Twitter: Stephen Jones on adding depth at LT

Rayman70

Reaction score
depth ...muh..hey here is an idea, what about finding a danged starter? What good is depth if the starter is substandard?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Keep dreaming! Never going to happen. Jerry is locked in and Stephen is waiting his turn.
and don't forget about Charlotte and Jerry jr in the pipeline. The Joneses have the family grift all set ^ and they are here 2 stay the next 2 decades at least.

Hoods

Reaction score
I’m not sure what roster he’s looking at that our EVP thinks “we’re not loaded with depth” at the OL

:muttley:

News flash: We don’t have quality starters on OL moron

:facepalm:
He said we're not not loaded with depth.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I'd just like to see us add a vet as depth at least. Don't think anyone could feel comfortable with Ball and Waletzko at this point, and we have no idea how Tyler will fare.

There isn’t much difference between a 4th round pick and 5th round pick in terms of raw talent. After you get out of the top 100 draft prospects, which typically are ranked higher because of talent, later round picks are very fungible. It comes down to team needs and team perceptions. So, the difference in base talent level between Ball and Waletzko is not really determined by their draft status.

Obviously, Ball has been around a year, but Waletzko can catch up fast this year. Both of them were all-conference left tackles in college, one at Marshall, and the other for national champions North Dakota. It will be interesting to see who becomes the better player. David Baktiari, the Pro Bowl left tackle for the Packers was a 4th round pick, so it’s possible for a late round pick to become a top player. Let’s hope either Ball or Waletzko can make the jump. It would by ironic for Waletzko, who was selected with the pick the Cowboys got when trading Amari Cooper, to become a long-time starter for the Cowboys.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It's troubling. Ball showed some improvement this last preseason game. I would probably start Ball due to how he has been getting all reps as Tyron's backup. I'm just worried if Tyler struggles and starts committing holding penalties, it might affect him psychologically and set him back if you try to move him back to Guard.

Fans place too much emphasis on pre-season games, when in fact today's pre-season games don't include much competition between starters. The competition with starters occurs during practices, and the coaches are going to make their assessments more on practices than on the games we see as fans. The Cowboys have not committed publicly to who will replace Tyron Smith as left tackle against the Buccaneers. I expect that Tyler Smith, Ball and Waletzko will all get some time in practice to show what they have to offer.

Of course, as their 1st round pick (and ostensible left-tackle-of-the-future), Tyler Smith will get first dibs. But if he shows to be incompetent playing the position over the next two weeks, Ball will get the start instead. Both will get time in practice this week to show who deserves the start against the Bucs. Waletzko could prove over time to be the better option, but because of his injury in camp, and his inexperience as a pro, I doubt he gets much chance to show what he's got this coming 12 days. The Cowboys may want to keep him practicing at right tackle in case something happens to Steele.