Stephen Jones blames the salary cap for not pursuing Derrick Henry

Jarntt

Reaction score
People love to rag on Jerry(understandable hes warranted it) but Stephen is going to be a 1000x worse then his father . You think we have been a joke since Jerry ego took over buckle up
Is it crazy that I wish for the days when just Jerry ran the team? Stephen is like the parent that is always telling you not to do things because everything is too dangerous...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I know, you do tend to see everything as a pro-Dak agenda.
I'm convinced that we'd of made a seriou play for Henry had Dak situation been resolved (even if the agreement wasn't agreed until post -draftWe aren't putting resources on limi
You think that but seeing that I am one of the loudest about not giving him what he is asking for, it would be nonsense.

My take is nuanced. Yours is binary. How droll.

Flamma

Reaction score
They just restructured Dak last off-season. If there was even an inkling of doubt about Dak you don’t do that. Bottom line is the Jones’ backed themselves into a corner and now have no real way out. Dak accounting for this big of a cap hit and then letting him walk for nothing while also eating dead cap $ in 2025 would be 1 of the all time biggest blunders in sports management history. At this point it’s either extend or find a trade partner
I think you're half right. Extend shouldn't be an option if you consider what they did up until this point is bad management.

Think of this, and you'll see why they're not extending him yet. He's a 55M cap hit this year. If they let him walk after this season, he's something like a 40M dead cap. That doesn't disappear if he gets extended. Now picture a new 4 year 55M a year extension. That's 220M + 95M you have to spread out over 4 years. No amount of void years or fancy cap management can make that steaming pile of horse dung look good. That's why we see them eating the cap hit this year. Dak is not worth that kind of commitment. They'' reevaluate after the 2024 season.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
What a coincidence! I blame Stevie for the Cowboys not being a better team.
Exactly. Stop using excuses for the cap when teams manipulate it year in and out. Just say you want all the cap space next year for the 30 free agents we have and setting up new coach for failure.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

Well Stephen. Thanks for that knowledge.

Now here is a question.

Why are the Cowboys in this said bad cap situation? Isnt that what you manage?

Just some questions I would ask him back.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
In part. I have zero interest in the Dak pigeonholing. You have fun with it though.
Ir's more like your inability to accept any special weaknessin Dak's game.
Sorry, but the league's aware of his reliance on a running game.
As for the double dipping on the O-Line realistically that'll take time to bed in.
.....I'd see that to aid whomever is QB in 2025.
There's no point in supporting Dak's contract year....if we're not seriously competing in 2024, which we aren't. Not saying the Jones' are correct, but there's some weird logic to it (I'd thought you'd get that ;) )

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well Stephen. Thanks for that knowledge.

Now here is a question.

Why are the Cowboys in this said bad cap situation? Isnt that what you manage?

Just some questions I would ask him back.
2023 season.

Daks contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you're half right. Extend shouldn't be an option if you consider what they did up until this point is bad management.

Think of this, and you'll see why they're not extending him yet. He's a 55M cap hit this year. If they let him walk after this season, he's something like a 40M dead cap. That doesn't disappear if he gets extended. Now picture a new 4 year 55M a year extension. That's 220M + 95M you have to spread out over 4 years. No amount of void years or fancy cap management can make that steaming pile of horse dung look good. That's why we see them eating the cap hit this year. Dak is not worth that kind of commitment. They'' reevaluate after the 2024 season.
I still go back to Jerry's post game. He just looked defeated. I can't figure out what his plan is, no, but it's like Jerry finally came to a conclusion regarding Dak. Maybe we'll resign him if he plays lights out in the playoffs this season, not sure.

The smart moves would be to take the cap hits and just move on, use 25 as a rebuilding year.

phildadon86

Reaction score
2023 season.

Daks contract.
And the years when Dak was on a rookie deal?

The reason they are in this situation is they dont know how to manage the cap.

There is a reason contenders are always able to dive into FA.

Its because they have ACTUAL football people running things. Not an engineer and a drunk.

kskboys

Reaction score
And the years when Dak was on a rookie deal?

The reason they are in this situation is they dont know how to manage the cap.

There is a reason contenders are always able to dive into FA.

Its because they have ACTUAL football people running things. Not an engineer and a drunk.
And, to add, because they absolutely refuse to let it ride. In a pathetic attempt to stay relevant, they are always pushing money down the road. Problem is, at some point the chickens come home to roost, and that money has to count toward the salary cap. Which is what is happening this year, and the clear reason why we weren't active in FA. We have no salary cap room. And fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally, someone convinced them that we needed to take a break from pushing money down the road and let some cap room come around. That's why Dak hasnt' been extended, that's why we didn't push yet more money down the road, and that's why we didn't sign pricey FA's.

Smart move? Well, it can be if we stay the course. If we break down next off and spend a pile and push more down the road, then it's back to the same ol' same ol' and losing early in the playoffs. Hades, why not get Micah and CeeDee signed and push a pile of it into 25 to create room in the following years?

Flamma

Reaction score
I still go back to Jerry's post game. He just looked defeated. I can't figure out what his plan is, no, but it's like Jerry finally came to a conclusion regarding Dak. Maybe we'll resign him if he plays lights out in the playoffs this season, not sure.

The smart moves would be to take the cap hits and just move on, use 25 as a rebuilding year.
Absolutely. Think if you were the owner and you just saw that. Would you be getting out the checkbook? The effort you want to see is what the Lions and Packers put forth. The 49ers barely held them off. At home no less. On the flip side, our owner was embarrassed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ir's more like your inability to accept any special weaknessin Dak's game.
Sorry, but the league's aware of his reliance on a running game.
As for the double dipping on the O-Line realistically that'll take time to bed in.
.....I'd see that to aid whomever is QB in 2025.
There's no point in supporting Dak's contract year....if we're not seriously competing in 2024, which we aren't. Not saying the Jones' are correct, but there's some weird logic to it (I'd thought you'd get that ;) )
And is this where once again I point out my criticisms of Dak and pretend we have not had this conversation before?

phildadon86

Reaction score
And, to add, because they absolutely refuse to let it ride. In a pathetic attempt to stay relevant, they are always pushing money down the road. Problem is, at some point the chickens come home to roost, and that money has to count toward the salary cap. Which is what is happening this year, and the clear reason why we weren't active in FA. We have no salary cap room. And fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally, someone convinced them that we needed to take a break from pushing money down the road and let some cap room come around. That's why Dak hasnt' been extended, that's why we didn't push yet more money down the road, and that's why we didn't sign pricey FA's.

Smart move? Well, it can be if we stay the course. If we break down next off and spend a pile and push more down the road, then it's back to the same ol' same ol' and losing early in the playoffs. Hades, why not get Micah and CeeDee signed and push a pile of it into 25 to create room in the following years?
Unfortunately smart moves and this FO dont co-exist very well. It wouldnt shock me if they extend Dak prior to the season free up a ton of cap after FA is long come and gone. Its just how they operate. Jerrys comments about not knowing the cap situation when he made the "all-in" comment are mind blowing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely. Think if you were the owner and you just saw that. Would you be getting out the checkbook? The effort you want to see is what the Lions and Packers put forth. The 49ers barely held them off. At home no less. On the flip side, our owner was embarrassed.
He was. Embarrassed, confused, just completely waffled as to what had just happened.

Maybe he's finally realized that "just pay them" is a bad way to do business in the NFL?

Flamma

Reaction score
I've experienced more disappointing losses than the Packers embarrassment. But I've never been more disappointed in a playoff loss.