Twitter: Stephen Jones admits they would have reached for a cornerback had Horn or Surtain been there

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not weird at all...

CB is a premium position and linebacker isn’t.
Totally depends on the draft and players within it. This particular draft wasn't a deep draft on defense and we don't know where Parsons' stock would have been had he played. The Cowboys might not have even have had a shot at him because I can tell you he was a force in his last college year played.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Uh ah ah ah ah.

cordyceps1.jpg

I think Horne will be incredible.

Reaction score
When you take a lesser rated player on your board you are reaching for that player.
That depends on how much higher player A is rated over B and C.

If they are closely rated and B and C are much higher in the need area it's not a reach.

What's odd about that tweet is Stephen saying they would have taken a guy they had rated lower, as we hear yearly how every player they've taken over the years was always rated a lot higher than where they took him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is what I love about our dysfunctional ownership. They just can’t help but promote themselves divulging info most front offices never would.

But this shouldn’t surprise anyone as it’s what most of us thought going in. But amazing they feel the need to disclose. Just pitiful but laughable . Lol
I don’t see the harm. I appreciate the candor.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Horne will be incredible.
He and Surtain might be great and Parsons might be as well.

I still go back to what was the #1 problem with this defense? The run game. Show me the CB that solves that.

This is a guy playing the most exalted position at Penn State and he sets the freshman record for tackles and then leads the team the next season not being a starter in most games.

The Cowboys had needs at CB, DT, LB and S but the overriding need was to stop the run and no CB is going to fix that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, he counters his old man's comments after the draft with this? Booger was emphatic that it was Parsons, Parsons was always the guy and invited the questioner to come look at the board as proof.

This is typical BS from Porky, The Lucky Sperm, that if Parsons isn't the guy and one of those CB's shows up, they can play the same card Booger tried to play about Aaron Donald. "We would have taken Aaron Donald".

You have your pick rated as the best D player in the draft, for a team that was awful on defense, but you would have reached for CB's that went ahead of him? I don't think this clown could even afford to buy a ticket if he wasn't getting in with his old man.

You "Stephen's the savior" people better hope he goes toes up before his old man, he's a train wreck looking for a tunnel.
Despite the ridiculously dysfunctional spewing from our Idiot and Son it supports what many of our beat writers and fans were stating that the CB’s were our target initially.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I still go back to what was the #1 problem with this defense? The run game. Show me the CB that solves that.

This is a guy playing the most exalted position at Penn State and he sets the freshman record for tackles and then leads the team the next season not being a starter in most games.

The Cowboys had needs at CB, DT, LB and S but the overriding need was to stop the run and no CB is going to fix that.
Of course but all of that didn’t matter to our Idiot and Son.

Remember he’s a follow the ball GM.

But most gratifying in this ridiculous admission is it proves many of us were right. We had some pretty in depth discussions on this as some fans believed Parsons was their initial intention.

Trajan

Reaction score
Stephan - "Yea, we reached for our #1 pick, only took the loser since all the guys we wanted were off the board already.....but Parsons was our highest pick."

I'm going back to drinking, a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue a day seems to work for the Jones family, maybe I'll follow suit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cowboys had so many holes it almost didn’t matter. Cb is a premium position so horn would have been great.