Stephen addresses the thought of Will McClay as future GM

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on VP of player personnel Will McClay staying in Dallas: “It’s something that comes up every year because obviously he’s a guy who does an amazing job for us. … Obviously we think the world of Will. Always want him to be a Cowboy, but everything is always a work in progress.

“We’d love for Will to be here as long as we can keep him here.”

Any chance they eventually give him a different title (like GM)?

“I’m not into titles or anything like that. I’ve never been a title guy. We’re just gonna keep doing what we do, it’s working.”

Sounds like a lot of platitudes but nothing else than tha.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
That didn't sound like a ringing endorsement of Will, it sounded more like an ignorant comment from a grown man who is sans clue about what Will means to this team, and could care less about whether or not he stays...not sure why anybody expects anything different from father and son

rags747

Reaction score
The people who like titles are the same people who tape their name to their stapler!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When you top the Forbes list of most valuable sports franchises, you have reached the pinnacle of all accolades. Why mess with that? All other awards and trophies are just symptoms of that success.
They're the most valuable sports entertainment franchise in the world, and have been for at least 5 years.
That's the title they're interested in.
They're not football players.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s interesting because these are the exact some comments I would make to women I was seeing when I was in my young 20’s. “I’ve never been into titles. Let’s just keep doing what we are doing. It’s working”

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If I was the most unqualified person in the NFL to have the job I have I wouldn't be into titles either.
Most unqualified? I’m no fan of the Jones’ but the man now has 30 years of experience. You can argue all day about the results and nepotism if you want but he may in fact be one of the most qualified men in the entire NFL due to his experience.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well Stephen, since the salary cap era nothing you guys are doing has worked. Your job is to manage the cap and personnel and you've been failing at it for 27 years. Only reason you don't look as bad is cause McClay covers up a lot of your ineptitude.
It’s mostly been the coaching which the Jones are fully responsible for. Just look at the list of coaches since Jimmy. Even Parcells at the end of his career was a bad hire. The game had passed him by.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s mostly been the coaching which the Jones are fully responsible for. Just look at the list of coaches since Jimmy. Even Parcells at the end of his career was a bad hire. The game had passed him by.
The is no escaping the self destruct job the Jones clan has done to this franchise post Jimmy. It's embarrassing!!!!!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They're not football guys.
Not football guys? Both played college football. Stephen was a 4 year letterman at Arkansas and started at LB in the Orange Bowl following the 86 season. He has been in an NFL front office for 30 or so years now. That sounds like a football guy to me. Argue all you want that if daddy didn’t own the team he would have been fire long ago but saying Jerry and Stephen aren’t football guys is ridiculous.