Stephen Jones comments on Dak's Contract

Proof

Reaction score
They've been negotiating contracts far than you I'm sure, they know what they're doing

And all of the terrible coaches have coached more than me, the terrible players have played more than me. It is what it is.

And yes they know what they’re doing, as does everyone else, and the agent. It’s poor practice. How you don’t see that is beyond me. All good though

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
because they'd save money. And would be able to get out of a deal with him quicker. I dont think this team wants to be tied up to a rb for long anymore. 6=7 yrs with Elliot seems like a good amount and off to the next one.

Or that doing it by excercizing that 5th year the Cowboys get a longer look to see with the high volume of carries how Elliott holds up or if he starts to get an injury bug or his production starts to slip. Either case it could lead to less of a contract. Both ways, yours or mine have a positive and negative side. By signing him this off season will mean that 1 or more of the players they would like to resign won't have the cap space to do it which will mean they'll sign else where. The negative on my plan is if he doesn't drop in production and/or get an injury bug. It's somewhat of a gamble either way.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where he was draft is meaningless Stephen.

Unless you are trying to use that to depress the value of his extension.

His point may have been either that as a 4th rounder Dak's current pay level is especially low for a guy in Dak's position, or just a comment that Dak has proven himself to be much more than his draft position. In any case, why nitpick the words when we get the meaning? Nobody that speaks in public is going to express things perfectly every time, and we know, he's simply trying to say Dak has earned a bigger contract.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The secret is valuation. Obviously he’s going to get paid, but there are very serious arguments against him as far as how much. About how effective he is without premiere weapons etc. there is room for negotiation until you publicly build the case for him. I’d imagine they are looking for 30 mil annually. If you come in talking 20 with good supporting arguments, then maybe 25-28 is doable. Instead you’re setting the floor

Agents try to get the best deal for their players but they also know that if they start out with an unreasonable demand they are setting things up for a very long negotiation that sometimes gets them fired. A good agent isn't going to put his starting point at 30 mil for Prescott making Prescott tied for the 2nd most per year salary in the league. Prescott knows this and the Cowboys know this and both know what Prescott still needs to improve on. Again that 30 mil a year is a fan's number. Also starting at an unreasonable starting point the agent losses credibility with the team for doing that. The team just stonewalls and waits for the player to tell his agent to get reasonable or fires him. Now there are some players who actually think they should be the highest paid but since Prescott has already publicly said that whenever this extension is done it will be fair for all and that doesn't sound like he's looking to be tied for 2nd on yearly salaries.

Proof

Reaction score
Agents try to get the best deal for their players but they also know that if they start out with an unreasonable demand they are setting things up for a very long negotiation that sometimes gets them fired. A good agent isn't going to put his starting point at 30 mil for Prescott making Prescott tied for the 2nd most per year salary in the league. Prescott knows this and the Cowboys know this and both know what Prescott still needs to improve on. Again that 30 mil a year is a fan's number. Also starting at an unreasonable starting point the agent losses credibility with the team for doing that. The team just stonewalls and waits for the player to tell his agent to get reasonable or fires him. Now there are some players who actually think they should be the highest paid but since Prescott has already publicly said that whenever this extension is done it will be fair for all and that doesn't sound like he's looking to be tied for 2nd on yearly salaries.

These were just arbitrary numbers used for arguments sake.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I'm afraid he will get paid like a top 3 QB and then throw in big contracts for DLaw, Cooper and Elliot.

Dre11

Reaction score
And all of the terrible coaches have coached more than me, the terrible players have played more than me. It is what it is.

And yes they know what they’re doing, as does everyone else, and the agent. It’s poor practice. How you don’t see that is beyond me. All good though

You right I don't see it, they know what they going to pay, they know how much they're willing to pay. They know that today's overpayment is tomorrow's bargain.

Proof

Reaction score
You right I don't see it, they know what they going to pay, they know how much they're willing to pay. They know that today's overpayment is tomorrow's bargain.

That’s the point. You don’t have to tell the world what you’re willing to pay, especially when the world at large is building your case.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm afraid he will get paid like a top 3 QB and then throw in big contracts for DLaw, Cooper and Elliot.

Maybe then it's a good thing that fans here who are so sure Prescott will get a top 3 contract aren't real GM's and will be pleasantly surprise that Jerry and Stephen are smart enough not to pay Prescott top 3 money and pay him his real worth which I'm guessing, again guessing, will be 18 mil - 21 mil a season which will be like 50 times more than what he made this past season.