Stephen addresses the thought of Will McClay as future GM

1942willys

Reaction score
Stephen Jones played football throughout junior high, high school, and was a 4-year letterman in college playing linebacker for the Arkansas Razorbacks. 9 months after he graduated with a degree in chemical engineering, one of the most difficult engineering degrees to get, his father bought the Cowboys. He started working for the Cowboys front office immediately.

If a guy comes out of college, and then works for the next 35 years at the top levels of NFL management, then by definition, he’s a football guy, just as much as any NFL coach or front office person who worked his entire adult life in the NFL.

To say Stephen Jones is not a football guy defies logic and facts. It’s just ignorant. You don’t have to like Stephen Jones. But denying he’s a football guy just makes you look stupid.

(Tom Landry also had an engineering degree, and he was a pretty decent football guy.)
WORKS AT THE TOP LEVEL RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE
and then YOU wonder why those kinds of remarks make people laugh at you?

1942willys

Reaction score
Will McClay becomes the GM only when they pry that position from Jerry Jones cold dead hands

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Stephen Jones played football throughout junior high, high school, and was a 4-year letterman in college playing linebacker for the Arkansas Razorbacks. 9 months after he graduated with a degree in chemical engineering, one of the most difficult engineering degrees to get, his father bought the Cowboys. He started working for the Cowboys front office immediately.

If a guy comes out of college, and then works for the next 35 years at the top levels of NFL management, then by definition, he’s a football guy, just as much as any NFL coach or front office person who worked his entire adult life in the NFL.

To say Stephen Jones is not a football guy defies logic and facts. It’s just ignorant. You don’t have to like Stephen Jones. But denying he’s a football guy just makes you look stupid.

(Tom Landry also had an engineering degree, and he was a pretty decent football guy.)
Well in all due respect to you, that is a pretty impressive resume for him you have posted. I do have two serious questions for you though: If Jerry didn't own the team, do you honestly think Jr would have a job? Two, I am Canadian so bare with me about what a 4 year letterman in college means? And with him being a LB? If we use your presumed logic of him being a successfl one, then why on earth is our history at this position over the last few years so awful? Serious questions...and in the not so serious hater mode I am accused of being in, looks like all his Engineering degree taught him to do was to turn off the lights to pinch pennies

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on VP of player personnel Will McClay staying in Dallas: “It’s something that comes up every year because obviously he’s a guy who does an amazing job for us. … Obviously we think the world of Will. Always want him to be a Cowboy, but everything is always a work in progress.

“We’d love for Will to be here as long as we can keep him here.”

Any chance they eventually give him a different title (like GM)?

“I’m not into titles or anything like that. I’ve never been a title guy. We’re just gonna keep doing what we do, it’s working.”

It’s amazing how ignorant they assume we all are.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Will McClay becomes the GM only when they pry that position from Jerry Jones cold dead hands
Nah, Stephen becomes the GM then. Like father, like son. The Cowboys are a family business, first and foremost.

Soth

Reaction score
This is a very disrespectful and ignorant comment by Stephen Jones.
100% Agree.

"Titles don't matter to me! Everything is working great." What a clown.

They must be paying McClay a ton of money. I don't know how else he puts up with this nonsense.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Stephen, none of your kids ever witnessed a NFCC game and certainly not a Cowboys Super Bowl, and you think it's working? Yes we continue to support this trash.

CCBoy

Reaction score
100% Agree.

"Titles don't matter to me! Everything is working great." What a clown.

They must be paying McClay a ton of money. I don't know how else he puts up with this nonsense.
It could easily boil down to organizational pride and not on site whipping boy excuses. Save the chest bumps and round of beers...

I heard Freddie Fender in our unit pub stationed in Germany...and Hulk Hogan was walking around smiling before George Bush saw us off from Baumholder.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
So mcclay whiffed on the entire 2023 class and has had very few players hit. What title should he have again?

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Ryan Fisher on Twitter said this, "CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER / EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT / DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL, Stephen Jones said this?"
Hahaha.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
McClay is getting paid without the pressure why would he leave?

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
McClay should get the f*** out of Dallas as soon as he can. Even if it's not for a GM position, just RUN