State of the Franchise

conner01

Reaction score
There are lots of positives
I know many rather harp on the negatives but there really are lots of positives
We have 10 picks and if we do a good job we can add 2 or 3 guys who can immediately have an impact, if we do a great job we have the makings of a pretty good young team
We have problems as the 30 teams watching the super bowl do but we are getting in better shape on the cap just in time to lock up Martin and we’ve locked up others
If we can get good about play, develope our young secondary add a few pieces we can turn this team around
The main part of the staff is staying and it’s incumbent on them to right the ship or 3 of them will be soon unemployed

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
When we lost to GB in the playoffs it felt like the players were cold to start the game, i guess i'd have to look at it again but i didn't think it was bad play calling that got us in the hole early.

So if that's true the bright side is these young players needed some playoff experience and they had a sophomore slump this season. I'm not buying all the stock but if i owned it i wouldn't sell just yet, and that's optimism.

T-RO

Reaction score
All positive things.

With that said, coaching matters a ton in the NFL.

Tell me how the Cowboys coaching is trending upwards and I’ll climb onboard the ‘glass is half full’ train,

The current coaches don't have anything to do with 22-10? And if the coaches were able to take a team in 2016--with no good healthy pass rushers and a rookie quarterback to a 13-3 mark...and a Aaron Rogers hail Marry away--that and some 'curious' officiating--from the NFC title game---why the hell is it implausible a more talented team with these coaches can't go deeper...or all the way? What am I missing?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Let's take these one by one. Fairly.

And they are 9-7 over this past season. It's kind of meaningful how you got to 22-10. This Cowboys team got there by regressing 4 games and watching the playoffs.

I'm not looking at the stats but that's probably true. Whether it means anything remains to be seen. Bad players start off young too.

I have no clue. All I know is, despite what Stevey says, the Cowboys are never in a position to be big players in free agency to improve the team. Despite two decades of losing. You'd think it would be one or the other. Either you're a good team over 20 years with little cap room or a bad team with loads of space. The Cowboys have managed to be bad and poor for 20 years.

And several big extensions are on the horizon. Starting with Zack Martin.

What does it all mean, Basil?

This only matters in the first round and 19th isn't exactly a high pick. Mentioning this feels desperate.

Does "prudent thinking" mean dumpster diving in FA yet again and failing to improve the team to the point we're watching the playoffs?

These guys have a vision.

I'd argue the comp picks are simply the side effect of the Cowboys being forced into inactivity in free agency by their own incompetence.

Agreed but that is almost meaningless when you are structured the way the Cowboys are and with no QB. We are not going to overcome the fatal flaws of this team with a great secondary. Not happening.

I hesitate to agree. I need to see another season like this last one but potentially yes.

Definite plus. The RB and the OL is in good shape. The rest of the offense is in shambles.

Seems normal to me that after a season of severe regression the talk would be negative. Seeking positives is probably what is going to lead the Cowboys into another terrible offseason. Stop seeking positives and start seeking the truth. This team needs a radical change and instead will just get a cosmetic touch up for yet another failed season in 2018.
your posts remind me of a line from Bad Santa

Marcus- "You're an emotional cripple. Your soul is dog ****. Every single freakin thing about you is ugly."

T-RO

Reaction score
And they are 9-7 over this past season. It's kind of meaningful how you got to 22-10

Yes it is and its a huge endorsement of the coaches, players and the team's future. 13-3 was the best NFC mark...and 9-7 wasn't that bad considering losses of Zeke, Lee, Irving, Hitch, and TSmith.

Yes Dak did struggle in the second half, but with more support up front and in the receiving crew--which is coming--I'm optimistic that we'll see Dak play like he did in his first 24 games...not what we saw in the final 8.

I'd argue the comp picks are simply the side effect of the Cowboys being forced into inactivity in free agency by their own incompetence.

You'd be expressing your own ignorance on the issue. The Cowboys have been very forthright that they value the DRAFT...not the perpetual debacle which is free agency. Why don't you take them at their word instead of making up some fantasy that matches your dour narrative. The front office also wants YOUNG players, so passing on the last free agency -- and grabbing picks instead-- was an ideal way to flip the roster.

The rest of the offense is in shambles.

Shambles? I think you mean 'Greatness'. In 2016 we had a top 3 offense and we had a top 3 offense again in the first 8 games. The Zeke suspension and Tsmith injury--without a good backup derailed the locomotive.

JBond

Reaction score
:hammer:

Eagles in the Super Bowl... is still taking time to process. Well feel better after a few weeks, no matter the outcome.
So torn. Love the empty glass trophy case of Eagles failure. Respect Brady and the Brain, but I'm not sure I want them to win again.

T-RO

Reaction score
We’ve got a lot of things going right. But we do need to add 4-5 players to the roster who can actually play at a high level. And one or two of those need to be actual impact defenders. It’s doable, but not something we can just bank on.

And that’s before any possible FA losses like Cooper or Hitch.

Yes we need to improve at a few spots.

But let's honestly ask...which of these players aren't poised to improve or possibly breakthrough?

Lewis (above average already...how high can he go?)
Awuzie (star in the making, I believe)
L Collins (w/position change his play was mixed but is emerging as stud)
Jaylon (can only improve)
Spitzer (big return could be a sign of future playmaking)
Dak is only a kid still...room to improve
Rico might bring something special

And more:
With a proper thumper tackle beside him--which we will get--Maelik Collins can move back to his natural position. Maelik Collins is a talent.

Zeke should play more than 10 games and not have that issue hanging over his head.

Martin played through injury, but that's been cleaned up.

Tsmith gets to refresh and if he is hampered next season, we can be confident there'll be a better backup in place.

JBond

Reaction score
Yes it is and its a huge endorsement of the coaches, players and the team's future. 13-3 was the best NFC mark...and 9-7 wasn't that bad considering losses of Zeke, Lee, Irving, Hitch, and TSmith.

Yes Dak did struggle in the second half, but with more support up front and in the receiving crew--which is coming--I'm optimistic that we'll see Dak play like he did in his first 24 games...not what we saw in the final 8.

You'd be expressing your own ignorance on the issue. The Cowboys have been very forthright that they value the DRAFT...not the perpetual debacle which is free agency. Why don't you take them at their word instead of making up some fantasy that matches your dour narrative. The front office also wants YOUNG players, so passing on the last free agency -- and grabbing picks instead-- was an ideal way to flip the roster.

Shambles? I think you mean 'Greatness'. In 2016 we had a top 3 offense and we had a top 3 offense again in the first 8 games. The Zeke suspension and Tsmith injury--without a good backup derailed the locomotive.
Yet Philly is in the SB after sustaining far worse injuries to major players.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite the red haired guy on the sideline, the Cowboys have as good a chance as anyone in the NFC to rebound and have a decent year.

They should make the playoffs. Compete for a championship? I still can’t see Garrett leading us to that level but if the draft is decent and last years young DBs grow and develop, good things can happen.

Only 1 of the 6 playoff teams from the NFC in 2016 made it this year. That probably means several of this year’s playoff teams won’t make it in 2018. The cowboys have enough talent to make some noise in 2018. I just have a hard time seeing this HC being innovative enough to push this team beyond the wild card round. We’ll see. Hard to to predict a lot before seeing the draft.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Negativity is to be expected. Most are still going through the mourning phase for their expectations and this is a process that takes some time.

And at this point, nothing has changed except for some coaches and that's all unknown as they were let go from their former jobs. These coaches are like 14 year old virgins in Arkansas, if she ain't good enough for her own kin is she good enough for us?

We still have the FA period to get through with our own and possibly others, depending on the cap. and then the draft. And until the FA period is over, we really don't know the most critical needs in the draft.

One thing for sure. A 9-7 team has plenty to debate half full/half empty glass until the season starts. And the half empties don't need to be convinced through argument, they just need some time to work through it and see if they can convince themselves.

And all the while we're discussing the Cowboys, it's not them as much as it is the other NFC teams. They don't just have to get better but better than another 6-8 NFC teams. And healthy, I don't have them as a top 6 right now.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe the difference here is I don't make excuses for the team. Especially considering the NFL representative has dealt with a number of injures to key players.

The bottom line is, no excuses, the Cowboys have regressed to 9 wins. The arrow is pointing down not up.

The fact that you would include Anthony Hitchens on that list tells me you are a completely irrational fanatic.

I've seen the same Prescott for 32 games. One that can't make all the throws, can't see the field, needs to be carried by others around him. I want a franchise QB.

There is not a bigger personnel problem on this team.

Fantasy? You're talking about how well run the Cowboys are and I'm the one living in a fantasy?

You can ALL CAPS whichever words you want to. For the better part of 20 years the Cowboys have been cap poor. It's prevented them from even attempting to do anything major in free agency because of their own incompetence. The way they approach FA is the only way they can. They don't have a choice. They don't get gold stars for it. It wasn't a secret plan to stockpile comp picks.

This "ideal" way to flip the roster led to watching the playoffs this year. While a team like the Eagles, who apparently don't have such visionaries in their organization, aggressively approached FA and added key pieces to their Super Bowl run.

I'll take not ideal.

Yes, shambles. That's an accurate description for the current state of the offense minus the RB and the OL. The QB, WRs and TE position is in shambles. 100%. I couldn't be more accurate about that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.

Just four or five guys. That's all.

Just that. Get that all is good.

And cross your fingers we don't lose Hutchins. Oh no, that would be just devastating.

How many did the 7-9 Eagles add this off-season? Jernigan, Jeffries, Ajayi, Burnett, Blount, Smith, Long. That’s about it, right? I guess that’s 7. Still doable.

And we’ve been arguing about Hitchens since you were proclaiming in draft day he couldn’t play. He’s about to sit a ~$25MM contract. Oops.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I feel like the Cowboys should stick with Hogeboom over White. Danny can't get it done. GARY WILL GET US OUR FOURTH!

T-RO

Reaction score
These coaches are like 14 year old virgins in Arkansas, if she ain't good enough for her own kin is she good enough for us?

If the coaches are so bad...how have they gone 22-10 in past two seasons--despite Romo getting hurt leading into 2016 and all the craziness we endured this past year.

I get some of the criticism but holy crap this forum is full of wildly exaggerated negativity--especially regarding the coaches.

T-RO

Reaction score
Maybe the difference here is I don't make excuses for the team. Especially considering the NFL representative has dealt with a number of injures to key players.

This tough-guy-fan talk always makes me laugh. Plane crash kills half the team and they don't have a winning season. BUT NO EXCUSES!

I've seen the same Prescott for 32 games. One that can't make all the throws, can't see the field, needs to be carried by others around him. I want a franchise QB.

I see some risk that Prescott won't be the franchise Quarterback we need. Maybe 20% chance. I also say there's a 30% chance he's a guy who will be in pro bowls. Your Prescott views are a wall of hate...but do keep us all amused.

It wasn't a secret plan to stockpile comp picks.
That absolutely was the plan, and I'll tell you why I know. The baseball community, which has gone highly sabermetric, has eschewed free agents--because the research says they usually don't work out. You overpay for aging players who are declining and more injury prone. The template now in baseball is to go youth, youth, youth. Wanna know who attends--and has been a speaker--at some of those sabrmetric seminars? Stephen Jones. They've said it 100 times but you refuse to listen...the team values draft picks far more than free agency.

Yes, shambles. That's an accurate description for the current state of the offense minus the RB and the OL. The QB, WRs and TE position is in shambles. 100%. I couldn't be more accurate about that.
We need a tight end and should look, IMO, to replace Dez. We can do that this offseason. Dak was great last year when Dez was out. We do that and this offense will go right back to elite--which it was, you fail to acknowledge--a yards and points leader in the first 24 games of Dak's career.

I will be disappointed if Dez and Witten are on the roster next season. I'll admit that much.

Last edited: