Stephen Jones - Dak deal will ultimately get done

Adreme

Reaction score
No, I'm not arguing...just presenting facts. You attempt merely to present an abstract to not focus on the truth. Anything less than full application, is based upon a make believe rule of abstract dominance. Not in the NFL and with the amounts of salaries today. That would truly be the chaos at it's finest. The NFL is completely dependent upon TV revenues to even exist now. Make believe teams? No, pay for what one gets...as to an argument, just go ahead and start one, or discuss counter points for what is presented. A book of special cases doesn't invalidate the real principals involved.

You here and now saying that team scouts and organizations DON'T know what real values for players are? You don't even address values with a stance that players don't also have to earn top money.

You aren't being real here...good night, play with someone else's time now.

You are not arguing facts. Your facts only work if every NFL player got to renegotiate their salary every year or the cap never changed.

Are you really going to argue any of those players are the best at their positions, even among those getting second contracts? Even scouts and front office people know they are not, but your value is based around a scenario that does not exist in the NFL.

Your determination to crate every imaginary scenario that ignores the reality of the history of the NFL since free agency means you are not really interested in a fact based conversation so I will step away knowing I spent time talking to someone about economics who does not understand economics.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins was the highest paid qb after leaving the Commanders. He had played in two playoffs games to that point and lost both of them.
A team will pay for what it thinks it must have to be competitive. Was that a wise decision...? No

If he didn't deserve that amount by today's standard, does that also make taking a number 2 pick in Chicago was also a good move? 2 wins, so?

CCBoy

Reaction score
You are not arguing facts. Your facts only work if every NFL player got to renegotiate their salary every year or the cap never changed.

Are you really going to argue any of those players are the best at their positions, even among those getting second contracts? Even scouts and front office people know they are not, but your value is based around a scenario that does not exist in the NFL.

Your determination to crate every imaginary scenario that ignores the reality of the history of the NFL since free agency means you are not really interested in a fact based conversation so I will step away knowing I spent time talking to someone about economics who does not understand economics.

No, son, I was stating that Dak doesn't deserve beyond what Dallas offered. All above that is slop being tossed about, by you or someone else.

By all means, move on...as you DON'T pay the bills or really care what is right or wrong...only in a catch phrase, like they deserve glory in todays hampered world.

Don't worry, I won't have to wipe off tears from telling you such.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Jerry wants to pay well he pays big.
Zeke, D-Law, Coop, Collins, and here comes Jaylon with a new contract.
Jerry simply is not sold on Dak hence the Dalton move and either he rescinds the TAG and they go with Dalton or Dak plays with the Tag.
I mean common now if you can't read between the lines here then your passions have blinded you to the facts!
There will be no new contract by July 15th for Dak.....unless it's for 15 million a year give or take.

nobody

Reaction score
That's not going to happen. Even pluto lost its status as a planet.

pluto-and-australia-sitting-in-a-tree.jpg

Pluto in comparison with Australia.

Swagger

Reaction score
The best player is rarely the highest paid player. Russel Wilson is actually the first player of the last 6 or 7 record QB deals that you could argue is actually a top 5 QB. That is not how contracts in the NFL work. They work around leverage and whether you choose to use that leverage. Right now Dak's leverage is the act of doing nothing for 2 years means that over those 2 years he is the highest paid QB in the NFL and after he would be a free agent where he would continue to be the highest paid.

Its up to each player to decide if they want to maximize earnings (like Drew Brees did early in his career) or if they want to give a discount to go on one last run at a title (like Drew Brees is now). Neither one is inherently bad, and there is nothing wrong a person wanting to make as much as they can. Drew Brees was not a primadona for wanting his money and neither was any other player. Being a primar dona is about what you do outside of those contracts. Its Jalen Ramsay showing up to training camp with an announcer talking about how he is going to be rich. Its TO doing situps on camera to show off to the press. Its not a player wanting to get paid for their hard work. Also, other players typically do not get mad at another player for wanting their money. So his teammates will not judge him negatively, and therefore his status as a leader will not change.

I take your point and it's a valid one.

However, those quarterbacks that did reset the market haven't won superbowls and that includes Russell Wilson who is a top 3 QB in the league.

Adreme

Reaction score
No, son, I was stating that Dak doesn't deserve beyond what Dallas offered. All above that is slop being tossed about, by you or someone else.

By all means, move on...as you DON'T pay the bills or really care what is right or wrong...only in a catch phrase, like they deserve glory in todays hampered world.

Don't worry, I won't have to wipe off tears from telling you such.

You said he would not get it. He absolutely will because the market, as I have shown, states he will. The market for QBs combined with the leverage he has is why he will be highest paid. Whether he should be or not is a fair matter to debate, but what is not up for debate is that he will be.

Adreme

Reaction score
I take your point and it's a valid one.

However, those quarterbacks that did reset the market haven't won superbowls and that includes Russell Wilson who is a top 3 QB in the league.

I mean if Kyle Shanahan would let someone else call the plays, that number would not hold up (possibly twice but I have not looked at Matt Ryan's contract lately). We have really only had 6 or 7 years since teams were rid of rookies who used to take up larger portions of contracts so there is not exactly a large sample size to go off of in terms of winning Super Bowls with expensive QBs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Go back to your preppie references...

He doesn't deserve highest pay. Jerry knows that, his agent knows that, and every media source does as well.

In the NFL, one can't just act like the prima dona, he has to earn it...not just be good. Up to here, Dak has only been good. Just stand and state how close he is to Tom Brady or Drew Brees....well? They didn't ask for top shelf money and Dak doesn't play for Kansas City.

If he holds out now and for another round of the same, then he is pushing his own vanity, not leading the team.

Dak has been a good soldier, and deserves to be paid...but don't ignore the complete picture when appraising what someone else states. Learn listening skills before you take of declare stupidity...and no rebuttal by you doesn't equal a valid stance. Try addressing what was given you, and go from there. This is little more than a show of ego by yourself.

This is a very important season...Stephen and Jerry won't blow it. Dak better not...
Yet, Jerry is offering him the highest paid contract lol. Are you sleepy?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yea right Stephen

They will try to get a deal done around the deadline ala Amari, but it wont happen and Dak will play on the
tag

They havent even spoken (meaningful engagement) to Dak’s agent since the tag was placed on him
During the draft a notification popped up on my phone saying they had made progress. Take that for what it’s worth. I really don’t think anyone knows anything lol.

shabazz

Reaction score
When Jerry wants to pay well he pays big.
Zeke, D-Law, Coop, Collins, and here comes Jaylon with a new contract.
Jerry simply is not sold on Dak hence the Dalton move and either he rescinds the TAG and they go with Dalton or Dak plays with the Tag.
I mean common now if you can't read between the lines here then your passions have blinded you to the facts!
There will be no new contract by July 15th for Dak.....unless it's for 15 million a year give or take.

They are more than comfortable in the land of denial. If he went to the Commanders they would probably switch teams.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The talk of rescinding the tag is the dumbest thing yet.

Why would the Cowboys let him walk for nothing instead of trading him for something?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I mean if Kyle Shanahan would let someone else call the plays, that number would not hold up (possibly twice but I have not looked at Matt Ryan's contract lately). We have really only had 6 or 7 years since teams were rid of rookies who used to take up larger portions of contracts so there is not exactly a large sample size to go off of in terms of winning Super Bowls with expensive QBs.

I think Brady has skewed that statistic with Super Bowls and going forward more Super Bowl winning qbs will be on market rate contracts.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
A team will pay for what it thinks it must have to be competitive. Was that a wise decision...? No

If he didn't deserve that amount by today's standard, does that also make taking a number 2 pick in Chicago was also a good move? 2 wins, so?

I don't think it was a bad decision. Even at the time I thought the Commanders should have paid Cousins but instead they tagged him twice then let him walk and they have been a dumpster fire since. Commanders would have saved money (and draft capital) had they just paid him instead of tagging him, and they would probably been more competitive as a franchise. And I think Dak is better than Cousins so I definitely think the Cowboys should pay him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I've resigned myself to simply surfing the emotional waves on this site with a coke and a smile.
I ain't gonna be changing no minds. I know that.
Isn't that the truth. I try to tone down a lot of my posts just so I don't get in pissing matches that inevitably go nowhere and just make your blood pressure rise.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
“Obviously, it has no bearing on Dak," Jones said about Andy Dalton's signing in an interview with 105.3 The Fan. "Dak is the quarterback of our franchise now, and for many years to come. We’ve gotta get his contract — we’ve gotta get over that hurdle. But we’ll do it, it’ll ultimately get done.” Deadlines have historically made deals in Dallas, and Prescott clearly isn't in a rush to sign his franchise tag since the two sides have until the July 15 deadline to negotiate a long-term extension. As known all along, 32-year-old Dalton is merely glass to break in case of emergency. Expect Prescott's eventual deal to reset the market (before Patrick Mahomes' resets it again).

Source - Rotoworld.com

But...but...Skip Bayless said Dalton is going to start over Dak. :huh:

I don't like seeing "reset the market" but I've been convinced all along that's what is going to happen and it still looks that way. The Cowboys will cave when there's no more time to wait.

They did it with D Law (his shoulder surgery), they did it with Zeke (season was about to start), and they'll do it with Dak.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You said he would not get it. He absolutely will because the market, as I have shown, states he will. The market for QBs combined with the leverage he has is why he will be highest paid. Whether he should be or not is a fair matter to debate, but what is not up for debate is that he will be.

You know something, smart guy, you are full of it...and I'll make my OWN statements, pal.

Do tell us all when he is going to sign and for how much. He already is at a high level in offers...so, what are you using to measure, a Ouija Board?