Stats: QBs down 1 score - 7 mins remaining

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So I take it you don't like context on stats? When it doesn't serve your agenda?

Yes..I get it. Cool.
ok, so next somebody will say last 8 minutes, somebody will say last 6 minutes, somebody will say 12 minute mark of 3rd quarter to 2 minute mark of 3rd quarter.

anybody can create a context....31 years old, 7 minutes left....seriously...

but you know what, in this day and age of internet and twitter (now X), it gives people a forum and creates discussion (and more ads!!!)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have not looked through all the posts yet. But all this tells me is Dak had the Cowboys in the lead more times than not. So he did not have to be in this situation as often.
Which is far better than being behind at that time. And why 7 minutes? How does this change at 5 minutes? Or 4:37 left.

Creeper

Reaction score
I'd like to know what data was used to come up with this list. How do you put Jordan Love on the list when he has played basically 1 year? There should be a minimum of 3 years played or some number of games played. How many times have each of these QBs been in this situation? How many times did they succeed? Who did they succeed against?

In 2023, GB, for example, had 12 one score games. They won 6 of them. I didn't look at how many of those they were behind and won. Dallas had only 4 one score games. They won 2. They lost to Miami 22-20 but Dak threw a TD pass with 3:12 left in the game to take a 1 pt lead. The defense gave up the last second FG. I assume that's a win for Dak?

I just don't know how much credibility to give this list. I think if you asked who would you want as your QB with 7 minutes left down by 1 score, almost everyone would pick Mahomes. How many would put Andy Dalton above Justin Herbert or Aaron Rodgers? Carson Wentz over Kirk Cousins or Dak?

EGTuna

Reaction score
7 minutes is a very arbitrary number. As several have mentioned, the #1 choice for any “which qb would you want?” Question is of course Mahomes. Whether it’s 7 minutes left or 7 seconds.

pansophy

Reaction score
I mean they don't really say what the criteria for success is either. I mean we could score to go up and our defense could go ahead and give up 7 points right after. So is 'success' here that the QB puts us ahead, or that we go on to win the game.

ICP

Reaction score
I shared this with a friend of mine and this was his response:

"There's another way you can look at that list of clutch QB's though...
The Boys are rarely in that situation of ONLY being down by one score. They're either smashing someone. Or getting smashed."

I told him it's too bad they only smash the bad teams

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jimmy G is higher than Mahomes. This post is challenged lol.
Well, the writer did go for a particular scenario, down one score with seven minutes left. That gives you plenty of time and if your team can put together a time-consuming drive, it would leave little time for the other team to respond. So I would think this scenario would favor teams with a strong running game and perhaps a strong defense, if the team ends up scoring quickly, to make the lead stand.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, the writer did go for a particular scenario, down one score with seven minutes left. That gives you plenty of time and if your team can put together a time-consuming drive, it would leave little time for the other team to respond. So I would think this scenario would favor teams with a strong running game and perhaps a strong defense, if the team ends up scoring quickly, to make the lead stand.
I would agree until you see how high guys like Matt Ryan and Burrow who aren’t known for running games.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FWIW, Dak is 9th in EPA if you just use 4th quarter and OT since 2019 including all playoff games.

That is about the low end of where he projects as an overall QB by anyone with a brain.

Dallas has won 12 games per year, 3 years in a row. Dak has obviously been part of a high performing offense under multiple schemes/coaches/playcallers.
It's also obvious he hasn't gotten over the hump and beaten an elite defense when it matters most.
We really don't need 4 million more threads to explain that.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This list is stoopid. Like if a guy only faced this scenario 5 times and converted 4 of them he's "bettter" than a guy who did it 19 out of 28? One guy is being carried by his team for the most part and never having to come back while the other guy is being asked to carry his team. Totally apples to kiwi fruit!

The fun part is a post just came out yesterday showing Dak second only to Mahomes in another clutch stat. It's like these haters immediately felt the need to comb the internet looking for something to counter anything positive we see about Dak. That's a weird way to go through life man.