Stats Dak vs Wentz

HungryLion

Reaction score
True, that 16 game stretch started with the Chaz Green debacle in Atlanta where he gave up 736 sacks in one half (or 5, I don't remember) and ended when Amari Cooper came on board. Dak did have issues with pressing when he felt pressure but he improved on it, plus many young QBs never get over that.

IMO the sacks last season were 50% on the OL, 25% on Linehan and 25% on Dak.

It’s amazing how people seem to forget how much that game affected Dak. It really took him a while to recover from it.

I actually remember the “hangin with the boyz” podcast the day after and Nate Newton saying that I can’t let a young QB take a beating like that because it can have lasting affects on them.

People also forget that before that game, Dak and the offense was rolling. Dak’s YPA wasn’t very high. But he actually was tied with Carson Wentz for most touchdowns in the NFL before that Atlanta game (if you include dak’s Rushing td’s).

Now, none of that is an excuse for long term failure. But Dak definitely turned a corner last year and finally showed signs of learning and moving on from that experience.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
They're both still young in their careers. If you put away your Cowboys homerism, you'd see that Wentz has more to prove. He was selected #2 overall and got outplayed by a backup who went on to win the Super Bowl. He pretty much needs to win one (maybe two) Super Bowls to get the Nick Foles monkey off his back. Meanwhile, Dak is a 4th round QB who exceeded expectations. He'll catch a lot of flack simply for being the QB of the Cowboys.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m not convinced that Dak has pocket awareness issues.
Behind one of the best OLs in history, Aikman took tons of sacks and big hits because he often held the ball too long, held it to the very last second trying to make a play. Romo, behind a weak OL for many years, fumbled quite a bit and later, behind better OLs, took career ending hits because he refused to throw the ball away, always wanting to make a play.

Dak holds the ball too long at times. He doesn’t want to give up on a play, especially a third down play. He takes sacks when he should throw the ball away (Aikman), and he fumbles because he has the athletic ability to hold the ball too long and then try to run last second instead of throwing it away or taking the sack (young Romo). Haters....please note I didn’t compare Dak to either QBs top traits, only to issues they had at times when they wouldn’t give up on a play or possession. Both Aikman and Romo improved at giving up on a possession to live another series, and both cut down on turnovers later in careers.

Dak needs to be more aware of ball security and field position when he holds the ball too long trying to make a play. With experience, young QBs learn to just give up on a play or series with throw-aways and check downs that drive some fans crazy on third down. Dak must get better in this area, and he probably will.

Sydla

Reaction score
These are career stats for Dak and Wentz.

Projected means the stats are scaled to 16 games (i.e. If Wentz had played 16 games per season)

Regular Season Games Played

Wentz 40 of 48
Dak 48 of 48

Playoff Games Played
Wentz 0 of 5
Dak 3 of 3

The following are regular season only unless otherwise noted:

Win - Loss
Wentz 23 - 17
Dak 32 - 16

Projected Win – Loss
Wentz 28 – 20
Dak 32 - 16

Win %
Wentz 57.5
Dak 66.7

Yards/Completion
Wentz 11.0
Dak 11.2 (12.03 in playoffs)

Yards/Attempt
Wentz 7.0
Dak 7.4 ( 7.71 in playoffs)

Completion Percentage
Wentz 63.7
Dak 66.1 (64.08 in playoffs)

Passing TD/Att
Wentz 4.8
Dak 4.5 (4.9 in playoffs)

Total TD (Pass and Run)
Wentz 72.0
Dak 85.0 (7 in playoffs)

Int%
Wentz 1.9
Dak 1.7 (1.9 in playoffs)

Projected Int

Wentz 32.8
Dak 25.0

Rating
Wentz 94.5
Dak 96.1 (95.7 in playoffs)

QBR
Wentz 63.8
Dak 69.0

Fumbles Per Game Played
Wentz 0.80
Dak 0.52

Fumbles Lost Per Game Played
Wentz 0.30
Dak 0.27

Dak is better in all of these stats except Passing TDs per passing attempt (Dak's playoff TDs/Att is better than Wentz regular season TDs/Att).

The problem with this is that the numbers is there is no trend here. Dak’s best season was his rookie year. He’s not played as well since then (note I am not saying he’s played bad since then - just that his rookie year was his best season to date). Wentz’s worst year was his rookie year.

That’s not an argument for Wentz being better. It’s just a reality of the analysis. At this part it’s hard to really judge.

This year could be the year one separates from the other, especially if Wentz can’t stay healthy.

Last edited:

EGTuna

Reaction score
One thing that needs to continue to be looked at, is that recent reports say that Wentz still isn’t fully healed from the stress fractures in his back.

I’m no doctor, so I don’t know what the timetable is on an injury like that, but it’s certainly worth keeping an eye on. Back injuries are super tricky.

He may end up being just fine. But he wouldn’t be the first player to be de-railed by recurring back issues either, should that happen.

This should be Philly's biggest worry. Back issues rarely (if ever?) fully go away for any player in any sport. Off the top of my head, look at Romo, Aikman, Jake Plummer, Steve Nash, Larry Bird, Alonzo Mourning (might have that one wrong), and even Tiger Woods, who took forever to come back from back issues (among other things) and that is in a non-contact sport. Steve Kerr as a coach couldn't even coach with back issues for a while in 2016.

Of course Wentz is young, and maybe he'll recover fully, but you add a back injury to his other injuries, and as you age it's rare things get better vs. getting slowly (or quickly) worse.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This should be Philly's biggest worry. Back issues rarely (if ever?) fully go away for any player in any sport. Off the top of my head, look at Romo, Aikman, Jake Plummer, Steve Nash, Larry Bird, Alonzo Mourning (might have that one wrong), and even Tiger Woods, who took forever to come back from back issues (among other things) and that is in a non-contact sport. Steve Kerr as a coach couldn't even coach with back issues for a while in 2016.

Of course Wentz is young, and maybe he'll recover fully, but you add a back injury to his other injuries, and as you age it's rare things get better vs. getting slowly (or quickly) worse.

There have been QBs who have played with worse injuries - pretty sure Drew Brees shoulder is pretty much duct taped.

EGTuna

Reaction score
There have been QBs who have played with worse injuries - pretty sure Drew Brees shoulder is pretty much duct taped.

Fair point. Brees also never misses games. He's missed 1 game due to injury since 2004.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Projected means the stats are scaled to 16 games (i.e. If Wentz had played 16 games per season)

Wentz 40 of 48
Dak 48 of 48

Playoff Games Played
Wentz 0 of 5
Dak 3 of 3

Win - Loss
Wentz 23 - 17
Dak 32 - 16

Projected Win – Loss
Wentz 28 – 20
Dak 32 - 16

Win %
Wentz 57.5
Dak 66.7

Yards/Completion
Wentz 11.0

Yards/Attempt
Wentz 7.0

Completion Percentage
Wentz 63.7

Passing TD/Att
Wentz 4.8

Total TD (Pass and Run)
Wentz 72.0
Dak 85.0 (7 in playoffs)

Int%
Wentz 1.9

Projected Int

Wentz 32.8
Dak 25.0

Rating
Wentz 94.5

QBR
Wentz 63.8
Dak 69.0

Fumbles Per Game Played
Wentz 0.80
Dak 0.52

Wentz 0.30
Dak 0.27

Dak is better in all of these stats except Passing TDs per passing attempt (Dak's playoff TDs/Att is better than Wentz regular season TDs/Att).

Where are you getting your QBR numbers?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score

And yet, if they were both being drafted today, Wentz would absolutely go in front of Dak again.

There's a reason for that.

(nice compilation of stats BTW)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And yet, if they were both being drafted today, Wentz would absolutely go in front of Dak again.

There's a reason for that.

(nice compilation of stats BTW)

Vince Young went in the 1st sometimes the reason does not pan out

HungryLion

Reaction score
The problem with this is that the numbers is there is no trend here. Dak’s best season was his rookie year. He’s not played as well since then (note I am not saying he’s played bad since then - just that his rookie year was his best season to date). Wentz’s worst year was his rookie year.

That’s not an argument for Wentz being better. It’s just a reality of the analysis. At this part it’s hard to really judge.

This year could be the year one separates from the other, especially if Wentz can’t stay healthy.

This is only true if you are solely looking at total seasons and not breaking down trends within the season. Dak was struggling mightily the second half of 2017 and first half of 2018. He then was playing much better again the last 8 games of 2018 plus the playoffs. Probably just as well as he played as a rookie, if not even better in some regards.

You’re right that Wentz is trending upward. Other than his injuries which is the primary concern.

Dak started out hot, then regressed and struggled and then started to improve again back to previous levels of not better. A diff ent trajectory to be sure. But I do think it’s not that weird for a young QB to go into a slump. Just like it isn’t strange for a rookie QB to struggle (Wentz)

Grevus

Reaction score
Really don't care who is better. Two different styles of QB and offensive schemes.

All that matters is, can your QB can be clutch when you need him, stay healthy, learn from his mistakes and ultimately win the SB? Is you answer no to any of these or you think it's no, they he's not the franchise QB you need. .IMO I think Dak is a solid QB that will eventually take us to a SB. Wentz may become the great QB they already say he is, but it really doesn't matter if he can't stay healthy and on the field.

WeaponX

Reaction score

Wentz 40 of 48
Dak 48 of 48

Playoff Games Played
Wentz 0 of 5
Dak 3 of 3

Win - Loss
Wentz 23 - 17
Dak 32 - 16

Projected Win – Loss
Wentz 28 – 20
Dak 32 - 16

Win %
Wentz 57.5
Dak 66.7

Yards/Completion
Wentz 11.0

Yards/Attempt
Wentz 7.0

Completion Percentage
Wentz 63.7

Passing TD/Att
Wentz 4.8

Total TD (Pass and Run)
Wentz 72.0
Dak 85.0 (7 in playoffs)

Int%
Wentz 1.9

Projected Int

Wentz 32.8
Dak 25.0

Rating
Wentz 94.5

QBR
Wentz 63.8
Dak 69.0

Fumbles Per Game Played
Wentz 0.80
Dak 0.52

Wentz 0.30
Dak 0.27

I see you projected Wentz’ interceptions but not his TDS. Is there a particular reason why?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It’s an insecurity. Why bother making these threads if you think Dak is clearly better? Where are the Zeke vs Jordan Howard threads?

The irony is you won’t find a single Dak thread on the eagles board. Or th Nobody has him as a top 10 qb but you guys.

He had an outstanding 70% completion percentage this last year DESPITE improving his yards per attempt over his 2017 mvp attempt. I think he was better last year
The "irony" is, you, yourself started a Dak thread on the EMB yesterday.