Twitter: Stephen Jones on adding depth at LT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dumb move. Tyler Smith is going to struggle since he hasn't practiced at Left Tackle all summer long.

I think he'd be liable to struggle even if he had practiced there all summer. The reason Tyler was available at 24 had little to do ability and everything to do with technique work he needs to master. Some of those issues with hand placement showed up even at guard in the preseason. When he's got speedy ends throwing all kinds of moves at him and his hand placement is bad, he's either going to hold or get beat.

The good news is their should be lots of times when his sheer physical strength allows him to look dominate, and with technique work over time, he should be able to become consistently dominant. No one needs to get too downtrodden about him until then. It's not his fault that the Joneses are throwing him to the wolves instead of allowing him to learn how to tame them first.

gimmesix

Reaction score
“We’re always looking to upgrade our roster"

That's funny, everything you do/don't do says the opposite. He is a BS artist just like his pops.

Now, you don't know how many players they've looked at and said, "He would be an upgrade to our roster," before getting back to sipping mai-tais on the yacht. Looking doesn't mean buying.

conner01

Reaction score
Just talking about adding a scrub for depth. Not looking at a legitimate starter.
That’s possible but I’m betting they are looking to add a starter quality LT also improves depth since everyone else moves back a slot
Getting it done is the question

gimmesix

Reaction score
I say heck no to Jason "fat guy" Peters. IMHO, he stinks and always has. I think he should be considered the most overrated player in NFL history.

Sure wish we still had Ty or Fleming here right about now.

I say your vision is blinded if you think that Peters has always stunk.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think hes better than he was but ya the left side scares me. and if the center position is the same as last year then Moore is going to have to get creative

Poor Biadasz has had to start his career trying to block next to Connor Williams and Mcgovern.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh for sure. Considering the alternatives I'm not against it at all. I struggle to just pencil him in as a starter, but he isnt nothing either.....It would just feel like a "blah" type of move to me. Guess it really just depends on if you want to roll the dice on a Fischer or McGovern. I'm assuming a lot here, but I have to believe that if Fischer was willing to come in on a low dollar prove it type of deal he would already be in camp with someone.

He isnt willing to play for a prove it. He has turned down offers.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s possible but I’m betting they are looking to add a starter quality LT also improves depth since everyone else moves back a slot
Getting it done is the question

We have seen nothing to indicate that what Jones will do. The opposite in fact. I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Just talking about adding a scrub for depth. Not looking at a legitimate starter.
That’s not what he said. That’s what the writer wrote. Look for the quotes, not the opinions. I’m holding out hope the team isn’t stupid enough to go into the season without adding an OL that can at a minim7m compete for a starting job

Jarntt

Reaction score
so after bad play from our OL in 21', we'll have down grades at LT & LG and likley swing tackle in 2022.

Should be a fun season.
Forget 2021. In 2020 we were horrible and yet the Jones boys were good with our group. Oh yeah, we added a 4th rounder with off the field issues and an aging vet who was already done

Jarntt

Reaction score
I’m not sure what roster he’s looking at that our EVP thinks “we’re not loaded with depth” at the OL

:muttley:

News flash: We don’t have quality starters on OL moron

:facepalm:
Actually we have good depth players, the problem is the depth guys are actually our starters!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s not what he said. That’s what the writer wrote. Look for the quotes, not the opinions. I’m holding out hope the team isn’t stupid enough to go into the season without adding an OL that can at a minim7m compete for a starting job

Im at the point where I have lost most of my hope.

Dre11

Reaction score
Gee I guess that is why they played him at guard all summer ! lol makes sense!

They played him at guard because they wanted to get him on the field and he had to get reps there since he hadn't played it since HS. Tackle is what he played all college. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

starfan1

Reaction score
Poor Biadasz has had to start his career trying to block next to Connor Williams and Mcgovern.
Poor biadasz? I think he has been part of the problem as well I’d rather have fairnark however you spell it