Stephen Jones: 'Damn Sure' Won't Be 'Market-Setter' for New Contracts

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
He's referring to Dak and Coop, genius
"We've got three really good football players that we're dealing with here and that have very good representation. And they want to see the market," Jones said, via Jon Machota of The Athletic. "We can't push the issue unless we want to be a market-setter. And we're damn sure not going to be a market-setter, because of all the things that go with being a Dallas Cowboy."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001038182/article/stephen-jones-cowboys-wont-be-a-marketsetter

Read the article...three players.

I love talking Cowboys football with 99% of you. But AbeBeta is the 1% that is rude and hateful. No need to be like that man. I made an opinion and you just became obnoxious.

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
My number 1 issue with Zeke holding out is because of his behavior. Has it been the worst? No, but it's been an issue. The DV crap that went down. Something happened. He shouldn't have been suspended but he was and you can make the case it cost that team. The St. Patty's day incident, the bar fight in July 2017, the concert, and now this crash. It just adds up. Jerry Jones has had Zeke's back. He has zero leverage. If Zeke was a choir boy then I would totally understand him holding out to make a point. But he doesn't have one. I'm with you, shut up and play. Show up to camp and get ready. This team has a chance to be special (coaching will probably ruin this). Fair or unfair he has TWO years left. Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper, and Byron Jones have one. They need to sign those guys first. I think Zeke will show up next Tuesday with no deal. I think he is doing this because his agent is pushing him to and it's to try and prove a point-make me a priority or this will happen next year and it will get ugly. I don't blame Jerry for being upset. I get Zeke wanting to make money but he really should have thought of this before he was getting drunk and stupid.
:clap:

Johnny23

Reaction score
My money is on Suuuuuuuuuuper Bowl with or without Zeke!

GCQewy4.jpg
Some of us don't have money to burn. And aren't delusional fanboys.

Altestic

Reaction score
I'd put Dak on the top of the list .
no. Dak actually has the least leverage of the 3. The fact he's been low paid to date means diddly squat. You don't give lifetime achievement contracts. You pay for forecasted performance over the new contract, not past performance from the old contract. Past performance shows that he's been able to help win games at a decent clip with a lot of help, but he has a lot of limitations at QB. The Cowboys spent next to nothing in draft value to get Dak and would gain a heck of a lot more than they lost if they let him go or ultimately traded him.

Zeke... Romo pick or not, the Cowboys spent their only premium pick of this generation on him... #4 overall.

Cooper... Cowboys traded their 2019 1st round pick on him, despite being a win now team and likely being a bottom 15 team without him in a loaded defensive draft.

Both of those guys have way more leverage. They're married to Cooper and with Zeke, there's no possible way they come out even (much less ahead) in draft capital if they lose him by any which way. Conversely with Dak, there's no possible way they DON'T come out ahead if they DO lose Dak.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
no. Dak actually has the least leverage of the 3. The fact he's been low paid to date means diddly squat. You don't give lifetime achievement contracts. You pay for forecasted performance over the new contract, not past performance from the old contract. Past performance shows that he's been able to help win games at a decent clip with a lot of help, but he has a lot of limitations at QB. The Cowboys spent next to nothing in draft value to get Dak and would gain a heck of a lot more than they lost if they let him go or ultimately traded him.

Zeke... Romo pick or not, the Cowboys spent their only premium pick of this generation on him... #4 overall.

Cooper... Cowboys traded their 2019 1st round pick on him, despite being a win now team and likely being a bottom 15 team without him in a loaded defensive draft.

Both of those guys have way more leverage. They're married to Cooper and with Zeke, there's no possible way they come out even (much less ahead) in draft capital if they lose him by any which way. Conversely with Dak, there's no possible way they DON'T come out ahead if they DO lose Dak.

Dak at #14 ranks way better than half of the QBs in the league, which by the way , a lot of those QBs were drafted in the 1st round .

X550i

Reaction score
Camp is barely a week old and once again drama dominates the headlines for the Cowboys. Yeah, this is our year - Super Bowl or bust!

My money is on "bust", again. It's an odd-numbered year, isn't it?

Typically drama occurs AFTER you win the Super Bowl. Not with these
Then why did he say we "damn sure" aren't going to be a market setter? He is LITERALLY on record saying that. They want to reset the market and pay him LESS.

YOU pay attention please.

Exhibit A & B as to why you should not believe ANYTHING SJ says. I have never heard of any NFL team where the Owner, VP, GM blab so much to media. Seriously, they both are on the local media everywhere here in Dallas.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Lamen terms...."We can't afford these MFs"
BS... Amari Cooper isnt getting Julio or Thomas money, I have seen Julio Jones, and Amari Cooper is no Julio Jones sir......

Dak Prescott can want 32 million all day, but name me another NFL team that would be willing to pay Dak 30 plus million. I dont care what Wentz got.

Zeke?... now Zeke is the only one of the three that could say he should be the highest paid, or at least in the top 3 at RB pay.... but unfortunately for him, he has two more years plus a possible franchise tag facing him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
"We've got three really good football players that we're dealing with here and that have very good representation. And they want to see the market," Jones said, via Jon Machota of The Athletic. "We can't push the issue unless we want to be a market-setter. And we're damn sure not going to be a market-setter, because of all the things that go with being a Dallas Cowboy."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001038182/article/stephen-jones-cowboys-wont-be-a-marketsetter

Read the article...three players.

I love talking Cowboys football with 99% of you. But AbeBeta is the 1% that is rude and hateful. No need to be like that man. I made an opinion and you just became obnoxious.

He's literally already said Gurley is the starting point for Zeke.

Please pay attention to more than the last thing you heard.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Get a new deal for Dak and Cooper first.

Zeke and his agent know what's up. Too much drama and 2 years left on his deal.

1. I get a deal done w/ Cooper.

2. Let Dak play out his deal...then franchise him a year...draft a guy next year...start the grooming process. I'd never pay a QB 30-40 million.

3. I'm done w/ the knucklehead in Cabo. Trade...sign Ajayi.

aria

Reaction score
Some of us don't have money to burn. And aren't delusional fanboys.
That’s why it’s called gambling chief, if I really thought we would win I would put a lot more on them. I’m hardly delusional if you read any of ky posts but I am more optimistic this year than I have been in awhile.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
While I would agree, the patriots are always an outlier. Philadelphia had the highest paid RT in the world when he signed his deal, and Cox was a top 2-3 biggest contract DT. Kelce is currently the highest paid center I believe, and we definitely have the most expensive DT duo and one of the highest paid Olines. Denver shelled out massive money to Manning, Ward, Ware, Talib and Demaryius Thomas in 2012-2014. Seahawks are considered one of the most frugal teams and just made Bobby Wagner the highest paid LB ever.

And that's the last 3 SB winners not named NE. Put together the best roster you can, using the entire salary cap. If you're better with 16m$ worth of role players than 16m$ worth of Ezekiel Elliot, then don't pay him. But if Zeke makes you a contender, if Zeke is your great advantage other people don't have, then I don't get what this whole pissing contest is going to achieve for Dallas. Because if you don't want to pay him the biggest contract any of us has ever seen, 5+ other teams will be waiting for him to finally break free, cash in hand. And then you can give that 16 million to Alfred Morris and some other still available FA's and cross your fingers.

The Dallas front office doesn't govern itself by what those here on this website have to say about Ezekiel. They're surely intent upon keeping him in tow, although, it remains to be seen what he'll get and exactly how long his holdout lasts. He's not likely to go past August 6 to settle, in my opinion but that remains to be seen. He's not going anywhere. Dallas has him wrapped up for the next two years by contract. He'll be paid a reasonable amount to stick around but exactly what that is will be worked out to the satisfaction of both sides. I doubt he's going anywhere else other than Dallas, by the looks of things. The organization is well aware of his value to the team. Regardless of his transgressions in the past, he'll be back.

The defense should be better than it was last year. Exactly how much is yet to be seen. Our pass rush will improve considerably by all indications. Right now, the offense is where much of our efforts are being made to improve, with the OL being in a state of transition back to what it was in the past. An extended return of health to Travis Frederick would be a huge factor. As of now, he's coming along well. I'm confident everyone will be paid enough to maintain a competitive advantage over most teams. A tough schedule for Dallas in 2019 makes it a sobering challenge, however.

Last edited:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
The simple answer should be softer cap restrictions on players drafted by the organization.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My hunch is Dallas' offer went like this on Zeke. "Your client still has 2 years remaining on a deal HE AGREED TO, so he either plays or he can stay home." I'm no expert and have no inside knowledge, but sometimes this is how things begin in contract situations like this. IF that happened, Zekes' agent did counter offer I expect ...just to piss off the Jones family. THUS...the expected reaction by Stevie and Pops at the pressers. No accident why Zeke promptly left for Cabo. Its a cat and mouse game, and a dangerous one, being played by the agent. To me, Zeke is cutting his nose off to spite his face. One year left on his deal, then I would understand more...but with 2 years left...and the timing of it...it stinks to high Heaven.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The simple answer should be softer cap restrictions on players drafted by the organization.
I think maybe the opposite should happen...tighter hardline cap restrictions. THEN THE PLAYERS,AGENTS AND TEAM WOULD BE ON THE SAME PAGE. CLARITY WOULD BE A GOOD THING. I said it before, we need a slotted veteran salary cap in place,based on performance, tenure. Right now, 1 players agent is attempting to hold one team hostage. That needs to get under control.