State of the Franchise

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once the Eagles lose the Super Bowl, my guess is things will be at least a little more positive around here.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All you need to know is Jerry just stated all the coaches aren't at the Senior Bowl they're back in Dallas working on new schemes including a Dak friendly offense .

I am now happy and looking forward to next season.

However that said Jerry also stated he's happy with our receiving Corps they're just being used incorrectly.

The only question I have after all of this is why did we keep the coordinator who ran this whole train wreck?
But change is good so let's move on

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people will get a little more positive as we get further into the off-season. Everyone has to realize that the Cowboys' off-season started a month ago, and right now we are not only watching other teams still playing, which means being reminded constantly the Cowboys season is over, we are also watching the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl with a back-up quarterback.

It's not realistic to expect fans, many of whom dislike the current coaching staff, to be happy or look on the bright side while all of this is going on. This was the first season in a while where there was no big excuse to lean on for the end of the season. No bad referee call. No starting quarterback out for most of the season. While there was an excuse waiting to be used with the Elliott suspension, that all went out of the window when the Cowboys couldn't even beat the Seahawks at home when Elliott returned.

Right now, it's probably the worst feeling for most fans in several years given the scenarios that have unfolded this season. I think fans' attitudes will get better and a little more positive as the off-season progresses, but right now, I fully expect people to be disappointed in general, angry and unhappy with the team, and a little mentally exhausted from the ups and downs of this season including the will-he-won't-he Elliott soap opera during the middle of the season.

Personally, I'm over the season. I'm not down about where the team is talent wise because I still think we have a good team, but I'm not overly excited about next season just yet either, especially with the playoffs so far working out the way they have. I want to see the team maybe sign one or two really good free agents, which they haven't been doing lately, and I want to see us get some really good picks in the draft that can possibly help us next season. If and/or when those things happen, I'll start getting more excited about next season.

I'm glad to read that someone understands and feels much the same way.
:thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The state of the franchise depends on your perspective and expectations.

Fans continue to place lofty goals from our glorious history as the bar but then in the same breathe realize Jerry’s ways limits our football teams potential for success.

Something has to give in how how we evaluate our results and analyze moving forward .

If we realize Jerry isn’t a good GM and Garrett isn’t qualified to be a HC we should adjust our expectations much like you wouldn’t expect a C student to Ace a test.

This all goes back to my arguments on how to accept and attempt to overcome our dysfunctional situation . It takes a different mindset when dealing with handicaps , hurdles and obstacles other franchises don’t have to endure.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This tough-guy-fan talk always makes me laugh. Plane crash kills half the team and they don't have a winning season. BUT NO EXCUSES!

What "makes me laugh" are the homers who rush to defend mediocrity at every turn. Sure they sucked this year, but, but 22-10! Like nobody notices your selective number selection. What if we play that game differently? What if we choose three years instead of just two? Let's see how that looks?

Uh oh! Then it drops to 26-22! Yeah, let's not do that!

I see some risk that Prescott won't be the franchise Quarterback we need. Maybe 20% chance. I also say there's a 30% chance he's a guy who will be in pro bowls. Your Prescott views are a wall of hate...but do keep us all amused.

Just like your "remain calm, all is well" attempts. Very "amusing".

That absolutely was the plan, and I'll tell you why I know. The baseball community, which has gone highly sabermetric, has eschewed free agents--because the research says they usually don't work out. You overpay for aging players who are declining and more injury prone. The template now in baseball is to go youth, youth, youth. Wanna know who attends--and has been a speaker--at some of those sabrmetric seminars? Stephen Jones. They've said it 100 times but you refuse to listen...the team values draft picks far more than free agency.

And that "baseball plan" worked out great for the Browns, didn't it? Enlighten everyone about how brilliant of a "plan" it was to sign Nolan Carroll and a bunch of stiffs? Should be "amusing".

Your team was a huge disappointment this year and barely eked out a winning record because the other team didn't care. And won another game based on nothing more than a lucky bounce. Deal with that fact.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The good news is that as Cowboys fans we've had more time to develop new hobbies every Jan/Feb over the last 20 years. Not like those nasty years in the past where I had to keep my Sundays open during those months...yuck!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What "makes me laugh" are the homers who rush to defend mediocrity at every turn. Sure they sucked this year, but, but 22-10! Like nobody notices your selective number selection. What if we play that game differently? What if we choose three years instead of just two? Let's see how that looks?

Uh oh! Then it drops to 26-22! Yeah, let's not do that!

Just like your "remain calm, all is well" attempts. Very "amusing".

And that "baseball plan" worked out great for the Browns, didn't it? Enlighten everyone about how brilliant of a "plan" it was to sign Nolan Carroll and a bunch of stiffs? Should be "amusing".

Your team was a huge disappointment this year and barely eked out a winning record because the other team didn't care. And won another game based on nothing more than a lucky bounce. Deal with that fact.
Correct! Facts can be spun in different directions to support a narrative.

Are we dealing with the facts and basing our expectations and evaluations properly?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What we’re our expectations this year?

Perhaps this would make a good thread on its own.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct! Facts can be spun in different directions to support a narrative.

Are we dealing with the facts and basing our expectations and evaluations properly?

There is no "proper", despite your constant contention otherwise. Each of us has our own way of processing and dealing with things, but none of us has the "right way".

aria

Reaction score
This franchise will not return to consistently winning until the reason for the demise no longer exists.
Statistics are on our side, it shouldn’t be long, then full speed ahead.

Sydla

Reaction score
The biggest negative here is that despite hinting at questions about the coaching of this team (when Jerry talked about looking at why we failed in the Denver and Atlanta games, for example), they brought back the three most responsible for the direction of this team - Garrett, Linehan and Marinelli.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is no "proper", despite your constant contention otherwise. Each of us has our own way of processing and dealing with things, but none of us has the "right way".
That’s true and of course subjective. I think it’s entirely possible some have a better way.

I’d like to think some of us have it figured out. Surely we all aren’t wrong?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s true and of course subjective. I think it’s entirely possible some have a better way.

I’d like to think some of us have it figured out. Surely we all aren’t wrong?

As you said, "subjective". But nobody has it "figured out". Not you, not me, not anyone. And certainly and obviously nobody involved in this organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As you said, "subjective". But nobody has it "figured out". Not you, not me, not anyone. And certainly and obviously nobody involved in this organization.
If we recognize the weaknesses our organization doesn’t or at least fails to address properly I’d say we have it more figured out than they do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we recognize the weaknesses our organization doesn’t or at least fails to address properly I’d say we have it more figured out than they do.

That's fine for you to feel that way. I'd rather not argue over minutiae.