Stephen addresses the thought of Will McClay as future GM

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t like titles either. Can I oversee the cheerleaders aspect? Just call me Nelson, keep it simple :muttley:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a very disrespectful and ignorant comment by Stephen Jones.

Of course it is easy to not be a "title guy" when you are at the top.

I mean, if he's not a "title guy" then why not give McClay the GM title since it does not matter to him.
Not up to him....it's Jerry's call. McClay gets paid handsomely. If he wanted the title he would have left a long time ago.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
McClay signed a huge contract extension in 2022, and doesn't seem to have any interest in leaving the Cowboys. I don't understand why so many "fans" are hung up on McClay having the title of GM, as if that would mean any less involvement from the Jones family.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The gall to say it's working.

You should be livid.
I think he is telling the truth. The business model is making the playoffs routinely. Postseason success not needed. Just get in.

It’s not nearly as hard to make the playoffs. As long as the team consistently wins against the worst squads and takes very few, if any, big risks that could lead to full scale rebuild-the model works. It’s not a model that leads to championships. If you think that is in their business model, you drowned in koolaid a long time ago.

starman22

Reaction score
With all this success, no sense in fixing what isn't broken.
I would generally like to agree with your sarcasm, I find this team is starting to give me hope again that we can make it this year. I haven't felt that in quite a while. If they fail to deliver, I reserve the right to go back to expecting them figure out a way to lose a game instead figuring out a way to win a game when it really matters.

starman22

Reaction score
When you top the Forbes list of most valuable sports franchises, you have reached the pinnacle of all accolades. Why mess with that? All other awards and trophies are just symptoms of that success.
You articulated this better than I could have, but I agree 100%.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
God is there anyone more worthless in an NFL front office then Stephen Jones.
If I hated the ownership of the this football team as much as some of you guys do I think I would just go root for another team it would make life easier. Life's too short.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
If I hated the ownership of the this football team as much as some of you guys do I think I would just go root for another team it would make life easier. Life's too short.
Well good thing you aren't me then.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Y’all can cry and moan all you want about ownership but WM is free to leave whenever he chooses and he is still here. So maybe he is not concerned with name titles as well.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Stephen Jones comment about not being a title guy is pretty messed up. Maybe he should give the title position of owner to someone in the office who wouldn't mind it since its just a title!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on VP of player personnel Will McClay staying in Dallas: “It’s something that comes up every year because obviously he’s a guy who does an amazing job for us. … Obviously we think the world of Will. Always want him to be a Cowboy, but everything is always a work in progress.

“We’d love for Will to be here as long as we can keep him here.”

Any chance they eventually give him a different title (like GM)?

“I’m not into titles or anything like that. I’ve never been a title guy. We’re just gonna keep doing what we do, it’s working.”

in another words, it's not happening captain