Recap: Stephen and Dr. Chao on NFLN Radio

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're putting so much on Romo's willingness to go back into the game as an indicator of what is structurally wrong in his back.

Romo also said post game he didn't get X-rays because they didn't think it warranted it at the time. Following day they do run an MRI and discover his vertebrae was crushed/fractured. The vertebrae provides protection to the spinal cord. You don't wanna rush back when the bone is compromised ..

Because the guy played with a punctured lung.

He plays through injuries all the time. Telling him not to rush back is pointless because he will.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
so its Romos desire to extend plays that makes him more susceptible to these injuries? am i hearing this correctly?
what other QBs in NFL do this and how many injuries do they have? You know what I am getting at.

it seems Romo gets hurt more compared to other QBs so does Romo extend plays more than other QBs?

Shatz88

Reaction score
Steven mostly talked about confidence in Dak, but he also said Tony is 100% working toward getting back on the field. He talked about Zeke's physical play in Seattle and said he thinks the pass rush is going to be much better than people expect. The much more interesting segment came afterward with Dr. David Chao who explained that the difference between Tony's transverse process injury and the compression fracture he just suffered is that the former was painful because he broke exterior bones connected to muscle and that the latter takes more healing because a compression fracture is structural damage at the core of the spine. Kirwan asked about what we've all been assuming: Romo is 36 with a wife and two kids and a whole lot of life ahead of him. He needs to be thinking about retirement, right? The doctor said no more than any other football player. He said Tony is 36, which may be old in football years but not in human years, so Tony is not fragile and doesn't have brittle bones. He said He'll be able to go back to practice in a red jersey in a few weeks. He just can't take hits until six weeks or so, which is the general minimum amount of time it takes human bones to heal. He mentioned though that David Carr had the same injury some years ago and he was back on the field a lot sooner than six weeks.

Thanks for the recap. Really interesting to hear about David Carr coming back that soon with same injury. I wonder if Carr's age compared to Romo's will make a difference in healing?!

Aven8

Reaction score
I believe he was out three weeks but said it wasn't long enough. He said he couldn't get much velocity on the ball

3 weeks has him throwing the ball in between games 1 and 2.

Most sacked QB of his time and out only 3?

Crazy!

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I bet romo misses two games. three games maxs. I really believe he will be back sooner.
I'm picking four games missed because that gives him six full weeks for the bone to heal (seven weeks if you count the week leading up to game five). Hope I'm wrong and you're right!

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
David Chao is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine. He's the former team doctor for the Chargers. He does a weekly segment with Miller and Kirwan, I think.
You're correct. I like listening to him. He can relate on a layman's level.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I laugh at the whole brittle bones argument. The guy just had a part of his scapula/collarbone sawed off by a doctor. If he had brittle bones, I think that doctor would have figured it out and Romo would have retired.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
I laugh at the whole brittle bones argument. The guy just had a part of his scapula/collarbone sawed off by a doctor. If he had brittle bones, I think that doctor would have figured it out and Romo would have retired.

ok than. what is it? what makes Romo an outlier? is he an outlier?

i havent seen anyone discuss what makes Romo so special. Is he only one extending plays this much? If its a lack of support for romo (oline/defense) do other QBs who extend plays have good support or not and what is their injury frequency? wish i could see an article or a diagram on this but i havent heard anyone go in depth about it.

i come across a lot of folks saying Romo is injury prone. But than the counter is well not so from you all in this board. The counter to that is than what makes Romo different if its not his bones (which is logical by the way)?

i dont expect anyone to have a solution or answer to this. just would like some further dialogue on it if possible. as objective as possible.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
ok than. what is it? what makes Romo an outlier? is he an outlier?

i havent seen anyone discuss what makes Romo so special. Is he only one extending plays this much? If its a lack of support for romo (oline/defense) do other QBs who extend plays have good support or not and what is their injury frequency? wish i could see an article or a diagram on this but i havent heard anyone go in depth about it.

i come across a lot of folks saying Romo is injury prone. But than the counter is well not so from you all in this board. The counter to that is than what makes Romo different if its not his bones (which is logical by the way)?

i dont expect anyone to have a solution or answer to this. just would like some further dialogue on it if possible. as objective as possible.

A few things come to mind. Romo has taken hits that would be flagged on most every qb yet no flag. He has taken an unusual amount of hits where the defender lands directly on top of him with all their weight. QBs are not supposed to be driven into the ground yet it happens to Romo with no flag. The collarbone issues last year are totally on him. Both resulted from him spinning away from a defender way too late, getting caught in the side, and extending his arm out to break his fall while the defender lands on top of him. Many of the others come down to plain bad luck. The latest falls in that category. I've never seen a qb go to slide and get bent over and driven into the ground. Of course again no flag.

Bluefin

Reaction score

Per Mickey Spagnola, the fracture in Tony Romo's L1 vertebrae is so small, it wasn't detected with a x-ray and only showed up on the MRI.

That said, it still has to heal, but I'll take a small back fracture over a large one every time.

RS12

Reaction score
Last edited:

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Carr went back into that game and finished it. Then he was out for 3 weeks and came back to play. He was playing for the panthers, Delhomme was done for the season

Oh yes, that's another thing he said. If Delhomme was available he wouldn't have cone back so soon. More evidence imo how fast he comes back will have a direct correlation to how we start the season.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
so its Romos desire to extend plays that makes him more susceptible to these injuries? am i hearing this correctly?
what other QBs in NFL do this and how many injuries do they have? You know what I am getting at.

it seems Romo gets hurt more compared to other QBs so does Romo extend plays more than other QBs?

Sometimes you are just unlucky. In all my years watching football I've never seen a player take a hit like he took last week.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

I've seen at least three people here make the comment that there are "tired of his act". I've never seen a player that has done what he's done for us get disrespected so much