Stephen Jones: 'Damn Sure' Won't Be 'Market-Setter' for New Contracts

pacboyX

Reaction score
I am really starting to not like Stephen. Agreed Jerry has paid the wrong people throughout Cowboy history. But Zeek, Dak and Amari are worthy of getting paid..not saying Dak is the best QB in the world but he is a leader and a winner. Stephen attitude just seems a lil stank and kind of a turn off. Jerry is definitely pro player almost to a fault but Stephen does haven’t to go to the whole other side of the scale.

aria

Reaction score
I like parity too.

Somebody send that memo to
The patriots already though.
Lol, kinda seems unfair, doesn’t it? As much as I’m not a big fan of Brady, at least he gets it and gives up $ to surround himself with better players because he wants to win.

I really don’t care how much his wife makes either, most of these guys make more than most of us would in several lifetimes in decade or less but they want every last penny they can get.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The RBs NFL life span is lower than other positions.
Hurns was coming off a devasting inury..PLUS its customary for the teams to have first right of refusal in voiding deals. THEY OWN THE TEAM. Its a business. Its cut throat sometimes and unfair. Zeke should be there. It was terrible lack of communication on his part. THE AGENT.
True...they own the team. Zeke owns his talent.

Team uses leverage = business
Player uses leverage = selfish

If it's a business, why is it frowned on for #21 and his agent to handle their business...

Rayman70

Reaction score
The RBs NFL life span is lower than other positions.

True...they own the team. Zeke owns his talent.

Team uses leverage = business
Player uses leverage = selfish

If it's a business, why is it frowned on for #21 and his agent to handle their business...
the timing. He had all off season..but he waits til now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am really starting to not like Stephen. Agreed Jerry has paid the wrong people throughout Cowboy history. But Zeek, Dak and Amari are worthy of getting paid..not saying Dak is the best QB in the world but he is a leader and a winner. Stephen attitude just seems a lil stank and kind of a turn off. Jerry is definitely pro player almost to a fault but Stephen does haven’t to go to the whole other side of the scale.
You would hate Belichick then.

If a players pulls a stunt like Zeke's holdout, that player almost always loses in the long run. He would end up trading Zeke to the worst team in the league. One with OLinemen that would struggle to block middle school DLinemen. Zeke would get paid by that team but end up 40th in rushing and looking completely inept. Zeke would get cut by that team after 2 or 3 years then beg to come back for a lowball salary.

LB Jamie complained about something.
- 2016 Belichick traded him to the Browns.
- March 4, 2019 Collins was cut by the Browns.
- March 15, 2019 Collins signs with the Pats.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

If a players pulls a stunt like Zeke's holdout, that player almost always loses in the long run. He would end up trading Zeke to the worst team in the league. One with OLinemen that would struggle to block middle school DLinemen. Zeke would get paid by that team but end up 40th in rushing and looking completely inept. Zeke would get cut by that team after 2 or 3 years then beg to come back for a lowball salary.

I beat beliCHEAT does more than just be an ****** to his players.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We’re a talent dependent franchise. We certainly aren’t going to have any more success with this coaching staff if we have less talent.

I agree my friend, we need as much talent as possible to overcome Coach Clappy.

That requires opening up the wallet and paying top dollar. These players are not stupid, they are not going to take these lowball offers.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Cheapo Stephen offering lowball contracts...…………….and we all wonder why Dak, Zeke, and Coop have not signed extensions yet.:laugh:

Hey Stephen, nobody gives a dam about having the honor of wearing the Star...……….aint gonna be no hometown discounts, so pay up cheapo.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The ramifications of a potential mega Zeke contract will kill the team, the cap...and ensure we cannot make player moves. Its the economics that don't marry up. The math doesn't work guys. Who you willing to cut if some of you all get your way and Zeke is signed? Do you all realize what that means if we sign him to more than Gurley got? IT WILL BE DEVASTATING. We would be 1 injury away from disaster.

You and me are tight on this board bro, I dig all your takes...…….but I have to politely disagree here with you my brother.

We drafted Zeke with a top 5 pick because we felt he could be f'ing Superman behind this offensive line. Well, we were right, Zeke has been as good as advertised on the field. If not for the suspension, he would have lead the league in rushing every single year since being drafted. Now I am just talking about on the field here, he has been everything we though he would be and then some, he is a flat out beast and the best RB in the entire NFL.

Now Zeke aint stupid and he has realized that if he is the best RB in the NFL, then he needs to be the highest paid RB in the NFL. This should not have come as a surprise to anybody, its human nature. If you are the best in your profession, then naturally you want to be compensated accordingly. Now some will say he signed a contract and that is your word of honor, but we all know contracts in the NFL are ripped up and redone all the time. Teams renegotiate contracts, ask players to take pay cuts, have players restructure, ect….so nobody should get their panties in a bunch over Zeke wanting more money before his rookie contract is up. I mean, it goes both ways, Hurns was just cut even though he still had one year left on his original contract.

So this all boils down to one thing, we did we draft a RB using a top 5 pick thinking he would be the best RB in the league if we were not prepared to make him the highest paid RB in the league?

pacboyX

Reaction score

Was Jamie drafted by the Patriots 4th overall? Did Jamie lead the league in rushing and rush attempts while running into stacked boxes? Did the Patriots use up and discard the LB right before him? Two completely different teams..winning Super Bowls and appearing on consistent basis kinda gets you some leeway. I’m guessing he was paid by the Browns seeing as how he was there 3 years, now he came back to Patriots to try and win..looks like it ended up decent for that player.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Yeah... I'm sure that crossed his mind.
How ridiculous...

Hey! Should I play in the NFL under an unfair Rookie contract and get relatively screwed, or bag groceries?

Come on now. And your posit makes no gander towards the fact that the Rookie contracts are unfair, especially to top performing RB's.

Rookie contracts took that downward turn because of how many times rookies used to get overpaid and then underperformed.