Video: Stephen Jones: Dak is more like Aikman than Romo

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s amazing it took all of 8 games for our fans to turn on Dak. I mean, embarrassing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the Romofanatics.

I don’t pay close enough attention to know who it is. But I was about as big a fan of Romo possible and it hasn’t impacted my ability to recognize good QB play from Dak. The emotional, irrational venting from grown adults gets so tedious though. Here we have a moderately interesting tidbit about what types of players they want to put around Dak, and it’s wasted because a partial comparison to Aikman was mentioned and people can’t handle the idea that there might be similarities Stephen noticed in how both guys approached the game of football.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe he is referring to his approach, because it sure isn't skillset. Aikman was more of a script follower, Romo a freestyler.

I think this is what is meant. Aikman relied on running a system the way it is supposed to be run, and Romo had more of a gunslinger mentality, and often relied on improvisation. I think Dak is more the Aikman kind.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, How could Dak's career 65% completion % ever dare to compete with AIkman's 59%....lol

A few of things wrong with that statement - first not really intellectually honest to compare career stats when one guy has played 2 years and the other 12.

Second Troys carrer Com Pct is 61.5

Third, your statement doesn't consider the way the game has changed and played....Go look up how many QBs had an around 65% comp pct in the early 90's compared to today...

Just looked it up - this past year, 7 of the top 10 QBs (in yards) had a comp pct of 64 or higher.

1993 - only 2 and if you look at the list some were in the 50s where today most QBs are 60 and above.

DFWJC

Reaction score
A few of things wrong with that statement - first not really intellectually honest to compare career stats when one guy has played 2 years and the other 12.

Third, your statement doesn't consider the way the game has changed and played....Go look up how many QBs had an around 65% comp pct in the early 90's compared to today...

Just looked it up - this past year, 7 of the top 10 QBs (in yards) had a comp pct of 64 or higher.

1993 - only 2 and if you look at the list some were in the 50s where today most QBs are 60 and above.
Yeah...completion percentages are absolutely not comparable now vs 25-30 years ago.
Way more 3 WR sets now and short routes with mismatches on LBs
Also, DBs could rough up the Wrs much more back then

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Skip and Shannon discuss Stephen Jones' comment: "Dak is more like Troy Aikman than Tony Romo."

Can people just stop taking this comment out of context and throwing a fit over it?

The context was clear. Dak is more like Aikman than Romo in the sense of of being better working within a system than improvising. Stephen was just using Aikman and Romo as exemplars to illustrate the distinction between working within a system vs. improvising. He wasn't claiming that Dak is as good as Aikman, or ever will be.Just stop it.

visionary

Reaction score
Can people just stop taking this comment out of context and throwing a fit over it?

The context was clear. Dak is more like Aikman than Romo in the sense of of being better working within a system than improvising. Stephen was just using Aikman and Romo as exemplars to illustrate the distinction between working within a system vs. improvising. He wasn't claiming that Dak is as good as Aikman, or ever will be.Just stop it.

Saying "Stephen is a moron" is never the wrong thing

Ken

Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with the statement (other than the 61.5%, sorry about that, must have superimposed his last couple of years as the career total), he does have a lower completion percentage than Dak for his career.

It is also true what you say about the differences in the game but that doesn't make the statement untrue. I just think that the inaccuracy knock on Dak is very overblown and exaggerated.

Ken

Reaction score
you mean aikman the guy who was repeatedly beat down his rookie year and didnt win one game and what the next year how many did he win his second year? the guy who threw aton of INTs and his last 1996 sb year he was 12 tds and 12 ints? that guy..you mean the guy that went 0-2 to start a post SB year just because he lost his Back In Emitt? you mean the guy that had like 17 HOF players with him and no slary cap guy?the QB that was known to be the key to handing off to Emitt and throwing when needed and had more sub 250yard games thanyou fans want to remember.. yes he shined in the playoffs but the Rg season numbers are very avg.. as much as i luv aikman and he was great on some of those playoff runs but at times he was bus driver and didnt put up gaudy numbers...So maybe the comparison is aikman was closer to a bus driver and suffered some when his stars were gone ? when he was being sacked a lot he was prone to some INT as well, whereas Romo was gunslinger who liked to go backyard sand lot at times to create where there was nothing.. It too Aikamn some time and a lot of stars to get going and maybe thats where the comparison stops but lets not have amnesia on Aikman where Emitt and that defense won aton of games with the coaching staff doing whatever it took to squeak out wins and that a lot of times was run heavy low passing numbers until they needed it....Jerry might be saying give Dak a chance because like Aikamn it took the right mix of players for that team to take off and aikman to become aikman..
Can you imagine if this message board existed with these same posters in Aikman's first two seasons where he had 36 ints?

This is why I can't help but chuckle when people want to bash a 2nd year player when he doesn't do everything perfectly like Romo did or Aikman...lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dak has scraps for WR's, so hopefully the additions pay off. I want Dez to be as great as he was the first half of his career, b
Can you imagine if this message board existed with these same posters in Aikman's first two seasons where he had 36 ints?

This is why I can't help but chuckle when people want to bash a 2nd year player when he doesn't do everything perfectly like Romo did or Aikman...lol
Right. And Aikman passed for 1,700 yards his first season and 2,580 his second. Those two seasons with a total of 20 TDs!

If that were now fans would be rioting in the streets.