally, I'm over the season. I'm not down about where the team is at because I still think we have a good team, but I'm not overly excited about next season just yet either, especially with the playoffs so far working out the way they have. I want to see the team maybe sign one or two really good free agents, which they haven't been doing lately, and I want to see us get some really good picks in the draft that can possibly help us next season. If and/or when those things happen, I'll start getting more excited about next season.

:hammer:

Eagles in the Super Bowl... is still taking time to process. Well feel better after a few weeks, no matter the outcome.

GenoT

Reaction score
As long as the owner acts as his own GM and continues to hire HCs who will allow him to bask in his own fantasies, while limiting said coaches’ autonomy regarding their own assistants, nothing will change enough to get this franchise back to the Super Bowl.

22 seasons, 5 HCs, with only 3 wildcard playoff wins and getting no closer to the NFC Champ game since our last SB-winning season, doesn’t lie.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Right now, it's probably the worst feeling for most fans in several years given the scenarios that have unfolded this season. I think fans' attitudes will get better and a little more positive as the off-season progresses, but right now, I fully expect people to be disappointed in general, angry and unhappy with the team, and a little mentally exhausted from the ups and downs of this season including the will-he-won't-he Elliott soap opera during the middle of the season.

Personally, I'm over the season. I'm not down about where the team is talent wise because I still think we have a good team, but I'm not overly excited about next season just yet either, especially with the playoffs so far working out the way they have. I want to see the team maybe sign one or two really good free agents, which they haven't been doing lately, and I want to see us get some really good picks in the draft that can possibly help us next season. If and/or when those things happen, I'll start getting more excited about next season.

This season was hijacked by Goodell......it was an anomaly

We are in a strong position going forward

We have 50m in cap space and 10 Draft picks

We are young and talented at QB, RB, DB and DL and strong at OL, TE, LB and ST

Re-sign DLaw, D Irving, Cooper and Hitchens
Sign Poe, Moncrief and TRawls
Trade for EThomas
Draft BPA

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let's take these one by one. Fairly.

And they are 9-7 over this past season. It's kind of meaningful how you got to 22-10. This Cowboys team got there by regressing 4 games and watching the playoffs.

I'm not looking at the stats but that's probably true. Whether it means anything remains to be seen. Bad players start off young too.

I have no clue. All I know is, despite what Stevey says, the Cowboys are never in a position to be big players in free agency to improve the team. Despite two decades of losing. You'd think it would be one or the other. Either you're a good team over 20 years with little cap room or a bad team with loads of space. The Cowboys have managed to be bad and poor for 20 years.

And several big extensions are on the horizon. Starting with Zack Martin.

What does it all mean, Basil?

This only matters in the first round and 19th isn't exactly a high pick. Mentioning this feels desperate.

Does "prudent thinking" mean dumpster diving in FA yet again and failing to improve the team to the point we're watching the playoffs?

These guys have a vision.

I'd argue the comp picks are simply the side effect of the Cowboys being forced into inactivity in free agency by their own incompetence.

Agreed but that is almost meaningless when you are structured the way the Cowboys are and with no QB. We are not going to overcome the fatal flaws of this team with a great secondary. Not happening.

I hesitate to agree. I need to see another season like this last one but potentially yes.

Definite plus. The RB and the OL is in good shape. The rest of the offense is in shambles.

Seems normal to me that after a season of severe regression the talk would be negative. Seeking positives is probably what is going to lead the Cowboys into another terrible offseason. Stop seeking positives and start seeking the truth. This team needs a radical change and instead will just get a cosmetic touch up for yet another failed season in 2018.

RamziD

Reaction score
The fact that we chose a former backup QB with zero coaching experience to coach the guy we hope to be our franchise QB tells you all you need to know about the organization. It’s a complete joke.

Verdict

Reaction score

If the team has what most consider to be a good draft, optimism will abound. Especially if the team drafts "name" guys and the talking heads rave about us.

If we draft a bunch of guys from small schools no one has heard of and make some unpopular trades then this place is going to be like a powder keg waiting g to explode.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score

Finally something i want to respond to.

I'm worried that the oline needs a little bit of new blood.
I'm worried about how accurate or inaccurate Dak is or isn't.
I'm worried about how good these WR's are.
I'm worried about Jason Witten becoming so slow next season that he contributes nothing besides some decent blocking and a little leadership.
I'm worried about what Jaylon Smith is going to become and how long he can maintain a healthy status.

I think the coaching is not as bad as we make it out to be.
I think if Jerry is less involved atm/future we could benefit.
I think the youth could spark something special if they get rolling again, we lost to GB in the playoffs because these youngins started that game very slowly.
I think EE and Dak have to be the leaders of this team whether the fans like Dak or not.

I think the NFL is unstable, but i also think we are closer to becoming a dynasty than we have been in the last 20 years, which has been a terrible experience.

It's half futility because of the last 20 years and it's half optimism because there are a few nice pieces.

It shouldn't take a great organization 20+ years to win titles again, never mind no NFCC game appearances. At least Danny White kept this team in the final 4 a few times and if not for the greatness in Joe Montana Danny White would have won a SB maybe even two.

Jerry Jones is to be praised for buying the Cowboys when he did because if he didn't we would have three less SB wins, but Jerry Jones is also to be blamed for ruining the very thing he helped create. It's not a easy situation.

I'll be ready with all i have in me to cheer on the Cowboy's next season. The emotions do sway during the season, but ill be ready like i always am.

That's to much for me because most of this is basic 101 and no need to really type it. We all know whats what.

:star: