Staubach: There’s accuracy issues but Dak’s gonna continue to be a great quarterback **merged**

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He is the same tier as Eli. The only thing that will put Eli in the Hall and keep romo out is that Eli has two super bowl rings. If their roles were reversed and Eli was our QB and Romo was the Giants, I think it would be Romo who would have two super bowl rings and go into the Hall.
I can agree with you on that. I think Romo was slightly better than Eli. What really makes Eli as a QB is his ability to stay healthy.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
room didnt play at all his first 3 years wasn't active 03-04 and 05 the backup and didnt see a snap..he was gone 3 full years for injurys he Started 8 years that it so that all you can use for stats, the dude could sling it , is simply a better passer then Dak..I said I like Dak I hope he develops even more and becomes great but look again those stats are real averaged over 8 years they are very impressive

Dak has potential for sure, but potential has to be proven, Romo did it already..again im not knocking Dak but if we are comparing QBs im sorry at this point ROMO was better..

I know there are sides im not taking sides I loved Romo, I like dak and hope he continues to get better.

BTW you are insane if you didnt think Romo was mobile the difference is hes mobile in way to actually move within the pocket especially climb it and always looking to make plays downfield, not turn 180 degrees tuck and blindly run which most has turned into 10yard loss sacks..thats the part of Daks game that needs to grow,.Tony had great pocket presence, he felt things coming and navigated the pocket..
You are making my points for me. Romo didn't even play because he wasn't good enough yet. He sat and developed for years before he got his start. Dak didn't have the luxury of sitting and learning. Again you are still comparing the finished product of Romo compared to a developing Dak. Dak has a higher ceiling and more potential than Romo, question will be if he gets the coaching to reach that potential.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Imagine having accuracy issues and completing 67% of your passes. And having less off target throw % than top guys like Rodgers or Brady(who seemingly do no wrong compared to lowly dak)

Once he “fixes” his accuracy issues and gets over 70%... wonder what the next narrative will be.

There's more to accuracy than just raw completion percentage. You throw enough passes short and utilize the RB as much as we do in the passing game, you are always going to have a high completion percentage no matter how accurate a thrower you really are.

blumayne38

Reaction score
There's more to accuracy than just raw completion percentage. You throw enough passes short and utilize the RB as much as we do in the passing game, you are always going to have a high completion percentage no matter how accurate a thrower you really are.
:clap:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Imagine having accuracy issues and completing 67% of your passes. And having less off target throw % than top guys like Rodgers or Brady(who seemingly do no wrong compared to lowly dak)

Once he “fixes” his accuracy issues and gets over 70%... wonder what the next narrative will be.

When the majority of your passes only go 4-8 yards you should complete 67% of them
You are making my points for me. Romo didn't even play because he wasn't good enough yet. He sat and developed for years before he got his start. Dak didn't have the luxury of sitting and learning. Again you are still comparing the finished product of Romo compared to a developing Dak. Dak has a higher ceiling and more potential than Romo, question will be if he gets the coaching to reach that potential.

Romo didn't play because Parcells was his coach and he liked to take his time with guys any other coach and Romo probably would have been starting alot earlier, all you have to do is look at the fact that when Sean Peyton left he offerred a 2nd round pick for Romo, it was so he could make him the starter in NO and in my opinion Dak got way more experience starting as a rookie and playing 48 games as a starter over his 1st 3 seasons than Romo ever got playing a little in preseason and running the scout teams in practice. You can't really think that Romo doing nothing his 1st 3 years but running a scout team was as valuable as Dak's 48 starts from a rookie to now? There is really nothing that can substitute for actually game experience

While i'm at it the one things that bugs me the most about Parcellls (and yes i think he is a great coach) is that he spent all that time "developing " Romo only to stick around for about 9 games with him as his starter. Parcells quit on the Cowboys and Romo at the end, think of what we might have done with Parcells as our coach in 2007 instead of Wade

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So if he doesn't reach his potential it's because of coaching? Oh good, then there's no chance of ever looking back and saying he just wasn't as good as we thought.

I really hope he becomes a great QB for us, but having excuses already in place, just in case doesn't seem like confidence.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
When the majority of your passes only go 4-8 yards you should complete 67% of them

Romo didn't play because Parcells was his coach and he liked to take his time with guys any other coach and Romo probably would have been starting alot earlier, all you have to do is look at the fact that when Sean Peyton left he offerred a 2nd round pick for Romo, it was so he could make him the starter in NO and in my opinion Dak got way more experience starting as a rookie and playing 48 games as a starter over his 1st 3 seasons than Romo ever got playing a little in preseason and running the scout teams in practice. You can't really think that Romo doing nothing his 1st 3 years but running a scout team was as valuable as Dak's 48 starts from a rookie to now? There is really nothing that can substitute for actually game experience

While i'm at it the one things that bugs me the most about Parcellls (and yes i think he is a great coach) is that he spent all that time "developing " Romo only to stick around for about 9 games with him as his starter. Parcells quit on the Cowboys and Romo at the end, think of what we might have done with Parcells as our coach in 2007 instead of Wade
Romo had Sean Payton and Parcells........Dak has Garrett and Moore. Yes sitting and learning from Payton and Parcells for years is better than getting thrown in to a system not built for you.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I can agree with you on that. I think Romo was slightly better than Eli. What really makes Eli as a QB is his ability to stay healthy.

Not sure if any quarterback would've stayed healthy at the low point of our line. But Romo being fragile later on his career is a point I always admitted to. In any case, I think he would've been retired by now and Dak in by now.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Romo did not sit because he wasn’t good enough, he sat because he played under an old school coach who would rather shoot himself than not play one of his veterans. By your brain dead logic, if two QBs hadn’t got hurt in the preseason then Dak to this day might not even be good enough to play in the NFL when we know that is false.

Dak has a far lower ceiling than Romo did, and has an even lower potential. You’re running out of time with your lame “sitting and learning” excuse now that Dak has 3 full seasons under his belt. Try another excuse, crybaby troll.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo had Sean Payton and Parcells........Dak has Garrett and Moore. Yes sitting and learning from Payton and Parcells for years is better than getting thrown in to a system not built for you.

Give me a break, your trying to tell me that you think Romo learned more sitting on the sidelines as a 3rd string QB for his 1st 3 years (not even dressing for games in his 1st 2) and as the backup starting his 4th year than what Dak learned starting 48 games in the NFL? OK LOL. Romo was more of a rookie making his 1st start in his 4th season than Dak was starting his 2nd season, the thing is Romo just had more talent than Dak has

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo did not sit because he wasn’t good enough, he sat because he played under an old school coach who would rather shoot himself than not play one of his veterans. By your brain dead logic, if two QBs hadn’t got hurt in the preseason then Dak to this day might not even be good enough to play in the NFL when we know that is false.

Dak has a far lower ceiling than Romo did, and has an even lower potential. You’re running out of time with your lame “sitting and learning” excuse now that Dak has 3 full seasons under his belt. Try another excuse, crybaby troll.

Exactly

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Give me a break, your trying to tell me that you think Romo learned more sitting on the sidelines as a 3rd string QB for his 1st 3 years (not even dressing for games in his 1st 2) and as the backup starting his 4th year than what Dak learned starting 48 games in the NFL? OK LOL. Romo was more of a rookie making his 1st start in his 4th season than Dak was starting his 2nd season, the thing is Romo just had more talent than Dak has
It’s a common Dak slobberer myth that the backup QB gets to attend an exclusive QB academy and that Parcells spent valuable time that could have gone into the game plan teaching Tony how to throw a football. In reality, nobody cares about the backup QBs during the week, they get virtually no reps and when the season is started every single second of the week is spent on getting the players who are actually going to play ready. Heck in Romo’s first season be wasn’t even on the active roster and the coaches likely didn’t even think about him once during the entire season. Some “advantage”.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Brady has averaged 27 TDs per season...

Sure, if you include his rookie season where he attempted 3 passes and the 2008 season
where he suffered a season ending knee injury in the first half of the season opener in KC,
he averages 27 tds a year. Otherwise, it's 30 tds a year in 17 seasons.

He's had 12 seasons with 28 or more tds.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Not sure if any quarterback would've stayed healthy at the low point of our line. But Romo being fragile later on his career is a point I always admitted to. In any case, I think he would've been retired by now and Dak in by now.
I think Dak could have benefited from sitting behind Romo for a year or two. It didn't happen though and right now I'm ok with where Dak is in his development. I think that week 17 was a huge boost to his confidence and he will carry that over to this year.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That's not true at all but way too down play Dak and over rate Romo

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It’s absolutely true and you’ve done nothing to refute it. I hereby authorize you to crawl back under whatever rock you reside under.
Time’s up for the sitting and learning excuse Dak slobberers!

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s a common Dak slobberer myth that the backup QB gets to attend an exclusive QB academy and that Parcells spent valuable time that could have gone into the game plan teaching Tony how to throw a football. In reality, nobody cares about the backup QBs during the week, they get virtually no reps and when the season is started every single second of the week is spent on getting the players who are actually going to play ready. Heck in Romo’s first season be wasn’t even on the active roster and the coaches likely didn’t even think about him once during the entire season. Some “advantage”.

And he wasn't even the backup his 1st 3 seasons

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
And he wasn't even the backup his 1st 3 seasons
He was definitely the backup in 2005... didn’t they only have 2 QBs on the roster for the season? 2003 he was not active for any games and 2004 I believe it was either never clear or always changing who was the backup between him and Henson.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

Of course it's true unless of course you want to try and make the argument that Cooper Rush now having completed his 2nd year as the Cowboy backup has gained more experience doing that than Rookie Baker Mayfield did starting for the Browns this season

Maybe the Browns will trade him to us for Cooper and then we can keep Mayfield as the starter and make Dak his backup