Stephen Jones - Dak deal will ultimately get done

black label

Reaction score
All I know is Jerry please give this dood more money than Brazil has, that will pump a dump

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why does it seem like everyone in the media feels it's the Cowboys' fault for not having Dak under contract by now? If you had to choose, who's to blame?— GARET TANEKA / WAILUKU, HI

Nick: I think it's a good question and a fair question. Remember, when you say "media," are you sure you're not just talking about one guy at a major network who is making a point to bash on the Cowboys? That's just his shtick and it works. I'm not sure if a lot of local media here are really ripping the Cowboys for it. We think we know Dak has an offer on the table and right now, they're not seeing eye to eye. I don't know if I blame anyone. But I can't say I disagree with the Cowboys for not making him the highest-paid QB in the league. Does he deserve a big pay day? Yes. But I don't think he's earned a deal that would pay him higher than Russell Wilson.

David: I think people tend to blame the organization because, at the end of the day, it's their responsibility to make things work. As Stephen Jones has said before, it's not Dak Prescott's job to worry about the cap. That's the front office's job. Having said that, there's plenty of blame to go around when a contract negotiation has lingered for this long. I don't blame Dak for trying to maximize his value, and I don't blame the Cowboys if they're trying to hold firm and keep from setting the market. But the bottom line is that something's got to give, and I put more responsibility on the organization than the player to figure that out.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-who-gets-the-blame-in-the-dak-delay

Adreme

Reaction score
In a discussion, it's then up to you to disprove the statement. A statement is an opinion and alright...

I mean its pretty easy to disprove that statement. If Dak does NOTHING but sign the tag for this year and next he will make more than Wilson on average. After he could go and reset the market but that part does not matter for your premise. What does matter is that Dak has no reason to even start negotiations below that number because he will get it doing nothing and he has no reason to compromise on years when he can walk in 2 years and get paid more.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I mean its pretty easy to disprove that statement. If Dak does NOTHING but sign the tag for this year and next he will make more than Wilson on average. After he could go and reset the market but that part does not matter for your premise. What does matter is that Dak has no reason to even start negotiations below that number because he will get it doing nothing and he has no reason to compromise on years when he can walk in 2 years and get paid more.

So, in the mean time, he's going to pull the wool over an entire team in the locker room or actually give less than his complete heart and do what you suggest?

Adreme

Reaction score
So, in the mean time, he's going to pull the wool over an entire team in the locker room or actually give less than his complete heart and do what you suggest?

What are you talking about? He will just play football like he has the previous 4 years, while waiting for the new contract that will assuredly make him the highest paid in the NFL for the reasons outlined. None of your premises make any sense in relation to that fact or even seem relevant to the contract at all.

CCBoy

Reaction score
What are you talking about? He will just play football like he has the previous 4 years, while waiting for the new contract that will assuredly make him the highest paid in the NFL for the reasons outlined. None of your premises make any sense in relation to that fact or even seem relevant to the contract at all.

Go back to your preppie references...

He doesn't deserve highest pay. Jerry knows that, his agent knows that, and every media source does as well.

In the NFL, one can't just act like the prima dona, he has to earn it...not just be good. Up to here, Dak has only been good. Just stand and state how close he is to Tom Brady or Drew Brees....well? They didn't ask for top shelf money and Dak doesn't play for Kansas City.

If he holds out now and for another round of the same, then he is pushing his own vanity, not leading the team.

Dak has been a good soldier, and deserves to be paid...but don't ignore the complete picture when appraising what someone else states. Learn listening skills before you take of declare stupidity...and no rebuttal by you doesn't equal a valid stance. Try addressing what was given you, and go from there. This is little more than a show of ego by yourself.

This is a very important season...Stephen and Jerry won't blow it. Dak better not...

Adreme

Reaction score
Go back to your preppie references...

He doesn't deserve highest pay. Jerry knows that, his agent knows that, and every media source does as well.

In the NFL, one can't just act like the prima dona, he has to earn it...not just be good. Up to here, Dak has only been good. Just stand and state how close he is to Tom Brady or Drew Brees....well? They didn't ask for top shelf money and Dak doesn't play for Kansas City.

If he holds out now and for another round of the same, then he is pushing his own vanity, not leading the team.

Dak has been a good soldier, and deserves to be paid...but don't ignore the complete picture when appraising what someone else states. Learn listening skills before you take of declare stupidity...and no rebuttal by you doesn't equal a valid stance. Try addressing what was given you, and go from there. This is little more than a show of ego by yourself.

This is a very important season...Stephen and Jerry won't blow it. Dak better not...

The best player is rarely the highest paid player. Russel Wilson is actually the first player of the last 6 or 7 record QB deals that you could argue is actually a top 5 QB. That is not how contracts in the NFL work. They work around leverage and whether you choose to use that leverage. Right now Dak's leverage is the act of doing nothing for 2 years means that over those 2 years he is the highest paid QB in the NFL and after he would be a free agent where he would continue to be the highest paid.

Its up to each player to decide if they want to maximize earnings (like Drew Brees did early in his career) or if they want to give a discount to go on one last run at a title (like Drew Brees is now). Neither one is inherently bad, and there is nothing wrong a person wanting to make as much as they can. Drew Brees was not a primadona for wanting his money and neither was any other player. Being a primar dona is about what you do outside of those contracts. Its Jalen Ramsay showing up to training camp with an announcer talking about how he is going to be rich. Its TO doing situps on camera to show off to the press. Its not a player wanting to get paid for their hard work. Also, other players typically do not get mad at another player for wanting their money. So his teammates will not judge him negatively, and therefore his status as a leader will not change.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The best player is rarely the highest paid player. Russel Wilson is actually the first player of the last 6 or 7 record QB deals that you could argue is actually a top 5 QB. That is not how contracts in the NFL work. They work around leverage and whether you choose to use that leverage. Right now Dak's leverage is the act of doing nothing for 2 years means that over those 2 years he is the highest paid QB in the NFL and after he would be a free agent where he would continue to be the highest paid.

Its up to each player to decide if they want to maximize earnings (like Drew Brees did early in his career) or if they want to give a discount to go on one last run at a title (like Drew Brees is now). Neither one is inherently bad, and there is nothing wrong a person wanting to make as much as they can. Drew Brees was not a primadona for wanting his money and neither was any other player. Being a primar dona is about what you do outside of those contracts. Its Jalen Ramsay showing up to training camp with an announcer talking about how he is going to be rich. Its TO doing situps on camera to show off to the press. Its not a player wanting to get paid for their hard work. Also, other players typically do not get mad at another player for wanting their money. So his teammates will not judge him negatively, and therefore his status as a leader will not change.

Bottom line is dedication and commitment...leave a chink in one's armor, and not everyone walks on by.

You actually going to state that a horse that only ran in the Kentucky Derby is the highest paid? Now seriously, whose money for paying all of this do you think will stand for that?

Kansas City's quarterback has earned that, as did others who received it to reach to top slots of today's list of highest paid. Potential doesn't reach the top rungs, when someone else assumes the debt.

And if I were going to war with another, he had better have my back, every time...this NFL may be a game, but everyone is putting it on the line - for real.

Dak has been a contributor, he better remain just that...as he will always have to square with Jerry Jones. That goes now...but Stephen and Jerry can handle this, but with one foot set.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
MEANWHILE....
40gfv3.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Adreme

Reaction score
Bottom line is dedication and commitment...leave a chink in one's armor, and not everyone walks on by.

You actually going to state that a horse that only ran in the Kentucky Derby is the highest paid? Now seriously, whose money for paying all of this do you think will stand for that?

Kansas City's quarterback has earned that, as did others who received it to reach to top slots of today's list of highest paid. Potential doesn't reach the top rungs, when someone else assumes the debt.

And if I were going to war with another, he had better have my back, every time...this NFL may be a game, but everyone is putting it on the line - for real.

Dak has been a contributor, he better remain just that...as he will always have to square with Jerry Jones. That goes now...but Stephen and Jerry can handle this, but with one foot set.

You have created a false dichotomy where somehow he has to choose being paid and being committed where plenty of players are committed but also want to maximize their earnings. Players frequently have it both ways.

I am going to state that the highest paid palyer, who will be a QB, is VERY rarely the best QB and is the QB whose contract is up. Kirk Cousins was the highest paid, and could have been more so but he wanted a fully guaranteed contract, and he was not that impressive, Jimmy G had less than 10 starts and has gotten that honor, because the leverage they had made it possible. Goff's 33.5 average, and at the time highest guaranteed, shows you do not even really need to be a great QB to get the mega deal, you just need to be good enough. Dak has already said he is not giving a discount and that his rookie contract was his discount, which is fair, and knowing he is not giving a discount he is assuredly going to be the highest paid QB.

Mahomes is a better QB and when his time comes he will make more than Dak, so will Watson, so will Jackson, and so will whatever tier 2 QB is up for a new contract after Dak signs his because that is how the NFL works.

plasticman

Reaction score
The impatience of fans on this site, married with the envy and slander of what these players make is a sickening truth.

Dak will get done. Stop wetting your underoos.

He will be paid commensurate to what starting QB's make.

Jones is a billionaire. He made that mostly off this team and the stadium. The percentage of payroll for talent versus net profit is questionable.

The heartfelt, tear laden posts filled with vitriol for Dak because he wants to be paid, after playing four years giving his best efforts on his rookie contract is truly a disgusting thing to watch on this board.

Maybe all of you barco lounger GM's and Head Coaches need to just enjoy the ride. This is a loaded team, with two prospects for DE still to come. I understood the rancor when Quincy was the QB. There was no hope for the future and Jerry was making trades on draft day so he could look like Jimmy.

Just:

iu

Bonus points if you know the guy in the graphic and where he is from.

I don't know about the tear laden and vitriol part.....okay, maybe just a little......my concern is the distraction, the potential missing time spent with the new players and coaching staff, and especially what is going on in Daks head when he considers that his fellow draftees, Jaylon and Zeke got their contracts a year early despite Jaylon missing the entire first season, Zeke holding out a year before the contract expired and missing time due to a suspension.

You're probably right.

I need to get out of this house and back to work. I'm so bored I have to make up things to worry about.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You have created a false dichotomy where somehow he has to choose being paid and being committed where plenty of players are committed but also want to maximize their earnings. Players frequently have it both ways.

I am going to state that the highest paid palyer, who will be a QB, is VERY rarely the best QB and is the QB whose contract is up. Kirk Cousins was the highest paid, and could have been more so but he wanted a fully guaranteed contract, and he was not that impressive, Jimmy G had less than 10 starts and has gotten that honor, because the leverage they had made it possible. Goff's 33.5 average, and at the time highest guaranteed, shows you do not even really need to be a great QB to get the mega deal, you just need to be good enough. Dak has already said he is not giving a discount and that his rookie contract was his discount, which is fair, and knowing he is not giving a discount he is assuredly going to be the highest paid QB.

Mahomes is a better QB and when his time comes he will make more than Dak, so will Watson, so will Jackson, and so will whatever tier 2 QB is up for a new contract after Dak signs his because that is how the NFL works.

Not at all, you look for a way to look smart and breakdown meat of statements to change it for your convenience. Nothing was created falsely. You are full of it thus stated.

NO, under performing players who's team was NOT most dependent upon their ability to create, and win...do NOT receive top pay. Now move on...right now, Dak has enough problems to catch up to the level that his 'new' team is at, and how he is supposed to play within new management and scheme applications.

To say he also deserves top pay, is naïve and irresponsible for discussive merit.

Goff ended up in the Super Bowl. How many PLAYOFF games has Cousins played in? Dak has again, come off a 8-8 season.

Year one: 13-3 Lost to Green Bay in only playoff game
Year two: 10-6 Missed playoffs
Year three: 10-6 Won against Seattle and lost to the Rams
Year four: 8-8 Missed playoffs

He lost to Goff and Rogers.

Dak has been offered top level money for all but the very top quarterbacks in the league.

The team has been built around him, but he still has to accomplish something to associate him at least with the Divisional level game or Super Bowl.

Adreme

Reaction score
Not at all, you look for a way to look smart and breakdown meat of statements to change it for your convenience. Nothing was created falsely. You are full of it thus stated.

NO, under performing players who's team was NOT most dependent upon their ability to create, and win...do NOT receive top pay. Now move on...right now, Dak has enough problems to catch up to the level that his 'new' team is at, and how he is supposed to play within new management and scheme applications.

To say he also deserves top pay, is naïve and irresponsible for discussive merit.

Goff ended up in the Super Bowl. How many PLAYOFF games has Cousins played in? Dak has again, come off a 8-8 season.

Dak has been offered top level money for all but the very top quarterbacks in the league.

The team has been built around him, but he still has to accomplish something to associate him at least with the Divisional level game or Super Bowl.

Records are a team stat, not a QB stat. In terms of actual QB play he just had one of the best seasons in the NFL and has drastically improved from his 2016 form. He has never lost to Goff or Rodgers. He has never been on the field at the same time as Goff or Rodgers. Goff was in the Super Bowl despite his play. Jimmy G was in the SB despite his play, because winning is a team stat. Also unrelated I think Kirk is 0-4 in the playoffs at the moment which would imply 4 appearances to answer your question.

The QBs I listed who got top pay, are all worse and in the case of Jimmy G had far less starting experience when they became the highest paid player in the NFL, so the metrics you have set are already established to not be based around how the economy of the NFL works. It might be how you wish it worked, but the past shows that is not how it works. So knowing how the economy of the NFL actually works, its easy to show why Dak will get his contract. There is a zero percent chance that whatever deal he signs does not make him the highest paid player in the NFL, assuming they get it done this offseason. That is a guarantee based on both Dak not giving a discount and how QB contracts have worked out thus far.

Hunter Henry is not even close to as good as Travis Kelce. Leremy Tunsil is not even the best LT in his draft class. Brandon Scherff is certainly not the best guard in the NFL. Is Darius Slay really the best CB in the NFL? Was Byron Jones? The highest paid player at their position is the one who has their contract up at the right time and can therefore maximize their leverage. Whatever number Mahomes/Watson get will probably only hold up until Jackson gets his number. Its just the way the NFL economy works. You are arguing it should not work that way, and saying that because it should not work that way that it does not work that way but it does work that way.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Records are a team stat, not a QB stat. In terms of actual QB play he just had one of the best seasons in the NFL and has drastically improved from his 2016 form. He has never lost to Goff or Rodgers. He has never been on the field at the same time as Goff or Rodgers. Goff was in the Super Bowl despite his play. Jimmy G was in the SB despite his play, because winning is a team stat. Also unrelated I think Kirk is 0-4 in the playoffs at the moment which would imply 4 appearances to answer your question.

The QBs I listed who got top pay, are all worse and in the case of Jimmy G had far less starting experience when they became the highest paid player in the NFL, so the metrics you have set are already established to not be based around how the economy of the NFL works. It might be how you wish it worked, but the past shows that is not how it works. So knowing how the economy of the NFL actually works, its easy to show why Dak will get his contract. There is a zero percent chance that whatever deal he signs does not make him the highest paid player in the NFL, assuming they get it done this offseason. That is a guarantee based on both Dak not giving a discount and how QB contracts have worked out thus far.

Hunter Henry is not even close to as good as Travis Kelce. Leremy Tunsil is not even the best LT in his draft class. Brandon Scherff is certainly not the best guard in the NFL. Is Darius Slay really the best CB in the NFL? Was Byron Jones? The highest paid player at their position is the one who has their contract up at the right time and can therefore maximize their leverage. Whatever number Mahomes/Watson get will probably only hold up until Jackson gets his number. Its just the way the NFL economy works. You are arguing it should not work that way, and saying that because it should not work that way that it does not work that way but it does work that way.

No, I'm not arguing...just presenting facts. You attempt merely to present an abstract to not focus on the truth. Anything less than full application, is based upon a make believe rule of abstract dominance. Not in the NFL and with the amounts of salaries today. That would truly be the chaos at it's finest. The NFL is completely dependent upon TV revenues to even exist now. Make believe teams? No, pay for what one gets...as to an argument, just go ahead and start one, or discuss counter points for what is presented. A book of special cases doesn't invalidate the real principals involved.

You here and now saying that team scouts and organizations DON'T know what real values for players are? You don't even address values with a stance that players don't also have to earn top money.

You aren't being real here...good night, play with someone else's time now.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

Kirk Cousins was the highest paid qb after leaving the Commanders. He had played in two playoffs games to that point and lost both of them.

CCBoy

Reaction score

First off: He has never lost to Goff or Rodgers, is completely wrong...and no, there isn't an argument, only in your mind, as to it 'SHOULDN'T' be that way.