State of the Franchise

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
22-10 isn't failure. Sorry you don't get that.

Our fandom is a part of our lives. Being a whiny fan isn't a good look and it's bad for digestion.

26-22 is failure. Sorry you don't get that. Or, in fact, you try to hide from it. Really "manly".

Being a whiny excusemaker isn't a good look either.

Maybe you were unaware, but being critical isn't being "negative" any more than covering one's eyes to issues is "positive" rather than naive.

In fact, accountability is a positive thing:

In sum, people who engage in accountable behaviors find the solutions to move themselves and their organization in a positive direction. ... Accountability is a personal choice that requires each person to accept their circumstances and to find ways to improve that circumstance in a positive way.
Jun 27, 2017

Embracing the Three Attributes of Accountability - Journal of ...
JEMS.com › ems-insider › articles › july

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At a minimum, good coaches make the playoffs on a consistent basis, at least in my opinion. The NFL playoffs are a single elimination tournament; ergo, the odds of any one team winning the Super Bowl in a given year, even the best team in the league, are slim. Bad calls and fluky hail Mary’s happen every year. That’s why it is so important to make the playoffs as consistently as you can. Winning one Super Bowl isnt a one year goal. It’s a seven or eight year goal after youre good enough to start making the playoffs consistently.
While making the playoffs should be the goal every year I'm just not sure how many coaches have done so consistently.
No one is denying Belicheck is special. But you aren't going to always have a Hall of fame caliber coach.

There is also some luck there.
Jimmy Johnson made the playoffs 6 of 9 years in the NFL.
But in his final 4 seasons he never own more than 10 games and made the playoffs twice at 9-7.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
While making the playoffs should be the goal every year I'm just not sure how many coaches have done so consistently.
No one is denying Belicheck is special. But you aren't going to always have a Hall of fame caliber coach.

There is also some luck there.
Jimmy Johnson made the playoffs 6 of 9 years in the NFL.
But in his final 4 seasons he never own more than 10 games and made the playoffs twice at 9-7.

It’s a testament to how difficult it is to find good coaching. Guys like Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick and even Pete Carol don’t grow on trees. That’s why there’s so much turnover in the coaching profession from year to year. It’s also important to be patient with a new hire. However, after seven years, you’re starting to push it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The franchise is in a state of flux and has been for many years. It is a locally owned and operated family run business and with that comes warts.

Fans are not whiny for calling it as they see it just as I would not call an overly optimistic one a rose tinted glasses fan. Some see what they see and some see what they want to see and what others see seems to bother them.

Approaching life in an optimistic and positive manner is preferable to being negative. That is, the part of life we control. Being negative or optimistic over things we have no control over is nothing more than observation and has 0 effect on the outcome.

Booger is going to run this team as he wants and that's the only reality I know about the Cowboys. The best I can hope for, as a fan, is that he and his clan get lucky. Because they've already proven they're not good. In this case, lucky beats being good.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It’s fairly obvious 22 years hasn’t been long enough for Cowboy fans to give up hope. Maybe 30 or 40 years will be? We still have 2 generation of fans who hold our championship pedigree as the bar here.

Hope Is really all we have in our current situation. That’s the mentality of a mediocre/ dormant franchise which is what we’ve become regardless of our history or popularity holding out for a glimmer of hope or luck, maybe a miracle. Welcome to the 21st Century Dallas Cowboys!
Interesting that fans think winning is a pre-requisite for following the team.
Those fans are long gone.

Fans that are left have suffered a lot, most notably the Dave Campo era.
And those fans realize this has the makings of a very good young team.

But you are certainly most welcome to adopt a winning team year to year.

RomoFor6

Reaction score
I'll never be hopeful going into a season unless

A) Jerry Jones croaks
B) Jerry Jones is mentally incapable of running a team
C) Red Head is fired.

Until any of those happen, nothing will change. Just look at what the piece of garbage owner said today. Garrett is not on the hot seat? Really? **** yoursef you old ****

Diehardblues

Reaction score
26-22 is failure. Sorry you don't get that. Or, in fact, you try to hide from it. Really "manly".

Maybe you were unaware, but being critical isn't being "negative" any more than covering one's eyes to issues is "positive" rather than naive.

In sum, people who engage in accountable behaviors find the solutions to move themselves and their organization in a positive direction. ... Accountability is a personal choice that requires each person to accept their circumstances and to find ways to improve that circumstance in a positive way.
Jun 27, 2017

22-11. It’s not failure or success. It’s average or mediocre like most of the teams in the NFL. We aren’t an elite football franchise anymore.

And Jerry has placed himself in a position where he doesn’t have to held accountable for the results of his football team with all of the revenue streams he’s generated so all of those normal principles we have to throw out the window.

This is what we’re left with unfortunately.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It’s a testament to how difficult it is to find good coaching. Guys like Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick and even Pete Carol don’t grow on trees. That’s why there’s so much turnover in the coaching profession from year to year. It’s also important to be patient with a new hire. However, after seven years, you’re starting to push it.
I am not a big Garrett fan. He doesn't really inspire confidence to ever overachieve to me BUT I will wholeheartedly defend him for THIS overall season.
The challenges faced were real and many. 9-7 was not a terrible year. It simply wasn't good enough to make the playoffs.
But you really can not point to a single top 10 Cowboy and say wow that guy had a great 16 games here in 2017.
Dallas had more suspension games missed than all the playoff NFC teams combined.
And of course the best player on each side of the ball was injured.
And broke in how many new starters? Dallas actually rebuilt the secondary this year on the fly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
22-11. It’s not failure or success. It’s average or mediocre like most of the teams in the NFL. We aren’t an elite football franchise anymore.

And Jerry has placed himself in a position where he doesn’t have to held accountable for the results of his football team with all of the revenue streams he’s generated so all of those normal principles we have to throw out the window.

This is what we’re left with unfortunately.
22-11 is not average or mediocre.
Are you that bad at math? lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Interesting that fans think winning is a pre-requisite for following the team.
Those fans are long gone.

Fans that are left have suffered a lot, most notably the Dave Campo era.
And those fans realize this has the makings of a very good young team.

But you are certainly most welcome to adopt a winning team year to year.
Correct. Winning just makes it more fun. Hence my screen name . Diehard with the blues.

I’ve been a Baylor fan all of my life as well with 4 generations have graduated there in our family . It’s a dormant/ mediocre type atmosphere and your mentality is different. It’s prepared me for this down era.

Dad taught me at an early age. “ it’s easy to root for a winner but builds character rooting for a loser”.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
22-11 is not average or mediocre.
Are you that bad at math? lol.
Your right. I was thinking of Garretts overall record 67-53 which .558 winning percentage is what I’d define as average or mediocre or just above average . But your point is taken. Thanks

Last edited:

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Here is where the Cowboys sit:

-They have are 22-10 over the past two season.
-The Boys sit with one of the younger teams in the league. Lots of players are just entering their prime years.
-We aren't cap rich, but we probably sit better w/the cap than in previous years
-Final payment on Romo ($9 mil) will be paid soon
-We draft close to the middle of the first round, not at the end of rounds
-We have 3 bonus draft picks acquired because of prudent thinking in last season's free agency
-The secondary is looking really promising
-We have one of the best pass rushers in the game
-Zeke has no more suspensions hanging

If folks can't find a few positives to talk about...they are running from them because of their own bad attitude.

TRO that is a very good assessment of all the positives, but should it also include some of the opportunities.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Your right. I was thinking of Garretts overall record 67-53 which .558 winning percentage is what I’d define as average or mediocre or just above average . But your point is taken. Thanks
:)
Dave Campo was 5-11 every year, that's essentially the inverse of 22-11.

When we say for instance 10-6 is mediocre or median or average we have to accept that 6-10 is the same.
So I just say bollocks to that:)

Now where the issues lie: 0 playoff wins in 3 years and 1 playoff win in 4 years.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Everybody is down now but of course coming close to the season people will be saying sb like they always do.

Big_D

Reaction score
The team is young and there are some good players with positive attributes, but coaching and management are a negative that never seem to go away. Tough to escape that or be hopeful of a championship run. I don't see a team good enough to overcome that.

T-RO

Reaction score

Jun 27, 2017

Accountability is definitely a manly/human attribute that we all need in our lives. And it's appropriate to apply to our football teams. To be accountable one needs sound criteria and accurate data.

The Cowboys coaches trio Garrett/Linehan/Marinelli have been together four seasons. Their record in that time is 38-26!

That translates to a winning percentage of .594...a very strong mark. That is a tiny tick below Tom Landry (.601) and better than Jimmy Johnson (.555).

The current Cowboys coaching group is accountable...and they are delivering.

We can all think of ways they can improve (and have differing opinions about that) and we can all say the last season was a bit disappointing. I'm far more disappointed by Goodell and the injury realities.

sean10mm

Reaction score
That translates to a winning percentage of .594...a very strong mark. That is a tiny tick below Tom Landry (.601) and better than Jimmy Johnson (.555).

This is an extremely silly comparison you're making.

Landry started with an expansion team, and Jimmy Johnson had to purge the entire roster and start over. That obviously affected their career win %. And neither of those applied to Garrett.

And of course the elephant in the room is the postseason results, which were slightly different between Garrett on one hand, and Landry and Johnson on the other. That being the only thing that ultimately matters for a coach's legacy, of course. Unless we're fitting Marvin Lewis for a Hall of Fame jacket...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Accountability is definitely a manly/human attribute that we all need in our lives. And it's appropriate to apply to our football teams. To be accountable one needs sound criteria and accurate data.

The Cowboys coaches trio Garrett/Linehan/Marinelli have been together four seasons. Their record in that time is 38-26!

The current Cowboys coaching group is accountable...and they are delivering.

We can all think of ways they can improve (and have differing opinions about that) and we can all say the last season was a bit disappointing. I'm far more disappointed by Goodell and the injury realities.
HC's are not weighed and measured by their overall record but by their playoff record. Landry had an expansion team and you left out 20 winning seasons in a row and Johnson took over a total rebuild. If you are implying a comparison to those two coaches with this one, you are beyond optimistic. You left out Parcells record.

They are accountable to Booger and he has a very low threshold when they fit his requirements of stay out of the way when he is in the spotlight.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I am not a big Garrett fan. He doesn't really inspire confidence to ever overachieve to me BUT I will wholeheartedly defend him for THIS overall season.
The challenges faced were real and many. 9-7 was not a terrible year. It simply wasn't good enough to make the playoffs.
But you really can not point to a single top 10 Cowboy and say wow that guy had a great 16 games here in 2017.
Dallas had more suspension games missed than all the playoff NFC teams combined.
And of course the best player on each side of the ball was injured.
And broke in how many new starters? Dallas actually rebuilt the secondary this year on the fly.

That’s why you don’t assess a coach based on one year. You look at the body of work. The body of work here is seven years, two playoff appearances, and one playoff win. Let’s be honest. If, after 2010, I’d stated Garrett would have all of one playoff win going into his eighth season, I probably would’ve been accused of trolling.

Like I’ve said in the past, it’s fine to like Garrett. It’s fine to want to retain him as head coach. But let’s not act like the empirical evidence points to him being a good coach. Now, it’s fine to believe he’ll improve on his current record, that his story has not yet been told. But, again, let’s not pretend the belief is based on anything other than the hope of what may come rather than the reality of what is.