Stephen Jones blames the salary cap for not pursuing Derrick Henry

Beaker42

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

These ****** twits couldn’t run a popsicle stand let alone an NnFL franchise. I despise this entire front office and ownership.

ICP

Reaction score
Those two clowns like to blame everything but themselves

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And is this where once again I point out my criticisms of Dak and pretend we have not had this conversation before?
You mean the lip service, before deflecting blame then sure go for it.
What's happening (like it, or nor ....and I'm in the latter), the Jones are deliberately putting Dak in a position to fail as they know (as we do) he'll struggle with no running game.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I still go back to Jerry's post game. He just looked defeated. I can't figure out what his plan is, no, but it's like Jerry finally came to a conclusion regarding Dak. Maybe we'll resign him if he plays lights out in the playoffs this season, not sure.

The smart moves would be to take the cap hits and just move on, use 25 as a rebuilding year.
This is the "Battered Fan Syndrome" . . .

phildadon86

Reaction score
He was. Embarrassed, confused, just completely waffled as to what had just happened.

Maybe he's finally realized that "just pay them" is a bad way to do business in the NFL?
He wasnt embarassed enough to fire the coach who had our OL regress the worst I have seen in years in the run blocking area. And now, he is setting up the season as a throwaway year. Which is insane to me,.

BB must already have a deal in place if this year goes south. Its the only thing that makes sense.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You think that but seeing that I am one of the loudest about not giving him what he is asking for, it would be nonsense.

My take is nuanced. Yours is binary. How droll.
I must of missed your subtle nuanced take....what was your proposal/ceiling. You never know we may not be as far off as you seem to think.

triplets_93

Reaction score
You mean the lip service, before deflecting blame then sure go for it.
What's happening (like it, or nor ....and I'm in the latter), the Jones are deliberately putting Dak in a position to fail as they know (as we do) he'll struggle with no running game.
The "Dak failing the Playoffs" is the only fail I'm concerned about...
Dak is not, and has not, ever been an elite playoff QB.

Or will ever be... And that is my evaluation.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The "Dak failing the Playoffs" is the only fail I'm concerned about...
Dak is not, and has not, ever been an elite playoff QB.

Or will ever be... And that is my evaluation.
Peyton Manning was superb in the regular season but mediocre in the playoffs. His first ring came more from the D then him; his second came IN SPITE OF HIM.
But both times he had a D that just flat out kicked butt in the playoffs and all he had to be was a game manager. THAT is the only way Dak will ever get a ring. The D will have to flat out play lights out in the playoffs

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Those two clowns like to blame everything but themselves
It's the inference in what they say that's the worst part for me. Don't deflect blame onto not having a running game because of Micah, CeeDee and Dak, just manage the situation....pay or move on. The problem is Jerry can't evaluate and takes the lazy option of being 'friends of the stars' and down the road expects a loyalty bonus in return.
I'm convinced after giving in to all of Daks demands last time....there would be a loyalty bone in these negotiations.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

what a load of BS. total BS and if anyone is buying into it, is not very smart. if Stephen can't manage the cap, then give up the job. Looka t eagles and how many top 5,top 10 contracts they have handed out.

you are stupid Stephen or full of ****. there is no inbetween.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The whole Dak situation is holding everything back. They probably don't want to pay him. Otherwise it would have happened already. It is really odd.
its a fallacy. its the right move to not extend. but if Stephen is not able to redo several contracts to come up with another 5M, then he sucks at what he does.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Where have i made prescott the scapegoat for it?
There are a number that post here that believe Dak Prescott is a problem in a variety of ways. Glad you’re not one of them. Dak’s contract, while significant when he signed it, quickly became comparatively modest and the Cowboys mismanaged the contract. The irony of pinning playoff struggles on Dak is that sans Dak Prescott the Cowboys are not good enough to be in the playoffs. There’s a team right in the same division with the Cowboys that found out no matter how well your quarterback plays you can still fail to win the Super Bowl because a MVP candidate QB is simply not enough. All the Cowboys have is a great quarterback. And too many fans want him gone. Yes, this is the time of year for unwarranted optimism about your favorite NFL team. All 32 teams are getting that from their respective fans. But the notion that the reins should be handed to Cooper Rush because he played well in a reserve role some years ago or handed to Trey Lance who has not even done that is mindless optimism. NY Giants fans have more faith in Daniel Jones than Cowboys fans have in Dak Prescott. It’s absurd.

gtb1943

Reaction score
There are a number that post here that believe Dak Prescott is a problem in a variety of ways. Glad you’re not one of them. Dak’s contract, while significant when he signed it, quickly became comparatively modest and the Cowboys mismanaged the contract. The irony of pinning playoff struggles on Dak is that sans Dak Prescott the Cowboys are not good enough to be in the playoffs. There’s a team right in the same division with the Cowboys that found out no matter how well your quarterback plays you can still fail to win the Super Bowl because a MVP candidate QB is simply not enough. All the Cowboys have is a great quarterback. And too many fans want him gone. Yes, this is the time of year for unwarranted optimism about your favorite NFL team. All 32 teams are getting that from their respective fans. But the notion that the reins should be handed to Cooper Rush because he played well in a reserve role some years ago or handed to Trey Lance who has not even done that is mindless optimism. NY Giants fans have more faith in Daniel Jones than Cowboys fans have in Dak Prescott. It’s absurd.
playoff failure dude
and no matter how you try and deflect Dak has failed in the playoffs The only game that he truly shined in was against a losing team
when it counted against SF and GB he failed. Sucked to be blunt.

Sydla

Reaction score
I wish we had a GM who was man enough to say we have no interest in declining 30 year old RBs.
That declining 30 year old RB would be our best RB by far.

You just seem to hate all players. If you aren't complaining about guys being too old you are complaining about young guys being or potentially being paid too much.

I'd love to see what kind of roster you could come up with as GM. You'd sign 53 UDFAs. They'd be young and cheap.