Stephen addresses the thought of Will McClay as future GM

Rock423

Reaction score
God is there anyone more worthless in an NFL front office then Stephen Jones.
So he’s worthless? He’s the cap guy. Is that not an important role in this organization? Dallas doesn’t lose players they WANT. I would think that Stephen is sort of responsible for managing that.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
So he’s worthless? He’s the cap guy. Is that not an important role in this organization? Dallas doesn’t lose players they WANT. I would think that Stephen is sort of responsible for managing that.
Been working our great right? Rinse and repeat every year with the guys they take on their yatch. No free agents to put them over the top because their 8-8 roster is enough to put arses in the seats.

Rock423

Reaction score
Been working our great right? Rinse and repeat every year with the guys they take on their yatch. No free agents to put them over the top because their 8-8 roster is enough to put arses in the seats.
You can complain about season results. Bottom line is he keeps talent here. All that other stuff is just that stuff.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Freedom Plaza has a protest going...

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is a very disrespectful and ignorant comment by Stephen Jones.

Of course it is easy to not be a "title guy" when you are at the top.

I mean, if he's not a "title guy" then why not give McClay the GM title since it does not matter to him.
Not at all...and is not the call of any fan as well. The corporation is formed upon the foundation to protect controls of ownership and final says. Another format is not on the table. That doesn't mean a fully functional position is then an insult. No it doesn't as that is not the contract that was offered or lack of appreciation of function given by the organization as a role. He's paid top dollar. Even Bill Parcells as a GM was enough given conditions. Conditions in a period are more relevant than preferred candidate. What just happened to Bellichick? Or the other recent Coaches with similar powers?

This fan doesn't brow beat with organization standards...GO COWBOYS!

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Stephen Jones played football throughout junior high, high school, and was a 4-year letterman in college playing linebacker for the Arkansas Razorbacks. 9 months after he graduated with a degree in chemical engineering, one of the most difficult engineering degrees to get, his father bought the Cowboys. He started working for the Cowboys front office immediately.

If a guy comes out of college, and then works for the next 35 years at the top levels of NFL management, then by definition, he’s a football guy, just as much as any NFL coach or front office person who worked his entire adult life in the NFL.

To say Stephen Jones is not a football guy defies logic and facts. It’s just ignorant. You don’t have to like Stephen Jones. But denying he’s a football guy just makes you look stupid.

(Tom Landry also had an engineering degree, and he was a pretty decent football guy.)

JayFord

Reaction score
Will McClay is the GM...thats why they keep him year after year

i doubt Jerry is doing GM work

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Will McClay is the GM...thats why they keep him year after year

i doubt Jerry is doing GM work
Stephen carries at least 1/2 of the normal duties of the GM - negotiating contracts and managing the salary CAP. Will McClay handles the other 1/2 - running the scouting department and identifying players. This includes scouting other NFL teams, and evaluating the Cowboys players.

Both men report to Jerry. Just as in most corporations, the top guy relies heavily on his immediate staff to provide details which inform the decisions made. Coach McCarthy is the 3rd leg of team management that reports to Jerry. He runs the team day-to-day. Jerry gives a whole lot of power to his triumvirate of team managers of Stephen, Will, and Mike. He doesn’t make decisions in a vacuum. And he doesn’t make them alone. That he reserves the right to make the final approval is no different than Jack Welch reserving the right to make the final decisions for GE when he was their CEO.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Work in progress? What a stupid comment. Stephen is towering pile of steamy…

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
“I’m not into titles or anything like that. I’ve never been a title guy. We’re just gonna keep doing what we do, it’s working.”
How many titles does this fraud and his dad have? May I present the "not title guys" Jones family.

3HbVvUX.jpg

dsu6zO7.jpg

f4lJiZq.jpg

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think he is telling the truth. The business model is making the playoffs routinely. Postseason success not needed. Just get in.

It’s not nearly as hard to make the playoffs. As long as the team consistently wins against the worst squads and takes very few, if any, big risks that could lead to full scale rebuild-the model works. It’s not a model that leads to championships. If you think that is in their business model, you drowned in koolaid a long time ago.
Truth, the last 28 years is good proof.
No NFCCG is the result of this flawed business model .

1942willys

Reaction score
Stephen carries at least 1/2 of the normal duties of the GM - negotiating contracts and managing the salary CAP. Will McClay handles the other 1/2 - running the scouting department and identifying players. This includes scouting other NFL teams, and evaluating the Cowboys players.

Both men report to Jerry. Just as in most corporations, the top guy relies heavily on his immediate staff to provide details which inform the decisions made. Coach McCarthy is the 3rd leg of team management that reports to Jerry. He runs the team day-to-day. Jerry gives a whole lot of power to his triumvirate of team managers of Stephen, Will, and Mike. He doesn’t make decisions in a vacuum. And he doesn’t make them alone. That he reserves the right to make the final approval is no different than Jack Welch reserving the right to make the final decisions for GE when he was their CEO.

Why is this so hard to understand?
Making excuses for 28 years of failure is easy for some people

Bottom line is that the son is a glorified accountant