Stephen Jones comments on Dak's Contract

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
If the new mantra is everyone’s back is against the wall then why sign Dak this year, wait till next year. Maybe the new coach wants a QB that can throw the ball down the field.

This is why i have said i don't think he gets any extenstion until at least midway thru next season at the earliest. They won't sign him to anything this offseason IMO

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Romo went to multiple Pro Bowls and never sniffed a championship game. This team is so afraid of the Campo days they pay good QBs like great QBs and get good, not great, results. I'm not sold on Dak going any further absent a great defense and a run-first offense. Heck, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won SBs that way and no one dreamed of paying them like great QBs. Putting together a great defense is harder when your good QB is taking up significant cap space.

I just don't think the Joneses are capable of building a championship team, especially with the type of head coach they prefer - a guy who let's them hire his assistants and make personnel decisions. It's great fun for Jerry and Stephen, but how many decades does it take to figure out it's not working? It seems they'd rather fall short their way than win by being owners while hiring people to run the football side of the business.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
My hope is that they are trying to slide in and get Dak on a discount.

And ugh at talking extension with Elliott now.

Well your hope was dashed by that tweet and the wanting to do it in the off season. So much for letting him prove himself in the regular season.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Have been saying all along.
Dak is going to get paid.

Right or wrong, my choice would be to use the 4th year as the final evaluation year--like is done with 1st round QBs.
But it looks like he'll get his a year earlier.

Sad when you think some fellow posters on the Cowboyszone would make better owners than Jerry and son. :)

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Why do you have a problem with employers treating employees well?

That’s the problem with you guys. You think management is supposed to screw over the working class because you’re conditioned.

Guess you don't know what the Salary Cap is...

Nav22

Reaction score
I wish I could pass around a collection plate that Dak’s haters could fill with their DELICIOUS, YUMMY tears when Dak signs his new deal.

I’d GORGE on the plate like it’s my last meal.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can you say this? The evidence continues to mount that Stephen (and Jerry) has no clue what he's doing. From starting negotiations with the Raiders by immediately meeting their asking price for Cooper, through telling everyone that negotiations with Zeke start at what Gurley got, to now telling everyone that Dak needs to be paid progressively when I think most would agree that there's still some question about what we have in him.

Compare Stephen's tactics to the those employed by MLB teams in arbitration (the closest analogue I can think of). If anything, MLB teams have to be careful not to overly offend their players in the arbitral proceedings. They certainly don't make public statements that would support the players' bargaining position.

Because the evidence doesn’t suggest what what you suggests it suggests. Did we start immediately at the Raider’s asking price? I haven’t seen that. It *was* reported another team offered a first but wanted a lower pick back. Zeke’s deal beating Gurley’s deal two years later should shock exactly nobody. I’m not in favor of it, but that’s the obvious starting point. And what’s so bad about saying you’d sign Dak to a “progressive” contract? It doesn’t even mean anything.

The idea that regular fans think they’d be able to it negotiate the Joneses is laughable. As is the idea that they’re giving away anything material with meaningless twitter soundbites like these.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Because the evidence doesn’t suggest what what you suggests it suggests. Did we start immediately at the Raider’s asking price? I haven’t seen that. It *was* reported another team offered a first but wanted a lower pick back. Zeke’s deal beating Gurley’s deal two years later should shock exactly nobody. I’m not in favor of it, but that’s the obvious starting point. And what’s so bad about saying you’d sign Dak to a “progressive” contract? It doesn’t even mean anything.

The idea that regular fans think they’d be able to it negotiate the Joneses is laughable. As is the idea that they’re giving away anything material with meaningless twitter soundbites like these.

Reggie McClellan flat out told everyone that Stephen wanted the player and therefore simply put the Raiders’ asking price (which the whole world knew was a 1st) on the table.

It was reported the Eagles offered a 2nd. I haven’t seen the reports of which you speak.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sbn...s-trade-amari-cooper-cowboys-first-round-pick

Gurley’s deal is one year old, not two. Regardless, from a negotiating standpoint Gurley is the comp Zeke’s team will choose. I have no idea why the team would publicly concede that he is the appropriate comp (even if he is). (Granted, my take on Stephen’s comments regarding Zeke is coloured by the fact that I don’t think he should get paid at all.)

Same with Dak: even if you believe he deserves to be paid progressively there is only downside in conceding that to him publicly. This is a negotiation. You let the player and his reps come up with all the reasons he should be paid handsomely. Your job as the team rep is to lay out the reasons (privately) he shouldn’t get as much as he wants. There is enough doubt about what we have in Dak that paying him ‘progressively’ is questionable. And doing so on the basis of the team’s record during his tenure is doubly questionable (as I think you have to agree). That’s the reason (misguided though it may be) that Dak’s team will argue that he should be paid. It makes no sense to concede it to them publicly.

The idea that Stephen and Jerry’s negotiating tactics are beyond reproach simply because they are billionaires (you haven’t given any other reason to support your belief in those skills) is laughable.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Why do you have a problem with employers treating employees well?

That’s the problem with you guys. You think management is supposed to screw over the working class because you’re conditioned.

Fortunately management understands that saving a few bucks and having an unrest in the locker room is not the way to get the best performance from your players

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reggie McClellan flat out told everyone that Stephen wanted the player and therefore simply put the Raiders’ asking price (which the whole world knew was a 1st) on the table.

It was reported the Eagles offered a 2nd. I haven’t seen the reports of which you speak.

Gurley’s deal is one year old, not two. Regardless, from a negotiating standpoint Gurley is the comp Zeke’s team will choose. I have no idea why the team would publicly concede that he is the appropriate comp (even if he is). (Granted, my take on Stephen’s comments regarding Zeke are colored by the fact that I don’t think he should get paid at all.)

Same with Dak: even if you believe he deserves to be paid progressively there is only downside in conceding that to him publicly. This is a negotiation. You let the player and his reps come up with all the reasons he should be paid handsomely. Your job as the team rep is to lay out the reasons (privately) he shouldn’t get as much as he wants. There is enough doubt about what we have in Dak that paying him ‘progressively’ is questionable. And doing so on the basis of the team’s record during his tenure is doubly questionable (as I think you have to agree). That’s the reason (misguided though it may be) that Dak’s team will argue that he should be paid. It makes no sense to concede it to them publicly.

The idea that Stephen and Jerry’s negotiating tactics are beyond reproach simply because they are billionaires (you haven’t given any other reason to support your belief in those skills) is laughable.

Sources indicate the Titans were willing to meet the Raiders' asking price of a first-round pick for Cooper but wanted to flip draft positions with Oakland on the second day of the draft to soften the blow. The Cowboys were willing to trade a first-round pick with no other conditions and acquired the receiver on Oct. 22, hours after a tough loss to division-leading Washington.
https://clutchpoints.com/titans-news-were-willing-to-offer-a-first-round-pick-for-amari-cooper/ EDIT: Oops. First URL was from a site we don't link to. Here's a backup link.
Gurley's deal is much more likely be two years in the rear by the time the extend Elliott than it is to be one. We'll do Tank and Cooper and maybe Dak this season. That's a lot of big negotiations.

Again, with Dak, who cares about the word 'progressive' in that context? It's meaningless. What's the agent going to do? "You said you'd make an progressive offer?" "That was a progressive offer."

And I didn't say the Joneses were beyond reproach. I said that suggesting they don't know how to handle a player salary negotiation is ridiculous. And, yes, entirely because they've demonstrated that they know how to negotiate deals and that's evidenced by their absolutely enormous success. I don't need other evidence because there's no denying it. Listening to disgruntled fans on offseason sports sites suggest otherwise is absolutely a joke. I know it's fun to pretend you know better, but you just don't.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
And I didn't say the Joneses were beyond reproach. I said that suggesting they don't know how to handle a player salary negotiation is ridiculous. And, yes, entirely because they've demonstrated that they know how to negotiate deals and that's evidenced by their absolutely enormous success. I don't need other evidence because there's no denying it. Listening to disgruntled fans on offseason sports sites suggest otherwise is absolutely a joke. I know it's fun to pretend you know better, but you just don't.

Thanks for the link on the Titans’ offer.

Your point on Dak being paid ‘progressively’ is fair. I still don’t like publicly giving his reps ammo based upon team success.

Their enormous success is largely down to a lot of luck drilling holes in the ground and to Jerry’s absolute brilliance as a marketer. It’s as preposterous to suppose that being billionaires makes them great negotiators as it is to suppose that being billionaires makes them geniuses. (Jerry, in particular, is far from a genius and it’s obvious simply listening to him speak.) You clearly do need more evidence than you’re presenting, even if you don’t realize it.

I won’t into a personal battle that stacks my negotiating credentials against Stephen’s and Jerry’s. Frankly, you have no idea whether or not I know better. But the bigger issue is that the argument you’re invoking (essentially, what gives me the right to question the wisdom of billionaires) could be used to cut off all criticism of Jerry and Stephen. I don’t think that’s helpful to discussion on these forums and I think if you back away from this particular issue it’s not a position you would generally want to take.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the link on the Titans’ offer.

Your point on Dak being paid ‘progressively’ is fair. I still don’t like publicly giving his reps ammo based upon team success.

Their enormous success is largely down to a lot of luck drilling holes in the ground and to Jerry’s absolute brilliance as a marketer. It’s as preposterous to suppose that being billionaires makes them great negotiators as it is to suppose that being billionaires makes them geniuses. (Jerry, in particular, is far from a genius and it’s obvious simply listening to him speak.) You clearly do need more evidence than you’re presenting, even if you don’t realize it.

I won’t into a personal battle that stacks my negotiating credentials against Stephen’s and Jerry’s. Frankly, you have no idea whether or not I know better. But the bigger issue is that the argument you’re invoking (essentially, what gives me the right to question the wisdom of billionaires) could be used to cut off all criticism of Jerry and Stephen. I don’t think that’s helpful to discussion on these forums and I think if you back away from this particular issue it’s not a position you would generally want to take.

Criticize the Joneses all you like. There’s plenty to criticize. But keep it realistic. They know how to negotiate deals, and they have the lawyers who understand the salary cap. . A couple of twitter quotes don’t suggest otherwise.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

This.

What kind of ammo are they giving away by publicly stating "the starting point of Zeke's contract is Gurley's deal"? Do you think that Zeke's agent was somehow unaware of that until Stephen tipped him off?

And you've already covered it, but the notion that Jerry leaked the team's interest in Cooper and Oakland used this info to fleece us is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sandyf

Reaction score
The only way Stephen says anything is that there have already been discussions with all their agents and probably have frameworks in place. Only reason the comments on Lawrence is that they must be fairly close to a deal. Willing to bet they meet with Earl Thomas' agent and also Eifert's while in Indy. It is not like these were not going to go down. The question is to me what are the plans to address the DL especially DE on the right side. You have to know that teams are informed well in advance of any suspensions so the Cowboys knew about Gregory at least a month ago and Irving also. A surprise to fans but not to the coaches and front office.