State of the Franchise

Big_D

Reaction score
Garrett has two playoff appearances in 7 years and one playoff win.

By no logical measure can someone conclude that this has been a successful run.

If a coach is hired there needs to be a window of expectations from the front office? This is very odd and a major problem when management has zero sense of urgency! A guy who consistently gets burned in any tough spot. Been happening right from day one. Pressure.. nope can’t handle it!! Still Wade and Jerry’s fault apparently? A team with no confidence at all.. not really sure what the front office is looking at. Any coach could’ve hovered around mediocre for 8 years, management definitely needs to raise their bar a little! This team needed a real coach 10 years ago, Jerry brings in 2 clowns and one’s still here. Sad!!

wssaustin

Reaction score
Typical homer-feels-good post. In NFL, the talent margin between teams are very small. Each team have their own stars, strength etc.
The reality is that successful franchises all have wise management and a winning culture, not only they hire smart coaches but also have high football IQ players. Cowboys' problem is not the talent, it is the management and culture, always fights hard but fumbles at the most critical moment mentality.

wssaustin

Reaction score
It doesn't matter, Browns could hardly hit minimal cap spending and have tons of top drafts, still, where are they?

This season was hijacked by Goodell......it was an anomaly

We are in a strong position going forward

We have 50m in cap space and 10 Draft picks

We are young and talented at QB, RB, DB and DL and strong at OL, TE, LB and ST

Re-sign DLaw, D Irving, Cooper and Hitchens
Sign Poe, Moncrief and TRawls
Trade for EThomas
Draft BPA

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I think people will get a little more positive as we get further into the off-season. Everyone has to realize that the Cowboys' off-season started a month ago, and right now we are not only watching other teams still playing, which means being reminded constantly the Cowboys season is over, we are also watching the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl with a back-up quarterback.

It's not realistic to expect fans, many of whom dislike the current coaching staff, to be happy or look on the bright side while all of this is going on. This was the first season in a while where there was no big excuse to lean on for the end of the season. No bad referee call. No starting quarterback out for most of the season. While there was an excuse waiting to be used with the Elliott suspension, that all went out of the window when the Cowboys couldn't even beat the Seahawks at home when Elliott returned.

Right now, it's probably the worst feeling for most fans in several years given the scenarios that have unfolded this season. I think fans' attitudes will get better and a little more positive as the off-season progresses, but right now, I fully expect people to be disappointed in general, angry and unhappy with the team, and a little mentally exhausted from the ups and downs of this season including the will-he-won't-he Elliott soap opera during the middle of the season.

Personally, I'm over the season. I'm not down about where the team is talent wise because I still think we have a good team, but I'm not overly excited about next season just yet either, especially with the playoffs so far working out the way they have. I want to see the team maybe sign one or two really good free agents, which they haven't been doing lately, and I want to see us get some really good picks in the draft that can possibly help us next season. If and/or when those things happen, I'll start getting more excited about next season.
Great analysis. It is extremely hard to get excited about this organization right now. Ground hog day has been going on for 8 years now. If around Thanksgiving we are playing winning football and Garrett and Linehan have made some positive scheme adjustments, in game adjustments, and managed the clock appropriately, I will probably jump on the positive band wagon. Until them I am a realist, hoping Garrett resigns or is fired.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry's been rearranging deck chairs for 22 years. Garrett is just one of them.

True and true.

0e49708eb8f3afe62abfc260928485b1--the-pigeon-laughing.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The only one he really needs to re-arrange is the one with GM on it but he seems to have an affinity for the chair at the bow of the boat

Jerry is playing the ultimate game of fantasy football. He's more interested in being perceived as the reason the Cowboys win than just having the Cowboys win.