Twitter: Stephen doesn't anticipate moving up on Day 2

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
So, he's basically saying because we paid a good QB all time great QB money we have to rely on low priced rookies in the draft?

Ahh, remind me why this organization has done nothing in a quarter of a century....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typical of some fans on here. They stay to their draft plan, and will not move up. And people whine. They can get as good of players without trading up.
And if they did trade up, then the same ones would whine they got fleeced or took the wrong player, gave up too much. :laugh:

it would cost us one of the 3rd round picks and our 2nd to move up. Not worth it.
We can get 4 quality players by staying put.

Mannix

Reaction score
-----I have never hated a owner more than Stephen Jones.

Ditto....I actually think we are in MORE trouble when Booger cashes it in.

conner01

Reaction score
Passive drafting has never worked for anyone. But, we have the laziest FO in the NFL so should we expect anything less?
I get being passive if you have a bunch of holes but honestly we need about 5 guys
Those 5 can make this draft if we get the right 5
Samuels
Barmore
Moehrig
Would all be cowboys and I don’t care what it cost in picks this year except for one of the 3rds
I’d go all in to get those guys and with parsons and our 3rd we’d have 5 players
But 5 players who can help this team
I’d even use a future day two pick if I had to

lk8701

Reaction score
Well, let's hope "staying put" means as much tomorrow, as "passing on those who opted out" meant today. Seriously, trade up with the Jets at 34. With 44 and 99, it matches the trade chart, and we get either JOK or Moehrig. Worth it, easily!

Agreed. JOK would fill a lot of wholes. If the Cowboys don't excercise LVE's option after next season: 9 M savings Cut Jaylon after next season: 6.8 M dead cap. 5 M savings. Neal is on a 1 year 5M deal so he would at least want that much for re-signing. Probably more. That's another 5 M savings at minimum. JOK can compensate for all their departures. Total Savings for trading up for JOK: 19 M.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Stephen Jones could raise his IQ stock and leadership capability perception with one very simple move: Just be quiet Stephen. Close your mouth. Don’t answer that question. Let your actions do the talking.
This!! What him and his father consistently failed to do for many years.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get being passive if you have a bunch of holes but honestly we need about 5 guys
Those 5 can make this draft if we get the right 5
Samuels
Barmore
Moehrig
Would all be cowboys and I don’t care what it cost in picks this year except for one of the 3rds
I’d go all in to get those guys and with parsons and our 3rd we’d have 5 players
But 5 players who can help this team
I’d even use a future day two pick if I had to

And Stephen said he's not trading up today either. So, lets cross our fingers but I doubt Baremore , Samuels, or Moerig falls into our laps.

conner01

Reaction score
Typical of some fans on here. They stay to their draft plan, and will not move up. And people whine. They can get as good of players without trading up.
And if they did trade up, then the same ones would whine they got fleeced or took the wrong player, gave up too much. :laugh:

it would cost us one of the 3rd round picks and our 2nd to move up. Not worth it.
We can get 4 quality players by staying put.
Typically I agree
But I think CB will be gutted by the end of the second
I think I’d go all in to get the best cb left, best DT, and best safety
I’d hold one 3rd and trade the rest and even a day two pick next year to get it done
Moehrig
Samuels
Barmore
That’s greatly improved this defense with parsons

freemanjc19

Reaction score

The Cowboys head into the second and third round with four picks thanks to their trade with Philadelphia, but Stephen Jones did not anticipate moves up because the Cowboys need the low-cost picks considering some high-priced contracts. “We take a lot of pride in the way we’ve drafted over the last 10 years, but we put a lot of work in our board,” he said. “I think if we stick to all the work that we’ve put into it, we’re really going to get really good football players.”

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Good for them, they are learning to add tot he roster depth by letting the board come to them.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
Typically I agree
But I think CB will be gutted by the end of the second
I think I’d go all in to get the best cb left, best DT, and best safety
I’d hold one 3rd and trade the rest and even a day two pick next year to get it done
Moehrig
Samuels
Barmore
That’s greatly improved this defense with parsons

Thye will have to take a CB in the 2nd, if they want a corner that can start with minimal risk on he field.

conner01

Reaction score
And Stephen said he's not trading up today either. So, lets cross our fingers but I doubt Baremore , Samuels, or Moerig falls into our laps.
They won’t
You will have to go get them and it’s gonna take the rest of your picks and a second day pick next year to even have a chance of doing
But I’d be working on getting it done
If we draft 9-11 players this year we’ve burned a great opportunity

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They won’t
You will have to go get them and it’s gonna take the rest of your picks and a second day pick next year to even have a chance of doing
But I’d be working on getting it done
If we draft 9-11 players this year we’ve burned a great opportunity

We have an extra 3rd round pick. Thats all it should take to move up to the top of round 2.

conner01

Reaction score
Thye will have to take a CB in the 2nd, if they want a corner that can start with minimal risk on he field.
I don’t think they can wait till 44 either
I expect a run on CB
Teams see there isn’t the big pass rusher opportunity this year
If you can’t pressure you better cover

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'd like to see them try to move up. A Dallas Cowboy draft philosophy used to be drafting the best player of that position group. Well they checked the box on day one and took the best LB in the draft. Sitting here day two they have an opportunity to take the best safety in the draft too. Of course they could have Holland or Grant as the #1 safety on their board and they may be sitting there at 44 without having to move. Barmore could also conceivably be their #1 defensive tackle on the board.

conner01

Reaction score
We have an extra 3rd round pick. Thats all it should take to move up to the top of round 2.
We have 3
Ours, eagles and a comp
One of those moves you from 44 to near the top
But adding a second costs a lot more

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Have we not learned by now to take what JJ and SJ say considering the draft with a grain of salt? Didn't JJ just come out and say that opt out players are compromised? One could easily interpret this to mean that they may be steering clear of these players but yet they took Parsons.

Sydla

Reaction score

The Cowboys head into the second and third round with four picks thanks to their trade with Philadelphia, but Stephen Jones did not anticipate moves up because the Cowboys need the low-cost picks considering some high-priced contracts. “We take a lot of pride in the way we’ve drafted over the last 10 years, but we put a lot of work in our board,” he said. “I think if we stick to all the work that we’ve put into it, we’re really going to get really good football players.”

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

LOL.

So let me get this straight.

They'd rather get a bunch of cheap contract players in the 3rd round instead of using one of those 3rd round picks to move up and grab a player they really, really like in the 2nd?

After watching how they approach FA and the things they say around the draft, I become more confident they don't have a clue how to build a roster. They can accumulate players but I am not sure they have a vision on how to build a roster.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Sit n pick is how the Cowboys operate, and I can dig what Stephen is talking about. The defense needs an infusion of talent and depth, and picking 4 guys on day 2 is soild method to get that done.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sit n pick is how the Cowboys operate, and I can dig what Stephen is talking about. The defense needs an infusion of talent and depth, and picking 4 guys on day 2 is soild method to get that done.

Or picking three guys where one is a high 2nd round guy you went and grabbed because you think he is elite seems smarter than crossing your fingers and hoping a guy falls to you and when he doesn't just settle for a guy farther down on your board.

There is zero reason this team shouldn't be all in on moving up to get Moehrig for example.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Or picking three guys where one is a high 2nd round guy you went and grabbed because you think he is elite seems smarter than crossing your fingers and hoping a guy falls to you and when he doesn't just settle for a guy farther down on your board.

There is zero reason this team shouldn't be all in on moving up to get Moehrig for example.
You're coveting a player by how you see it, they probably have a different perspective than you. They may have Holland rated similar to Moehrig for instance, which, would make sense for them wait.