Stephen Jones blames the salary cap for not pursuing Derrick Henry

tm1119

Reaction score
I agree with you, but Dak is not going to agree to a trade.
Yeah I don’t disagree. Only chance would be if Dak demands a trade and the Cowboys oblige and allow him to negotiate a contract extension with another team beforehand. And the list of teams looking to give up picks for the right to sign Dak to a mega long term deal?…slim to none. MAYBE the Raiders and that’s about it, and we’d end with nothing because they’d have no need to negotiate against themselves.

Again, the Jones’ backed themselves into a corner with no plan and no way out other than to extend Dak.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t disagree. Only chance would be if Dak demands a trade and the Cowboys oblige and allow him to negotiate a contract extension with another team beforehand. And the list of teams looking to give up picks for the right to sign Dak to a mega long term deal?…slim to none. MAYBE the Raiders and that’s about it, and we’d end with nothing because they’d have no need to negotiate against themselves.

Again, the Jones’ backed themselves into a corner with no plan and no way out other than to extend Dak.
There will be plenty next year. If we wanted to trade him it should have been before free agency started.

Question becomes can the Jones' properly extend Dak without a no trade clause? Give him a 2-3 year window and then trade hime to get some value back and time to develop his replacement.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

The Eagles figured out a way to sign Saquan Barkley. They have their QB signed to a massive deal. They have 2 -#1 WRs under long term contracts. They have a top 10 tight end signed. They have 3 extra picks in rounds 3-5 next year. And they just drafted the top 2 CBs in the draft. When was the last time you heard a team get the top 2 CBs in the same draft?

Wildcat711

Reaction score
I think its a lil odd he would say this bit....

" where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. "

Why "certainly" for Micah and CD.. why not "certainly" for Dak?

Maybe I am reading too much into the drivel Stephen spouts.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I remember when Steven would laugh when people mentioned salary cap, like it was not really even a thing. My how the tune has changed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

The cap is at fault? And who exactly allocates the cap money for the Cowboys?

:facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, Stephen, it is on the salary cap. Along w/ you and your Pappy's gross mismanagement thereof.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I have put up with Jones and Stephen to this point because of two things:
1. I'm too old and tired to "break in" another NFL franchise. Though I would have to admit since I'm only about 150 miles from Houston vs. Dallas it's crossed my mind to leave the Cowboys for the Texans. But I didn't just decide to be a Cowboys fan, it just happened, I'd have to quit watching the Cowboys and focus on the Texans, and I just couldn't do that.
2. Knowing Jerry has 12 years in age on me, odds are I'll outlive him, and once he's gone maybe things will get better.

However, this latest debacle has pushed me almost, ALMOST, to my limit. Pretty much guaranteed Stephen will take over after Jerry is gone, so again, with this latest development hope no. 2 has been nearly completely wiped out as well.

I will be watching this season, and the next, very closely. If Jerry signs Dak to another long-term deal, I am much afraid my time as a Cowboys fan will come to an end. Not a decision, at age 69, to take lightly of course. Houston may well become another 60's-70's Cowboys team or a 2000's-2010's Patriots team, one that can string together a long stretch of great football playing, with multiple championships or at least deep playoff runs. Or they may flame out as so many other promising teams have (1985 Bears, e.g.).

Bear with me on my journey through the next year or so....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Stephen always blames the cap when it's convenient for him to do so. Then, at other teams, he says that the team can move money around as needed. They have said this offseason that they don't value the RB position much right now, and that's why they didn't go after a player like Henry.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bunch of crybabies....around here

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It doesn’t get around the fact he signed a four year contract at $40 million AAV and Jerry Jones mismanaged a reasonable contract into the cap situation the Cowboys have now. Better managed the cap hit isn’t what it is. Poorly managed it is exactly what the Cowboys have. They’ve managed to spend $13 million on free agents this off season. The lowest in the NFL. The next lowest team has spent $32 million. Perhaps the Cowboys have no needs on their roster that require considering many free agents. Perhaps Jerry Jones is a genius and the other 31 teams are run by idiots. But Dak Prescott has nothing to do with the Cowboys’ cap situation. His $40 million per season deal is small compared to what other teams manage to pay their quarterbacks. Don’t scapegoat Prescott for this mess. For god’s sake the Chiefs have spent significantly more on free agents this off season than the Cowboys. They run a successful NFL franchise in the contemporary NFL. “We like our guys”… except when they want to be paid what they’re worth.
Where have i made prescott the scapegoat for it?