Steelers' Ryan Clark says he'd lay out T.O. if given chance

Route 66

Reaction score
Hope this isn't a duplicate thread. If so, please explode it. :)

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2008/12/steelers-clar-1.html

Steelers' Clark says he'd make the same hit on T.O.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark has a message for Cowboys WR Terrell Owens: You could be next.

Just days after the NFL cleared him of wrongdoing in a hard hit that knocked Patriots WR Wes Welker out of last Sunday's game, Clark said he'd make the same hit on the Cowboys' top receiver if he has the chance.

"I try to hit everybody," Clark told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I don't care which one. I'll take them all, I don't turn any of them down. We're just going to go out there and play.

"If that opportunity presents itself [against Owens], of course you take that shot. But if you have to tackle him by his shoestring, I'll take that one too, as long as he gets to the ground."

Clark was not fined or flagged for the hit on Welker. The NFL said the hit was within the rules as Clark did not lead with his helmet.

Owens waved off Clark's message when approached by the Dallas Morning News.

"I don't worry about it," Owens said. "I've got a helmet, too."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Good for him. He should feel that way. The question is, can he do it? We have guys who can lay him out too.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
I have not issues with this statement, it's his job to hit/tackle him. I expect there will be some head hunting across the middle this week (on both sides).

What I don't get though with this hit last week and no fine...this is basically the same hit that Woodson made on that poor guy from Seattle a few years back. And I recall the reasoning for the 75K fine was that he left his feet and hit a defenseless receiver.

Was that correct, or am I remembering it wrong?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Rowdy;2462288 said:
Just days after the NFL cleared him of wrongdoing in a hard hit that knocked Patriots WR Wes Welker out of last Sunday's game, Clark said he'd make the same hit on the Cowboys' top receiver if he has the chance.Owens waved off Clark's message when approached by the Dallas Morning News.

I'd take a dump in the front seat of Ryan Clark's car if given the chance.

Sadly, that opportunity probably won't come up.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wes Welker - 5'9" 185 lbs.
Terrell Owens - 6'3" 218 lbs.

Not saying that Clark won't try, but if he believes that hitting Owens is the same as hitting Welker, he's only fooling himself. Polamalu will be more of a threat to Owens than Clark in the punishing hits department.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
So he laid out Welker who weighs what, 120 lbs, and he's all froggy now thinking he's going to do the same thing to T.O.? :laugh2:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
This guy sucks. He can't cover, just like the rest of their slow secondary.

Jason Witten will light this guy up.

Randy Moss torched this guy last year after he ran his yap. Isn't this the big mouth that Moss torched.

He's really brave, just like that coward Hines Ward. That little troll just runs around trying to sucker punch people.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I thought the rule was you couldn't kill the receivers if they were defenseless. Welker sure looked defenseless on that hit. The inconsistency within the league office is a huge bunch of bull crap.

superpunk

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2462307 said:
Who's Ryan Clark?
He's the NFL's next big hitter, apparently.

I know because Sportscenter made an enormous deal out of him laying out Wes the Midget Welker.

Somehow it isn't mentioned that the week before I think Yeremiah Bell laid just as devastating a hit on Welker, although I could be mistaken about which secondary player for the Dolphins it was.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was an awesome hit on Welker. I'd try to do it to TO, too, if I could.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
NP. Bring it on. Sounds like someone likes to lay the wood. Gotta love it.

And I do agree that Welker was helpless. But the hit was legal otherwise. Hey, it's football. If the bigger guys kill you....hit'em back.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Hopefully when he blitz he can hit Bigg and see how that goes.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Gotta love when a player says something like this.... then NOTHING happens. He cant actually get it done.

:laugh2:

All he has done is put a target on his back for the ref's.

Gracias

adamknite

Reaction score
Paniolo22;2462347 said:
I thought the rule was you couldn't kill the receivers if they were defenseless. Welker sure looked defenseless on that hit. The inconsistency within the league office is a huge bunch of bull crap.

1996 NFL Rule Changes and Clarifications

• Instant replay will be tested during the preseason in the nationally televised games. Three sideline variations will be tested, with the on-field officials reviewing the play -- no pressbox official. Each head coach was given a red flag to throw to indicate he wanted the play reviewed (max two reviews per half). The only plays subject to review are:
    1. Scoring plays.
    2. Sideline/end zone plays.
    3. Number of players on the field.
  • The five-yard contact rule will be enforced more stringently.
  • Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
announcer: Terrell has caught the ball, utto looks like clark is gonna lay the wood....

**zoom in on field**

Owens is running straight towards clark...Clark leaps with shoulders first to lay the wood...Owens side steps clark for a 66 yard touchdown!

barber will just pimp slap this guy to the side

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;2462308 said:
Wes Welker - 5'9" 185 lbs.
Terrell Owens - 6'3" 218 lbs.

Not saying that Clark won't try, but if he believes that hitting Owens is the same as hitting Welker, he's only fooling himself. Polamalu will be more of a threat to Owens than Clark in the punishing hits department.

That's what I was thinking. I hope TO gives him a Hines Ward type shot.

newera

Reaction score
41gy#;2462346 said:
This guy sucks. He can't cover, just like the rest of their slow secondary.

Jason Witten will light this guy up.

Randy Moss torched this guy last year after he ran his yap. Isn't this the big mouth that Moss torched.

He's really brave, just like that coward Hines Ward. That little troll just runs around trying to sucker punch people.

As far as him running his mouth last year, i believe that you are thinking of anthony smith.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142456

DWaremvp08

Reaction score
Ryan Clark is a top 10 FS in the NFL. The Steelers dont have the best defense since the 70s statistically (yards per play) for no reason. Their entire secondary is good. Taylor and Polamalu are both very fast, same with McFadden. Gay and Clark are both sure tacklers and cerebral players.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
DWaremvp08;2462410 said:
Ryan Clark is a top 10 FS in the NFL. The Steelers dont have the best defense since the 70s statistically (yards per play) for no reason. Their entire secondary is good. Taylor and Polamalu are both very fast, same with McFadden. Gay and Clark are both sure tacklers and cerebral players.

What does that mean? There's 2 or 3 really good free safeties then everyone else is just average.