State of the Franchise

T-RO

Reaction score
This is an extremely silly comparison you're making.

Landry started with an expansion team, and Jimmy Johnson had to purge the entire roster and start over. That obviously affected their career win %. And neither of those applied to Garrett.

And of course the elephant in the room is the postseason results, which were slightly different between Garrett on one hand, and Landry and Johnson on the other. That being the only thing that ultimately matters for a coach's legacy, of course. Unless we're fitting Marvin Lewis for a Hall of Fame jacket...

Not silly at all. I would never suggest that Garrett and Landry belong in the same sentence. That said, Landry operated under one of the most brilliant GM s in history and had a huge advantage with that.

Jimmy Johnson meanwhile enjoyed Jerry's ability to out-spend all other owners (no cap) and though he arrived to a bad team...the Cowboys turned that bad team and the salvage sale into a massive bounty of draft picks. Jimmy won big--but he was working w/ an insane amount of talent--including 3 hall-of-famers.

As for Garrett's post-season results. Yes! We need to see them--and fast--or I'm 100% for his replacement.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
That’s why you don’t assess a coach based on one year. You look at the body of work. The body of work here is seven years, two playoff appearances, and one playoff win. Let’s be honest. If, after 2010, I’d stated Garrett would have all of one playoff win going into his eighth season, I probably would’ve been accused of trolling.

Like I’ve said in the past, it’s fine to like Garrett. It’s fine to want to retain him as head coach. But let’s not act like the empirical evidence points to him being a good coach. Now, it’s fine to believe he’ll improve on his current record, that his story has not yet been told. But, again, let’s not pretend the belief is based on anything other than the hope of what may come rather than the reality of what is.
Nice post. I am now absolutely ready to move on from Garrett as I was with Romo after 2012. It's not personal, it's business.

T-RO

Reaction score
If you are implying a comparison to those two coaches with this one, you are beyond optimistic. You left out Parcells record.

Parcells had a .569 career winning percentage.

So Garrett/Marinelli/Linehan as a trio have a higher winning percentage than Jimmy, Bill P...and virtually the same as Landry.

Yet some fans here have convinced themselves these coaches are some huge failure. Gimmie a break.

I bet you whine about your cel phones too. ("They can't even do VR like an HTC Vive, what a piece of junk!")

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Accountability is definitely a manly/human attribute that we all need in our lives. And it's appropriate to apply to our football teams. To be accountable one needs sound criteria and accurate data.

The Cowboys coaches trio Garrett/Linehan/Marinelli have been together four seasons. Their record in that time is 38-26!

That translates to a winning percentage of .594...a very strong mark. That is a tiny tick below Tom Landry (.601) and better than Jimmy Johnson (.555).

The current Cowboys coaching group is accountable...and they are delivering.

And again, you feel that this selective set of statistics is OK? That the careers of other coaches should be measured against the very best of Garrett's career? That's "fair" in your mind? That sounds like the opposite of holding someone "accountable" or "delivering".

We can all think of ways they can improve (and have differing opinions about that) and we can all say the last season was a bit disappointing. I'm far more disappointed by Goodell and the injury realities.

We can agree that last season was disappointing, though we may differ on how much was or wasn't caused by Goodell or injuries and how much was the result of inadequate coaching.

Big_D

Reaction score

So Garrett/Marinelli/Linehan as a trio have a higher winning percentage than Jimmy, Bill P...and virtually the same as Landry.

Yet some fans here have convinced themselves these coaches are some huge failure. Gimmie a break.

I bet you whine about your cel phones too. ("They can't even do VR like an HTC Vive, what a piece of junk!")

Garretts is less than Parcells and that's 8 seasons compared to 19. LOL Not even half way there and still less. Bill Parcells after his first 8 seasons had 2 championships and a 611 win %. There is zero comparison between the 2 coaches. The fact that they are coaches is really the only thing you can compare. After that it goes down hill for Garrett.

T-RO

Reaction score
And again, you feel that this selective set of statistics is OK? That the careers of other coaches should be measured against the very best of Garrett's career? That's "fair" in your mind? That sounds like the opposite of holding someone "accountable" or "delivering".

Huh? I gave the last 4 years with deliberation and precision, as it cleanly reflects what the three coaches have done together. In reality, Marinelli and Linehan have more important roles than Garrett. Garrett doesn't determine that much. No head coach has lighter responsibilities than he has--that's just how it works in Dallas.

Four years. No small sample sizes. No cherry picking.

I could have polished the narrative to convey how over the past 4 seasons the Cowboys had to navigate Romo's bad back and a switch to a new QB...or how we endured 2015 w/virtually no real quarterback. But the coaching trio have posted a great W-L mark despite the QB transition that buries many franchises.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? I gave the last 4 years with deliberation and precision, as it cleanly reflects what the three coaches have done together. In reality, Marinelli and Linehan have more important roles than Garrett. Garrett doesn't determine that much. No head coach has lighter responsibilities than he has--that's just how it works in Dallas.

Four years. No small sample sizes. No cherry picking.

How many years has Garrett been this team's head coach? 4 years or 7 years? Yeah, it's cherry picking.

And then you want to compare these 4 years to other coaches career numbers? Yeah, that's cooking the books if ever I saw it.

I could have polished the narrative to convey how over the past 4 seasons the Cowboys had to navigate Romo's bad back and a switch to a new QB...or how we endured 2015 w/virtually no real quarterback. But the coaching trio have posted a great W-L mark despite the QB transition that buries many franchises.

It's amazing to see the lengths to which you will go. You should apply for a job with Cowboys P.R.

T-RO

Reaction score
Is Red still coaching? Nothing positive to say then.

OK. I guess you won't be posting anymore then. Or will you you just like wallowing in self-proclaimed misery?
How many years has Garrett been this team's head coach? 4 years or 7 years? Yeah, it's cherry picking.

Facts are facts. Nearly a 60% winning percentage. I'm not the one doing the gymnastics and spin-mistering. I clearly explained....Garrett is a very misguided focal point around here. He has a title but little else. The only way to meaningfully evaluate is to judge the trio.

And the trio is winning.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
OK. I guess you won't be posting anymore then. Or will you you just like wallowing in self-proclaimed misery?

Facts are facts. Nearly a 60% winning percentage. I'm not the one doing the gymnastics and spin-mistering. I clearly explained....Garrett is a very misguided focal point around here. He has a title but little else. The only way to evaluate is to judge the trio.

And the trio is winning.

Lol, had over 20 years of misery so use to it by now.

T-RO

Reaction score
If things are so dour...how many here are willing to bet we'll be looking at a losing season in 2018...or an average season (8-8)... or even a repeat of 9-7?

I bet not many (if any).

You all know it's winning time...you just wanna fuss.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Facts are facts. Nearly a 60% winning percentage. I'm not the one doing the gymnastics and spin-mistering. I clearly explained....Garrett is a very misguided focal point around here. He has a title but little else. The only way to evaluate is to judge the trio.

And the trio is winning.

"Facts" are obviously being twisted.

You are precisely "doing the gymnastics", you inexplicably think that it's a fair comparison to cherry pick four years of Garrett and compare it to other coaches' career numbers. The definition of apples to oranges.

You're not fooling anyone but yourself with this stuff.

T-RO

Reaction score
"Facts" are obviously being twisted.

You are precisely "doing the gymnastics", you inexplicably think that it's a fair comparison to cherry pick four years of Garrett and compare it to other coaches' career numbers. The definition of apples to oranges.

You're not fooling anyone but yourself with this stuff.

I said *explicitly* I wasn't trying to compare Garrett with someone like Landry. Go back and read it. I was merely pointing out--by way of comparison--how really well these 3 coaches are rolling.

I don't give a flying rat's posterior about Garrett. I would have been fine if Red was canned this month...and I'll be rooting or his replacement if he can't deliver with a talented roster next season.

But the negativity is absurd. This coaching group is doing well and should be applauded for what they are doing on the whole.

Like anyone I can point to some areas where I think they whiffed and need to improve.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said *explicitly* I wasn't trying to compare Garrett with someone like Landry. Go back and read it. I was merely pointing out--by way of comparison--how really well these 3 coaches are rolling.

I don't give a flying rat's posterior about Garrett. I would have been fine if Red was canned this month...and I'll be rooting or his replacement if he can't deliver with a talented roster next season.

But the negativity is absurd. This coaching group is doing well and should be applauded for what they are doing on the whole.

Like anyone I can point to some areas where I think they whiffed and need to improve.

Great, so I guess then it's simply an argument over the level of negativity that would be "acceptable" in your own personal opinion.

That's the line of thinking that's "absurd".

dallasdave

Reaction score
This season was hijacked by Goodell......it was an anomaly

We are in a strong position going forward

We have 50m in cap space and 10 Draft picks

We are young and talented at QB, RB, DB and DL and strong at OL, TE, LB and ST

Re-sign DLaw, D Irving, Cooper and Hitchens
Sign Poe, Moncrief and TRawls
Trade for EThomas
Draft BPA
Get the OL and the RB back to the prior years

T-RO

Reaction score
Get the OL and the RB back to the prior years

Yup. No reason the offense can't do what it did in '16, with an elite ranking. Collins is really shaping into a force, so if we can get a little stability at guard we'll be fine.

Zeke will be in "Feed-Me" mode.

Gameover

Reaction score
Positives: I think Taco is going to be a monster next season. The secondary is going to be even better. I think we'll have at least one new wr to go along w more snaps for Switzer

Negatives: Tyron smith. I'm not a fan of Collins. Ultimately the OL we'll keep us from being a deep playoff threat

TWOK11

Reaction score
I just pray above all else, they don't win.

I could not accept that.

But for some strange reason, I bet Jerry Jones could accept that.

The question is, if Dallas wins a SB with Garrett/Jerry would your anger over being wrong override any enjoyment you may otherwise feel?

Sydla

Reaction score

Garrett has two playoff appearances in 7 years and one playoff win.

By no logical measure can someone conclude that this has been a successful run.