Twitter: Stephen Jones on adding depth at LT

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m not sure what roster he’s looking at that our EVP thinks “we’re not loaded with depth” at the OL

:muttley:

News flash: We don’t have quality starters on OL moron

:facepalm:

And by the way, let's be very clear here. We only lost ONE OL to serious injury here. If we don't have "depth" after replacing just one OL, you never had depth to begin with. They literally didn't sign on vet OL in FA, even with all the questions we had along the OL.

That's just pure insanity.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dumb move. Tyler Smith is going to struggle since he hasn't practiced at Left Tackle all summer long.

It's better than Ball. The best option is go get a vet like a Fisher. But after that, Smith is probably the best of some bad options. I guess you could shake up the entire OL and try to run Martin out there as OT and let Smith and McGovern handle the OG spots.

starfan1

Reaction score
It's better than Ball. The best option is go get a vet like a Fisher. But after that, Smith is probably the best of some bad options. I guess you could shake up the entire OL and try to run Martin out there as OT and let Smith and McGovern handle the OG spots.
Im not certain that Smith is going to be worse than fisher by much.Id like one more guy for depth and maybe kick ball to the curb but they want to give him every chance to get better

morasp

Reaction score
Barring a signing from the upcoming cuts I wouldn't expect a vested veteran signing until after the Bucs game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's troubling. Ball showed some improvement this last preseason game. I would probably start Ball due to how he has been getting all reps as Tyron's backup. I'm just worried if Tyler struggles and starts committing holding penalties, it might affect him psychologically and set him back if you try to move him back to Guard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Based on the time of year that's all you can really expect. Shame on the Cowboys for not bringing in more depth a few months back, but it's September in a couple of days. Starting caliber LTs are not just sitting on the FA wire.

Sure they are. Fischer is sitting right there.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Thats exactly how I took it. They’ve already penciled in smith at lt. It’s just adding some backups now. I was hoping for a trade but clearly not.

What a complete disaster. Jerry's inability to be a proper GM and Tyron Smith's luck.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Sure they are. Fischer is sitting right there.
Is he starting caliber though? Maybe 2021 was a bit of a rehab year for the guy, but he was pretty bad a year ago. 7 sacks and 41 pressures given up. I'm thinking a trade is going to be our best option for a reliable player, but I'm sure trade prices right now are astronomical.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Is he starting caliber though? Maybe 2021 was a bit of a rehab year for the guy, but he was pretty bad a year ago. 7 sacks and 41 pressures given up. I'm thinking a trade is going to be our best option for a reliable player, but I'm sure trade prices right now are astronomical.
They are. Thats what happens when your LT goes down and you lose all of your leverage.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Dont known for sure. But he isnt a bad option considering.

starfan1

Reaction score
There will be growing pains, but its not Smith I am so worried about. McGovern sucks.
I think hes better than he was but ya the left side scares me. and if the center position is the same as last year then Moore is going to have to get creative

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dont known for sure. But he isnt a bad option considering.
Oh for sure. Considering the alternatives I'm not against it at all. I struggle to just pencil him in as a starter, but he isnt nothing either.....It would just feel like a "blah" type of move to me. Guess it really just depends on if you want to roll the dice on a Fischer or McGovern. I'm assuming a lot here, but I have to believe that if Fischer was willing to come in on a low dollar prove it type of deal he would already be in camp with someone.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
“We’re always looking to upgrade our roster"

That's funny, everything you do/don't do says the opposite. He is a BS artist just like his pops.