Stephen Jones - Dak deal will ultimately get done

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't think it was a bad decision. Even at the time I thought the Commanders should have paid Cousins but instead they tagged him twice then let him walk and they have been a dumpster fire since. Commanders would have saved money (and draft capital) had they just paid him instead of tagging him, and they would probably been more competitive as a franchise. And I think Dak is better than Cousins so I definitely think the Cowboys should pay him.
:)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“His contract will reset the market.”

I like Dak, but I hate this so much. We are really going to pay him more money than anyone in the history of the NFL even though he’s just a top 10ish QB. More than Russell Wilson. More than Aaron Rodgers.

He and Wentz should be getting paid the same. Same draft class. Same tier of player.
Again (and again and again) pay is not based on a poll ranking the QB's, it's based on the market for a commodity. Accordingly, if Dak resets the market for QB's it's not because he is treated as the most valuable QB in the NFL, it's because he is the most valuable commodity of his type currently negotiating a contract. If Mahomes or Rodgers or Wilson were negotiating a new contract today they would have a higher market value than Dak.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“His contract will reset the market.”

I like Dak, but I hate this so much. We are really going to pay him more money than anyone in the history of the NFL even though he’s just a top 10ish QB. More than Russell Wilson. More than Aaron Rodgers.

He and Wentz should be getting paid the same. Same draft class. Same tier of player.

No, they're not going to pay him more...Not in terms of percent of the salary cap.

Dak might not even exceed Deion's contract in 1995 in terms of relative comparison. Deion signed for about 18% of the cap. Russell Wilson was 18.6%.

Tussinman

Reaction score
That's not how economics work. 2 huge issues with this

1. Cap will increase twice between those 2 deals. Not comparable dollar for dollar. There percentage of cap could end up being the same but Dak will be paid signficantly higher per year

2. The biggest issue is extension vs new deal. Wentz was extended with 2 years left on his deal. What they basically did was spread the extension into 2 cheap years. The deal in real dollar terms came out to be 6 years at 26 million a year.......
Again (and again and again) pay is not based on a poll ranking the QB's, it's based on the market for a commodity. Accordingly, if Dak resets the market for QB's it's not because he is treated as the most valuable QB in the NFL, it's because he is the most valuable commodity of his type currently negotiating a contract. If Mahomes or Rodgers or Wilson were negotiating a new contract today they would have a higher market value than Dak.
Not only that but it won't be an extension like Wentz so you can't spread the cap hit into cheap years. Wentz extension for example was essentially 6 years of rights for only around 26 million a year since 1. It was done early and 2. It was an extension versus a brand new deal so they could spread the cap into the much cheaper 4th and 5th year

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The talk of rescinding the tag is the dumbest thing yet.

Why would the Cowboys let him walk for nothing instead of trading him for something?

Because emotions rule and people start posting out of their "hopes" rather than reality. You see it in this very thread where we see a quote from Stephen saying Dak is their guy for the 4th or 5th time, this time in light of the Dalton signing, and STILL people are getting in their feelings about it, lol. There's still 2 months to go before the deadline too. Lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You said he would not get it. He absolutely will because the market, as I have shown, states he will. The market for QBs combined with the leverage he has is why he will be highest paid. Whether he should be or not is a fair matter to debate, but what is not up for debate is that he will be.

Logic is like vapor to hope-posting. I read that entire exchange and at the point where you get the petty insults back and even the threat of the "This is incredulous. I don't have time to teach you" storm-off to disengage in a way to save face, you know you've destroyed them in the argument. I get this all the time. And I love it, lol.

Adreme

Reaction score
You know something, smart guy, you are full of it...and I'll make my OWN statements, pal.

Do tell us all when he is going to sign and for how much. He already is at a high level in offers...so, what are you using to measure, a Ouija Board?

You said, and its how this conversation started, that he would not sign for a record contract and be the highest paid player in the NFL. That is your statement. its how this entire bit started. Whether its 4 years 37 or 4 years 40, who knows but the number will be the highest in the NFL because otherwise he can find that number elsewhere while being the highest in the NFL. It will be somewhere between 37-40 million per year and likely for 4 years. As for when it gets signed, probably close to the deadline because that seems to be how franchise tag deals work

CCBoy

Reaction score
You said, and its how this conversation started, that he would not sign for a record contract and be the highest paid player in the NFL. That is your statement. its how this entire bit started. Whether its 4 years 37 or 4 years 40, who knows but the number will be the highest in the NFL because otherwise he can find that number elsewhere while being the highest in the NFL. It will be somewhere between 37-40 million per year and likely for 4 years. As for when it gets signed, probably close to the deadline because that seems to be how franchise tag deals work

No, that is what JERRY JONES stated...and they're set on that course...you really set on attempting an argument? Go ahead, and start one!

Your figures are too high...especially with the current status on the exclusive tag, or years involved. No, the Cowboys won't bend much further...he already had a record guaratee, $105 million.

Adreme

Reaction score
No, that is what JERRY JONES stated...and they're set on that course...you really set on attempting an argument? Go ahead, and start one!

Your figures are too high...especially with the current status on the exclusive tag, or years involved. No, the Cowboys won't bend much further...he already had a record guaratee, $105 million.

If Dak does nothing, but sits on 2 tags, he makes more than Wilson on average. Then he is free to go into free agency where he will almost assuredly sign a deal that averages even more than that. Both of these are true statements. Dak has zero incentive to sign a deal that is less than that so whatever he signs will make him the highest paid player or he will just wait out the tags.

Now the lack of fans might make the cap go down next year (or maybe the new TV contracts considering the NFL will likely have record ratings will offset a lot of that), but 2 years from now when the stadiums are full again the numbers will be the massive skyrocket that was expected for next year and contracts will have the massive spike that players even now are preparing for. This will also apply to QB contracts, as before Covid, people were not talking about 40 million dollar QB contracts, they were talking about whether Mahomes and Watson and Dak get 50 million annually. When you take that number into account, Dak could get 43-45 and average 40 million per year over 40 years or exactly what he reportedly asked for.

Now taking a couple million off for risk and you have somewhere between 36-40 million as a possible contract depending on how much Dak is willing to bet on himself (with his injury insurance the answer is probably quite a bit).

CCBoy

Reaction score
If Dak does nothing, but sits on 2 tags, he makes more than Wilson on average. Then he is free to go into free agency where he will almost assuredly sign a deal that averages even more than that. Both of these are true statements. Dak has zero incentive to sign a deal that is less than that so whatever he signs will make him the highest paid player or he will just wait out the tags.

Now the lack of fans might make the cap go down next year (or maybe the new TV contracts considering the NFL will likely have record ratings will offset a lot of that), but 2 years from now when the stadiums are full again the numbers will be the massive skyrocket that was expected for next year and contracts will have the massive spike that players even now are preparing for. This will also apply to QB contracts, as before Covid, people were not talking about 40 million dollar QB contracts, they were talking about whether Mahomes and Watson and Dak get 50 million annually. When you take that number into account, Dak could get 43-45 and average 40 million per year over 40 years or exactly what he reportedly asked for.

Now taking a couple million off for risk and you have somewhere between 36-40 million as a possible contract depending on how much Dak is willing to bet on himself (with his injury insurance the answer is probably quite a bit).

How intuitive...an unsigned quarterback is always sitting on a bull market...you go ahead and hold those thoughts dearly.

His agents are full stride in making their own agenda famous. Jerry listening to them?

The whole country is suffering, and no money will be made in stadiums this year...carry on with the wishful thoughts. Good night...Prescott already has enough being offered. Even if he doesn't like that fact. Believe what you want, I won't buy it.

Adreme

Reaction score
How intuitive...an unsigned quarterback is always sitting on a bull market...you go ahead and hold those thoughts dearly.

His agents are full stride in making their own agenda famous. Jerry listening to them?

The whole country is suffering, and no money will be made in stadiums this year...carry on with the wishful thoughts. Good night...Prescott already has enough being offered. Even if he doesn't like that fact. Believe what you want, I won't buy it.

Kirk, I have never won a primetime game, Cousins (I cannot even put it all on him but its still funny), who is a worse QB had this exact situation happen and he got his record deal. Jimmy G, despite less than a season of starts, because of the situation, got his record deal. Everything you say about the cap is right, and I would even agree on what he deserves, but that is not the world we live in. Timing is everything. He can sit on the tag next year, and sign after when the cap goes up by 50 million to offset the expected 20 million drop (it was expected to go up by 20 million next year pre covid so when people are in stadiums in 2 years so its safe to assume the revenue shoots back up especially because in a lagging economy people crave the escapism of movies and sports and their sales do not suffer).

I am not playing favorites. I got my numbers by looking at historical trends and assuming those trends will continue to hold as they have held before and will likely hold after.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Kirk, I have never won a primetime game, Cousins (I cannot even put it all on him but its still funny), who is a worse QB had this exact situation happen and he got his record deal. Jimmy G, despite less than a season of starts, because of the situation, got his record deal. Everything you say about the cap is right, and I would even agree on what he deserves, but that is not the world we live in. Timing is everything. He can sit on the tag next year, and sign after when the cap goes up by 50 million to offset the expected 20 million drop (it was expected to go up by 20 million next year pre covid so when people are in stadiums in 2 years so its safe to assume the revenue shoots back up especially because in a lagging economy people crave the escapism of movies and sports and their sales do not suffer).

I am not playing favorites. I got my numbers by looking at historical trends and assuming those trends will continue to hold as they have held before and will likely hold after.

There’s no excuses for Dak Prescott this year. Jason Garrett is out. Mike McCarthy, the quarterback guru, is in at head coach. And a solid offseason for the Dallas Cowboys was capped when Jerry Jones orchestrated the steal of the draft by selecting CeeDee Lamb with the 17th overall pick, giving Dak yet another explosive weapon.

If the Cowboys offense falls short this season, it will be on Dak Prescott’s shoulders. But it’s not like Jerry Jones and the Cowboys haven’t set him up for success. He’s surrounded by what is arguably the best group of skilled position players in Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and now CeeDee Lamb. His job isn’t the carry the team on his back, but to simply get these guys the ball. If he can’t do that consistently then it’s time for the Cowboys move on.

Rumor has it that Prescott turned down an offer of at least $30 million annually back in March. As a result, the Cowboys hit him with the franchise tag. Prescott is essentially gambling on himself this season. If he delivers, he’s guaranteed a massive payday. If the Cowboys struggle, he will shoulder most of the blame...

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/07/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-pressure/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the deal will get done, meantime I like the fact Dak has stayed quite on this and allowed those he has hired to work this deal.

Batman1980

Reaction score
There’s no excuses for Dak Prescott this year. Jason Garrett is out. Mike McCarthy, the quarterback guru, is in at head coach. And a solid offseason for the Dallas Cowboys was capped when Jerry Jones orchestrated the steal of the draft by selecting CeeDee Lamb with the 17th overall pick, giving Dak yet another explosive weapon.

If the Cowboys offense falls short this season, it will be on Dak Prescott’s shoulders. But it’s not like Jerry Jones and the Cowboys haven’t set him up for success. He’s surrounded by what is arguably the best group of skilled position players in Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and now CeeDee Lamb. His job isn’t the carry the team on his back, but to simply get these guys the ball. If he can’t do that consistently then it’s time for the Cowboys move on.

Rumor has it that Prescott turned down an offer of at least $30 million annually back in March. As a result, the Cowboys hit him with the franchise tag. Prescott is essentially gambling on himself this season. If he delivers, he’s guaranteed a massive payday. If the Cowboys struggle, he will shoulder most of the blame...

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/07/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-pressure/

I would say after the HC got fired, pressure is also on Kellen Moore and Ezekiel Elliott to improve the offense. Even with losing Fredbeard and Randall Cobb.

Javier

Reaction score
No more excuses, Dak. Now stop crying and take us to a champ game.

He cant play like this again vs good teams

dallasdave

Reaction score
MEANWHILE....
40gfv3.jpg
In Puttyville @waldoputty